Help 4412?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Airhog
Help 4412?

Post by Airhog »

355 chevy 4412 on gas, every once in a while it will just dump all the fuel out of the boosters. I took the needle out cleaned everything including the rest of the carb, set the float by eye sight then set the float on the car. Started the car several times ran perfect then the next day it dumped the fuel again. Before I just change the needle did anyone else have this problem and it might have started from something else. Thanks
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-are you saying it just starts to flood and will continue to flood?
-or all of the fuel just comes gushing out and the bowl ends up basically dry?
------------------------------------------
-I'd be lookin at the O-ring on the outside of the needle housing---get the fuel pressure down to about 5#---look at the pad on the float to make sure it not worn where the bottom of the needle rides etc.
----------------------------------------
-Had the same exact problem last week---a guy had the spring loaded needles for offroad use----installed upside down to where the brass button was up agaisnt the discharge hole and the viton point was down.
-------------------------------------------------
-A long shot the bowl hole being mismachined and crooked in relation to the top where the gasket sets.
-Might want to trim off the orange flapper tip that stick up under the side of the float.
Airhog
Post by Airhog »

Bill what will happen is the car can run in the garage its fine. Move it around say in a parking area and back it in the garage and its still fine. Take it for a ride and bring it back and it still might be fine or it will stall and dump the fuel right out of the boosters until i guess the pressure from the line is gone. It will dump probally about 4-8 oz in the manifold.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-it sounds like a combination of too much fuel pressure and a tired O-ring on the OD of needle housing.
-That O-ring needs to be replaced about once a year to insure against flooding problems from what I've seen---especially if you have 7# or more fuel pressure.
-----------------------------------------
-I have also seen where heat can cause high fuel pressure lke if you have a black steel reinforced hydraulic type hose or a rigid steel tube up from a stock type mechanical fuel pump---if the small return hose has plugged off or the pump doesn't have a pressure bleed orifice inside the pump.
-What happens is the pressure is normally fairly high between the pump and the carburetor and then the heat creates even more pressure.
--------------------------------------------
-A black hose is really bad because it readily absorbs heat.
------------------------------------------
-I'd install a fuel pressure gauge and see what it tells you--then regulate the pressure down to about 5psi.
notslowonN2O
Post by notslowonN2O »

I had the exact same problem on a brand new right out of the box carb. It was the floats chattering ( vibrating) and letting fuel by. I played with the float levels and pump pressure some and have not had it since !!!
Airhog
Post by Airhog »

#8 braided line with a holley mechanical pump. The carb has been raced before and no problems. The car sat for two years being started every two months. I'll check the oring and everything again and let ya know.

Thanks
Nwguy

Post by Nwguy »

Since the car has been sitting for a while, Change the fuel filter, Make sure that there is nothing in the fuel lines, and that the fuel lines are not FALLING APART internally.

Just what has happened to me.
Airhog
Post by Airhog »

I was thinking the same thing but didnt find any thing in the bowl.( I guess i wont because it went down the to the pan anyway :cry: )
The filter is a log type used for circle track, all lines a braided but are older. How long does it take for this stuff to start breaking down. I just dont want to believe that could happen because then I would have to tear the thing apart fix it and it would cost. Thanks
Airhog
Post by Airhog »

Found a little dirt in the bowl but the oring looks like the problem. Didnt have time I'll get it tomorrow. Thanks guys