400 sbc head gasket

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

70MC
Pro
Pro

400 sbc head gasket

Post by 70MC »

I have a stroked 400 sbc (434) with the steam holes pluged, that i have been using as a street/strip car for 3 years with no problems. I have been using a 1034 Fel Pro with no modifications to the gasket. I have deck plugs in the upper side of the block that have .218 holes in the outer 2 plugs and a .440 hole in the middle plug. The motor is apart now and will soon be used as an everyday driver, that will see some track time. I am now going to use Cometic gaskets that they have for the Brodix heads part#C5403-.045 and noticed that the 4 outer holes in the gasket that are in the area where the steam holes would be are smaller .125, than the Fel pros .186 and the middle holes where most of the heat is are larger .540 when compared to the Fel Pros at .440.I am looking at Brodix's catalog and see that they call for 6, 3/8 (.375) holes to be punched in the gasket in the area of the steam holes. Their heads have a hershey kiss shape to them where the lower steam holes would be, and both of these gasket cover the holes in the heads as though the gasket themselves would make steam pockets.
The fact that i had no apparent problem for 3 years does not mean everything was as good as it could have been and maybe i should have pounched holes in the Fel Pros. Should i punch 3/8 holes in the Cometics a little higher, near where the steam holes would be, but of course stay within the embossed part of the Cometic gasket, there is alot of room to go higher. What would everyone else do, or what has everyone done?

Thanks, Jim.
Last edited by 70MC on Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

I have a dart SBC. 400 block and heads with no steam holes...On the Dyno made over 1100 hp.(Blown) its in a street car with AC,I drive it with the AC on when its over a 100 out in Bumper to bumper traffic for more then 3 years.No holes,no problems... :D :D :D :D OLDHEAD
Quicker then most
70MC
Pro
Pro

Re: *

Post by 70MC »

oldhead wrote:I have a dart SBC. 400 block and heads with no steam holes...On the Dyno made over 1100 hp.(Blown) its in a street car with AC,I drive it with the AC on when its over a 100 out in Bumper to bumper traffic for more then 3 years.No holes,no problems... :D :D :D :D OLDHEAD
Are you using Cometic gaskets? I have had good luck with other street driven 400s with pluged steam holes, and the steam holes are not my concern, i wanted to give as much info pertaining to this engine as possable. It is the fact that these Cometics have tiny 1/8 inch holes for water to pass through. They do have a larger hole in the middle lower part of the gasket where the 2 center exhaust ports are, when compared to the Fel Pros, .540 to .440. I will have to edit my first post since i have the Cometic as having the same size hole in this position.
It seems to me that the Cometic will cut down on water volume passing through the head. It really got me worried when i read what Brodix says to do.
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work