Just for interest's sake - Weslake SB Chevy 4-valve heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Just for interest's sake - Weslake SB Chevy 4-valve heads

Post by shoedoos »

This sold for $NZ15k back in 2008 down in New Zealand - pretty sure some of you will be interested to see inside a Weslake headed SB Chevy....

promachine
Pro
Pro

Re: Just for interest's sake - Weslake SB Chevy 4-valve heads

Post by promachine »

I have one of these Westlake chevys in my shop now and from what I have heard there was only 5-10 sets of these heads made.
h.p. peddler
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Really interesting- thanks for posting. Looks like the motor was coupled to a '70s ZF transaxle- probably from a Pantera- and had the world's longest pushrods!
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Fantasic pictures. Any more?

By the way, there was a Gurney V-8 engine which had three valves per cylinder. I'd be very keen to know if anyone has any pictures of that one!

Ratu
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

that's it.....these were sent to me by the guy who was selling the engine.....
old_chopper
Re: Just for interest's sake - Weslake SB Chevy 4-valve head

Post by old_chopper »

Do these heads ever come up for sale? I'd love to have a set.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Looking at those, I'm getting an Ardun vibe. Lot's of engineering, casting and complication to work with the common short block of the day. Anyone want to wager today's better LS heads will make more horsepower per cubic inch?

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Warpspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warpspeed »

Back in the day... I remember people used to drool over the fantastically expensive Cosworth DOHC four valve heads.
They were about the ultimate development in their time, when most of us were driving pushrod engines with siamesed ports.

Today even Hyundai make DOHC four valve heads probably just as good, and fit it to their cheapest commuter shoe box transport.
Cheers, Tony.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Warpspeed wrote:Back in the day... I remember people used to drool over the fantastically expensive Cosworth DOHC four valve heads.
They were about the ultimate development in their time, when most of us were driving pushrod engines with siamesed ports. Today even Hyundai make DOHC four valve heads probably just as good, and fit it to their cheapest commuter shoe box transport.
And you can buy a low miles, perfectly running, 32-valve quad-cam 5.0L Porsche V8 complete with harnesses and auxiliaries off Ebay for $2500.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

And you can buy a low miles, perfectly running, 32-valve quad-cam 5.0L Porsche V8 complete with harnesses and auxiliaries off Ebay for $2500.
As much as I loved driving the 928, if someone tried to give me one today, I'd chase him off with a shotgun. The local Porsche dealer is relatively new and if he didn't sell it, he doesn't want to see it in his shop. There's literally no one in 300 miles who stocks any parts; much less anyone who's ever seen the inside of a 928 V8 or knows how to change the water pump. I've been inside one and hope never to go there again.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
JCR
Pro
Pro

Post by JCR »

The phrase of "never own a German car out of warranty" was originated from the 928.
Warpspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warpspeed »

The 928 engine is a great engine.... until you need to buy spares or work on one.

But how about some of the Japanese DOHC four valve V8s ?
Now used in many SUVs there are enough of them around and they are not expensive, and many go faster bits are available from Japan.
At least in oZ, it would make much more financial sense than a 928 Porka or BMW V8, great engines though they both are.
Cheers, Tony.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Hey - it's nor as bad as you say, if you do your own work! A gasket set is only about as much as the down payment on a new ford focus.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
wil8115
Pro
Pro

Post by wil8115 »

PackardV8 wrote:Looking at those, I'm getting an Ardun vibe. Lot's of engineering, casting and complication to work with the common short block of the day. Anyone want to wager today's better LS heads will make more horsepower per cubic inch?

jack vines

I wouldn't doubt it hp/litre vs hp/litre.. but for cool factor LS can't compete. 8)

Anyone have the flow numbers? would be curious how much more they got then heads of the same era.
I have a set of older Brodix -8's(may '88 castings) got them to 282@.600 and were still climbing at .800(301)
with just a 2.02.
old_chopper

Post by old_chopper »

I'm sure there are heads out there today that out perform these and I bet the valvetrain is rpm limited, but, there aren't any that would look as cool as these in an open fendered hot rod! I wonder if there would be a market if a shop brought these or similar heads back.