Anyone remember the old Holley Street Dominator intake?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Anyone remember the old Holley Street Dominator intake?

Post by PackardV8 »

The Street Dominator intake was a very low profile design and may be what this application needs to fit under a small block Mopar stock hood.

IIRC, it came in two versions, an open plenum single plane and a divided plenum with a "Z-port"- a curved port connecting cylinders 7 & 8 across the back of the manifold. I can't find any info as to what this Z-port was supposed to accomplish. Any small block Mopar experts out there have any experience with these two?

Also, I'm in the market for the 318" small-port open plenum version if you've got one gathering dust somewhere.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: Anyone remember the old Holley Street Dominator intake?

Post by bigjoe1 »

Do not waste too much time looking for those manifolds, they were VERY BAD. I mean they lost HP from a stock cast iron manifold.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I've got one for a SBC, never saw one for a Mopar.
Jim
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Back in the eightys I was running a 351C in Super Stock. Had several Torquers and a scorpion with loads of work done to 'em, an out of the box Strip Dominator was over a tenth quicker than my best one. Eventually that Holley manifold was part of the car's record setting combination. Guess I can't speak to ill of them.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

I had both at one time--now I just have the water heated w2 holley intake.

I ran the open dominator and thought the motor pulled harder at top end ? I replaced it with a tall RPM and lower-mid ranger was better but I swear the holley was better after 5,000

The divider one I never ran cause it hit the dist clips and I didn't feel likely screwing with the timing, I had my doubts too on it. Those I believe were meant for the late 70's cars with 2.73-even 2.45 rear gears. They were to give better mpg--and may had ? The divider boost low rpm power but screws up the a/f, those back cylinders ran either rich or lean--not sure but by joining them it was to solve that problem

When you put a divider on a single plane, the rear cylinders some how needed some help and by joining the 2 runners was to compensate.

They were very low and I believe was their best points.

The strip intakes were higher and ran much stronger
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

SupStk wrote:Back in the eightys I was running a 351C in Super Stock. Had several Torquers and a scorpion with loads of work done to 'em, an out of the box Strip Dominator was over a tenth quicker than my best one. Eventually that Holley manifold was part of the car's record setting combination. Guess I can't speak to ill of them.
He said STREET Dominator and I agree with Joe they were a waste of money that sounded like you had a bad a$$ intake. The STRIP Dominator is a very good intake.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

Gas was 75 cents to $1 a gallon back when they were being sold brand new. Many folks were after better mpg, not more power. They had 450 cfm 4 bbl carbs to be used with the intakes for best mpg. If you could go from 12 to 15 mpg you were happy. Some folks really drove @ 55 mph, they were looking for max mpg at low rpms on the freeways. Some claim to be getting 20 plus mpg

When gas stayed around a buck a gallon for like forever, those intakes faded away

The strip intakes were for max hp and you didn't use the 450 cfm economizer carbs :lol:
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Dodge Freak wrote:Gas was 75 cents to $1 a gallon back when they were being sold brand new. Many folks were after better mpg, not more power. They had 450 cfm 4 bbl carbs to be used with the intakes for best mpg. If you could go from 12 to 15 mpg you were happy. Some folks really drove @ 55 mph, they were looking for max mpg at low rpms on the freeways. Some claim to be getting 20 plus mpg

When gas stayed around a buck a gallon for like forever, those intakes faded away

The strip intakes were for max hp and you didn't use the 450 cfm economizer carbs :lol:
I totally agree! :D
The SP2P was a whole different animal. :oops:
GURU is only a name.
Adam
DUNNUCKRACING

Post by DUNNUCKRACING »

Yes the Street Dominator and Strip Dominator were two different animals. I had a small port Street Dominator for sale last year and had no takers,I eventually gave it away to a guy looking for a 318 port 4 barrel intake.
I see them on E-bay all the time with people bidding more than I asked for the one I had,go figure! Anyway,you might check on there.
Keith
Dunnuck Racing Enterprise
Engine development and dyno tuning
340king
Expert
Expert

Post by 340king »

Jack, the only small port open plenum intake that I can think of is the stock cast iron 273 Commando intake. I have a couple of the 2 bbl versions, but not the 4 bbl version. I think the late 80's cop cars had what you are looking for, but I am not sure. It would be cast iron.

