Quench "flame channels" in piston vs. head quench

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Post by automotive breath »

Hi Robert,
Most of the heads I have done are single groove. At first I was drawing a line dividing the squish pad in half ending the groove right between the valves pointing directly at the plug. This has worked out great.

Lately for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread I point the groove just to the exhaust valve side of the plug.

peerless

Post by peerless »

Alright, I marked up the head and wanted to kinda show the direction of the groove. Have you ever had a problem with this modification blowing out the spark?

If you think it looks good, I am going to start scratching away :)

Thanks!

Robert
Robert
E30 Motor Werks
"Quality Care for your Classic BMW"

www.e30motorwerks.com
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Post by automotive breath »

Move the red end of the line at the squish pad so that the line goes directly between the valves.

No I haven’t had the spark blow out even with the high compression engines, the grooves stabilize combustion.
peerless

Post by peerless »

automotive breath wrote:Move the red end of the line at the squish pad so that the line goes directly between the valves.

No I haven’t had the spark blow out even with the high compression engines, the grooves stabilize combustion.
First off thank you for taking the time to help me. Very cool and much appreciated.

I couldnt quite get the line right in paint, but the line does go between the valves just to the exhuast side of the spark plug hole. I finished them up the best I could by hand and some 'precision' files.

I will post a pic here in abit. The total length is just under 1/2" and the deepness is about .050". I am unfortunatly without precision instruments so mustly going by 'eyeballing' the situation.

Grooves look good despite being kinda small. I think the close up pics are making me think they should be much bigger ?
Robert
E30 Motor Werks

www.e30motorwerks.com
peerless

Post by peerless »

Kind of a dark picture but I think you can see the grooves clearly.

Maybe deeper?

Image[/img]
Robert
E30 Motor Werks

www.e30motorwerks.com
mpgmike

Post by mpgmike »

Somebody had mentioned doing the holes. This head has sharp abrupt chamber walls that would lend well to experimenting with holes (if somebody wants to venture to the deep end of the pool). I drilled a few on a junk head about a year ago, but chickened out fearing cracks. However, I will never know 'till I try it.

Mike
www.PowreHaus.com