If you could print any engine you could imagine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

plovett
Expert
Expert

Re: If you could print any engine you could imagine

Post by plovett »

Ron E wrote:I'd remake the Viper motor as a stretched new style hemi V10. 650 or so N/A HP. And there would always be the option of boost.
That is an excellent idea in my opinion.

pauile
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

I'd like a V-12 version of the 1969-1970 Boss 302. What to put it in? Oh man, I don't know.

paulie
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

plovett wrote:I'd like a V-12 version of the 1969-1970 Boss 302. What to put it in? Oh man, I don't know.

paulie
That "what to put it in" question seems to be the hardest to answer these days.
The custom vehicles I see people making in their garages these days are for electric cars.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

How about a new version of the BRM 16 cyl F1 engine.. EFI off the shelf components.. What would I put it in? Anything with a 6 speed transmission so I could run it up through the gears and listen to it wail.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

brechlrl wrote:How about a new version of the BRM 16 cyl F1 engine.. EFI off the shelf components.. What would I put it in? Anything with a 6 speed transmission so I could run it up through the gears and listen to it wail.
Didn't BRM have two 16 cylinder engines? One was a conventional V with two banks of 8 cylinders. The other was an H type configuration with four banks of 4 cylinders and two cranks? Like two flat 8's stacked on top of each other. maybe?

paulie
brechlrl
Pro
Pro

Post by brechlrl »

Seems to me you may be correct on the H config.. Make mine the conventional V.. My first and only encounter was at Road America about 10 yr ago. They had Vintage F1 cars on track.. Was standing at Canada corner so I got full down shifting and then up through the gears to the start finish... I wet myself.... Made a Ferrari sound bland
MrWOT
Pro
Pro

Post by MrWOT »

Big block 3. 1L+ per hole, large bore, pent-roof three cylinder with three plugs per cylinder, and a 2-piece bottom end.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

brechlrl wrote:Seems to me you may be correct on the H config.. Make mine the conventional V.. My first and only encounter was at Road America about 10 yr ago. They had Vintage F1 cars on track.. Was standing at Canada corner so I got full down shifting and then up through the gears to the start finish... I wet myself.... Made a Ferrari sound bland
I believe it. Check out the link below. It has BRM V16 engine sound recordings. "inside the cockpit" is the best. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

http://www.billzilla.org/engread.htm

paulie
RAS
Pro
Pro

Post by RAS »

If it were just for me, an LSX block and a set of DR heads and intake with a 4.560 bore spacing. Pushing the envelope, a mini radial with 4 banks of cylinders air cooled.
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

Ron E wrote:I'd remake the Viper motor as a stretched new style hemi V10. 650 or so N/A HP. And there would always be the option of boost.
I've always been a fan of the Viper motor since Lamborghini redesigned that terrible 1st Gen engine. They are very strong and easily handle 1000rwhp on the bottom end with a good tune. The new Hemi head idea is a good marketing strategy and one has to wonder why they did not do that back when it was the obvious evolution. There's room.

But now the Viper wedge heads are so dang good I doubt the new hemi head would add anything. The stock Gen 5 engine is rated at 640hp and that'll turn out to be conservative - watch for Gen 5 cars putting out 570rwhp once loosened up all stock right down to the OEM air filter. There's your 650hp right now.

Best engine made in the USA as it sits based on all the muscle car attributes of old - size and power without power adders, throw in efficiency for its size. 8.4L, 640hp, rated at 25mpg highway - older tuned ones have seen 30mpg and the new one will be at least as capable, emissions friendly - no small thing at that size, and more torque than any OEM car engine in the world (excepting boosted cars). All that in a package that weighs less than 600lb - I've heard low 500's less accessories, not bad when the Gen 1 was nearer 800!

Still my print out engine would be a dice throw between a perfected wet billet Viper V10 and a wet billet LS7. I'm going to think about that and post back which one I'd likely do if I could only do one.... tough choice. The V10 would rule NA no question, but boost makes that all academic and the LS7 is small and light and fits anywhere
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

Ok I've thought about it.

Since this is dream time I've ditched the LS7 and Dodge V10.

I'd scale up the Audi/Lambo Gallardo V10 to the same bore centers as the Viper and run 4"bores.

Those engines are proven absolute darlings and handle big boost better than anything else that rpms like they do (at a similar size). What is not to love? A crazy F1 sound, an 8000rpm design that has proved itself as durable as a Porsche flat 6. Even at 5L rebuilt UGR ones routinely get over 1500rwhp and they are daily driven. The hard choice would be to go 8000rpm and 7 liters or 7000rpm and 8-8.4L. Decisions decisions.

BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Two four rotors Wankels side by side siamesed block with only one output shaft. Intake and exaust ports layout like a V8.

This way I could build V8 style headers. Imagine the sound with F1 tech good to 12000 RPM.

Oh, almost forgot, a 14-71 hi-helix blower above it....wait ...eight crossed stacks would be cool also!

This is a dream, for now I'll stay with my SBC

:D
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

I'd like to be standing next to Jon when he fires up the "Un-wasted Stroke" engine. Think about all the strokes we have wasted in 100+ years. Also, think about how the 750 Kawasaki two strokes were not allowed to compete with the four strokes because the two strokes were TOO FAST.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
The Ry Guy

Post by The Ry Guy »

For me it would be a small displacement V8, 2 maybe 2.5 liters. 90 degree crank, with something akin to the fiat muti-air variable valve timing system up top. Broad(ish) power band (for its size) and a screaming V8 sound when you spin it 9 maybe 10 grand. Put this down into a Morgan Eva Gt type car with a nice 6 speed manual transmission. Big wide grin every time that tach needle swings 'round and you grab another gear. 8)
Joel Dubose
Expert
Expert

Post by Joel Dubose »

How about a 830 ci prostock with a 60 degree bank angle and a 4.900 bore. I would do a twisted wedge or what's referred to as a semi hemi. I would use a 80 mm can journal.
JDE Heads & Manifolds
I'm WD with AFR,Edelbrock and many other parts and castings suppliers.
JDE has port programs In popular castings for performance uses, If you would like a port designed for your project contact me 704-658-6951