The old Weiand 7546 would be the closest thing, but it comes with the larger ports. Maybe an Edelbrock Torquer or Torquer II would also be an option. They appear to have the 340/360 port also.

http://www.cglfc.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26636

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mopar-edelbrock ... _500wt_949

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-EDELBROCK ... 1295wt_932
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Thanks for the info. More detail on what we're doing here.

FWIW, one of our Studebaker V8 guys takes any of the aftermarket small block Mopar aluminum intakes, mills off the mounting flange, mills two adapter plates, welds them together and we use them on Studes.

Of course, the best performing intakes are the taller single planes. However, some of us bought Studebakers for the unique styling and refuse to screw it up with a hole in the hood. The Street Dominator is the lowest known profile SBM intake, so we're hoping it will fit under the hood, increase performance and allow the use of a spread bore carb, should one want that.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

Well it will allow you to run any carb you like.

I had a few carbs when I was using the dominator, one was a 750 dp with annular boosters. That carb seemed the best-a noticeable difference in the mid range--for the better and seem to pull as hard on the top end--6,000 max back then.

When I put the RPM dual plane intake on, the annular booster carb was weaker then the downleg booster carbs. Try jetting all for best seat of the pants power.

All this was 3--5 years back. in 2008 I put a Eddle D-66 dual quad intake on and two nos 500 cfm Carter carbs from the 1990's. Once I got the jetting right-and removed the front carb air secondary door and lighten up the rear carb secondary air door and hook the carbs 1 to 1, it idles the best-strongest and has even throttle response and great power.

All my single intakes and all my holley-demon stuff was sold on ebay in 2009--expect for the street dominator water heated w2 intake. No regrets to this day. That intake is still called the street dominator-cause of the water heat under the carb but is taller-like the strip intakes and has oval-larger ports

The dual quad intake has small 318 size ports, yet has great power. Some of the runners are very short thou and I'm using MP iron heads based of the late 80's 308 heads.It seals just fine but a few places its just a 1/8 -i used a tiny amount rtv a few places to seal-I hated do it but it work and it was on the outside of the gasket ports were fuel doesn't touch- fel-pro print o seal with the steel core in between
340king
Expert
Expert

Post by 340king »

That is a cool solution.

This website shows a pretty wide array of intake manifolds. The Offenhauser 360°Equa Flow intakes come in a low rise version, but may not be that great for your application. They also made two versions of their Dual Port intake that may be a better street intake. It might be harder to duplicate the port work with the divider in the port. You can see the 273 Commando cast iron intake that I was thinking about on this page also.

http://www.thomsclan.com/users/sthoms/c ... ntakes.htm

I have an old Edelbrock Scorpion intake that has had the faces milled too much for my use available if somebody were interested in a mid height single plane. It is a good candidate since you remove the face anyway. Good luck.

I think I found you one Jack.

http://www.tonysparts.com/intakes.htm
johnretired

Post by johnretired »

Many years ago I swapped the stock 2bbl on a 400 to the holley street dominator, using a 650 speadbore holley.
It was a great set-up and ran far better than stock and better mileage. I loved that set-up.

Maybe it wasn't the best set-up for max power but it was a huge improvement over stock.
489 chevy
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

PackardV8 wrote:FWIW, one of our Studebaker V8 guys takes any of the aftermarket small block Mopar aluminum intakes, mills off the mounting flange, mills two adapter plates, welds them together and we use them on Studes.
Not to hijack this thread too much, but is this the same guy that mills the hell out of the heads and bolts plates on?
There was a picture post on the HAMB not too long ago. Interesting to me.