If you could print any engine you could imagine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Re: If you could print any engine you could imagine

Post by Rizzle »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:I'll start; I would make a 135 degree bank angle V8 2-stroke super charged (no crankcase pumping).
The 135 degrees bank angle allows for a smooth firing order.
I have to admit, the v8 two stroke using boost has bounced around my head a couple times as well. DI would cure (or make big gains) the two stroke bsfc issue. Displacement on demand tech would be right at home (fire like a 4 stroke v8 for cruise) and some vgt turbos with electronic startup spooling should make one hell of a versitile engine package.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:OK so we covered the worst engines.
If 3D printing ever becomes what the media are promising and you can print any engine that you can think of, what engine would you print that you can't buy today?
Then, what would you put it in? I guess you could print that too.
I think powdered metallurgy technology has found it's way into 3D printing... They can make the green parts and then further sinter. I can't remember exactly where but it was discussed in our manufacturing process class.. Still in developmental stage.
Soon all these people making fun of your CAD , CAE, CFD ,CAM , and even CNC will be without a job.. They will hire a green card holder to dump powder into a machine.. It will print sinter, press like a forge spit it out and robot arms while you will still be working overseeing it...after its loaded in the truck- truck driver will maybe have a job... 3 people where 200 worked before.
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

If 3D printing ever becomes what the media are promising and you can print any engine that you can think of, what engine would you print that you can't buy today?

I'd print some replacement Mazda rotary engine housings. 12A, 13B, and the "wide center" 20B housing. All are NLA anymore.

Of course, the ports would be tweaked to work properly out of the box.

After that, I'd look into some more esoteric things like copying some of the more interesting Ford engines from the early 60s like the Indy engine.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

I would be printing heads of my own, requiring its own intake and exhaust, needng its own valve covers just to be different...so they bolt down on a small block chevy and make it more exotic. 8)
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9MRsFZJ2Hk
Maybe a v8 out of this v4
There capible of 260hp in gp trim.
So a 2l v8 making 520...

Sounds like a good time.
clshore
Expert
Expert

Post by clshore »

I've always thought that one of the early 3.0L F1 Cosworth V-8 would fit perfectly in my Triumph GT-6+ ...
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

clshore wrote:I've always thought that one of the early 3.0L F1 Cosworth V-8 would fit perfectly in my Triumph GT-6+ ...
Video time.

Guys in England made a rally car using a whole bunch of stuff. Peugeot body, Subaru nose, Metro 6R4 (mid engined AWD) running gear. Apparently they had issues with the 6R4 engine (all I know is that they ate timing belts on a regular basis) so they threw a Cosworth V6 touring car engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8w1zPte0w

Now, how's about four 600cc motorcycle engines joined at the crank, destroked to get under the 2-liter class limit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3D0gViYMLw
numboltz

Post by numboltz »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:I'll start; I would make a 135 degree bank angle V8 2-stroke super charged (no crankcase pumping).
The 135 degrees bank angle allows for a smooth firing order.

May as well go the whole shot and print up a R-R Crecy. According to R-R, when they fired
up the first one on test it was so load the local town ran up their air raid sirens. They were going to put 4 of them in Lancasters. Imagine a 1,000 bomber raid, or 4,000 of these crazed 2-strokes appearing at night over your town in Germany. Louder than some rock concerts. And better music, too.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Schmitty
Why would the 11 foot chained sohc motor not finish?
I ask out of curiosity.
I would think it would finish some sohc motors made it on the street and I would havr to think they made it more than 500 miles.
burdickjp

Post by burdickjp »

peejay wrote:

I'd print some replacement Mazda rotary engine housings. 12A, 13B, and the "wide center" 20B housing. All are NLA anymore.

Of course, the ports would be tweaked to work properly out of the box.
And aluminum, of course.
c.watson

Post by c.watson »

I'd like to see a 500cc shared crank case narrow angle V twin two stroke. If it'd work :!:
Clive
The more I learn the less I know.
Clive Watson
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

plovett wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:24 pm
brechlrl wrote:How about a new version of the BRM 16 cyl F1 engine.. EFI off the shelf components.. What would I put it in? Anything with a 6 speed transmission so I could run it up through the gears and listen to it wail.
Didn't BRM have two 16 cylinder engines? One was a conventional V with two banks of 8 cylinders. The other was an H type configuration with four banks of 4 cylinders and two cranks? Like two flat 8's stacked on top of each other. maybe?

paulie
When I upvoted Brechlrl, I just assumed he was talking about the H-16. one of the best sounding F-1 engines EVER.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

plovett wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 pm
brechlrl wrote:Seems to me you may be correct on the H config.. Make mine the conventional V.. My first and only encounter was at Road America about 10 yr ago. They had Vintage F1 cars on track.. Was standing at Canada corner so I got full down shifting and then up through the gears to the start finish... I wet myself.... Made a Ferrari sound bland
I believe it. Check out the link below. It has BRM V16 engine sound recordings. "inside the cockpit" is the best. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

http://www.billzilla.org/engread.htm

paulie
H-16 sound, for comparison. YOWSA!!
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

For a collector and would love to race, the Honda RA121E. 60*, 3.5L V12. I'd take the whole Mclaren MP4/6. It was a bit dated as the Williams proved, but it's one of my favorite F1 cars ever.

Another would be the Ilmor Penske PC-23, but with a modern development regime. Should be a rocket ship.

As a fictional engine, I'd take a modern Superbike engine like the BMWS1000RR and scale it up with a 4" bore, keep the 2" stroke, and make it a V8. Should be a 15,000rpm capable 3.3L (202ci) V8. I'd put it in a small modern Formula Car with all the aero bits. It would be super lightweight as well.

Also would love to see a 500 ci V8 with a blank sheet fuel injection system, modern 4 valve heads, finger followers, pneumatic "springs" etc. Basically an unlimited Pro Stock engine. Should be capable of a lot more rpm and power than than they make now. Basically keep the 500ci naturally aspirated rule, and let everything else be open.
-Bob
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

A turbocharged single cylinder two-stroke with both port injection (with lube mixed to the fuel) and direct injection (without lube). Printed mostly out of plastic, with cylinder liner, the detachable combustion chamber, and exhaust parts from metal. Single cooling liquid circuit running first from the heat exchanger to intercooler/heater then to turbo/engine. The port injection lube would circulate in the turbo until being injected to the port. Turbo-compensated to constant charge air density and controlled to constant charge air temperature with the intercooler/heater.

Run the engine in an ultra-light snowmobile with some flight capabilities, at minimum gliding but preferably also powered flight. Going off the cliff at 8000 feet, accidentally on purpose, it would just sprout out glider wings. Gyroscopic cup holder for the coffee: https://pinshape.com/items/25796-3d-pri ... tle-holder

A miniature version (4"x4"x4") to power a snowboard. No cupholder for this one.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here