General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Re: Lars and 540 RAT’s Oil Testing

Post by Dodge Freak »

englertracing wrote:
Dodge Freak wrote:People are still reading Rat's threads about oil testing, lol :lol:

I stop long ago, it made little sense

But your here now!
LOL, the Lars heading got me and I had to take a look :oops: :oops:

This gossip is addicting
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

englertracing wrote:
Dodge Freak wrote:People are still reading Rat's threads about oil testing, lol :lol:

I stop long ago, it made little sense

But your here now!
LIke I said in a earlier thread of Rats, its like a train wreck, you know you shouldn't look, but you can't help yourself. If anybody's threads define train wreck, it has to be Rat's
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Lockwire wrote:
BigBlocksOnTop2 wrote:''ACE" Arm Chair Engineer. I have always found it interesting how a piece of college paper can make some people act, especially mechanical engineers. Thirty- three years in power stations, I have saw them all. From the bull shitters to the over inflated egos to the real deals. A good friend of mine is a mechanical engineer and was a professor at Va. Tech. He is a main ''go to'' in the company and he is not afraid to put on coveralls and get greasy dirty doing a job. hats off to these guys. This other guy here on ST has backed himself into a corner. The crap has been going on for a while, yet no proof......bullshitter.
X2. I have seen them in Motorsport all over the world over a lot of years. :lol: Ask AJ Foyt and a couple others what they think of engineers. I have one guy I helped a little with a quite quick SCCA car and all I heard was this and that engineer, could'nt win the runnoff listening to them. 90 % bullshitters and do not know in Motorsport what make the cars quick. MHO.

Ive been a engineer for over 40 years and I too have met many BULLL shitters in ALL walks of life but for you to arbitrarily say all engineers are bullshitters, I would think again every time you drive across a bridge that spans at least a mile and think each time you take a elevator ride up a sky scraper that is more than 10 stories and if I were you I would never ever fly in an airplane. You have now talked about me and many many of my friends. An crap, please forbid that our military with their firepower, will never meet another enemy. And just because AJ Foyt did not like engineers, lets go to Nascar pits. NHRA pits. What data are they downloading. I appreciate your candid thoughts of what and who I am. Oh I must edit this as I am a Mechanical Engineer
reed
ParDeus
Pro
Pro

Post by ParDeus »

LOOK GUYS LARS SAID IT'S CREDIBLE!!! HOW CAN YOU DISAGREE WITH LARS!!! Lol

Rat is like the guy who gets a check from Warren Johnson, never cashes it and hangs it in his office...

(well maybe I'm guilty of that also)

BTW, the only Rick Johnsons' from southern CA on LinkedIn seem to be realtors. I'm personally fed up, many people may have taken this data as Gospel, and possibly damaged something as a result.
I'm going to find his phone #, call him, and see how he tries to evade answers then.

I would love it if I was wrong, and then go buy some Pennzoil 5w30 Ultra.
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

ParDeus wrote:LOOK GUYS LARS SAID IT'S CREDIBLE!!! HOW CAN YOU DISAGREE WITH LARS!!! Lol...............................................................

I guess I should get out more often........but who the heck is Lars? :D
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
ParDeus
Pro
Pro

Post by ParDeus »

I should clarify, I'm not calling to harass him, but to have my ?'s re: "testing" answered, so I can actually make use of the data.
ParDeus
Pro
Pro

Post by ParDeus »

woody b wrote:
ParDeus wrote:LOOK GUYS LARS SAID IT'S CREDIBLE!!! HOW CAN YOU DISAGREE WITH LARS!!! Lol...............................................................

I guess I should get out more often........but who the heck is Lars? :D
Lars is a tech guru on the C3 forum. My statement was in jest.
I believe Lars will soon be annoyed at having his name drug through the "sludge".

(BTW, sludge tested at 140,000 psi in Rat's test)
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

WELL.... I enjoy reading his scrip, it's very informative, and seems to be based on one on one testing. his testing method seems reasonable and frankly rates each oil against one another ..... maybe there are other testing procedures that could be thrown into the mix ?.... you could spend all week on different tests, but it is possible different engines still require a different formulation, & the BEST TEST oil winner may not in fact give the ultimate performance . ,..... but I seriously doubt that his top 5 ranked oils will damage any engine !! .... are some of you pissed that you are using the worst ranked oils ? ...... RAT mentions on numerous occasions that the best performers use the best base stock ! that's gotta be a good start surely ?..... Oh ! .. and how's all your testing going fella's ?
has anyone got back to back live eng tests that prove him WRONG ? ..... sorry.. didn't hear that ... come on SPEAK UP lol
HA HA most of you fella's have big mouths and no A hole... so your just full of it !!! us kiwis just cannot believe some of the rubbish we have to sift through, mostly we just roll on the floor and laugh our ar.. off ..........man some of you chaps are just out right embarrassing
ParDeus
Pro
Pro

Post by ParDeus »

A 30sec film strength test in which we dont know testing parameters does not require us to prove him worng.

It's his job to prove to us that his tests are repeatable, accurate and applicable.
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

The test has NOTNING to do with wear. Its NOT a wear test. Its a film strength test and film strength has very little to do with wear.
Wear and film strength overlap, but the additives determine the wear and the test DOES NOT recognize the additives at all. Their function is not developed in 30 seconds, and it is not continuous like a one armed bandit. There is virtually no load on a flat tappet lifter face and lobe over one half the time. Same with a push rod tip. It cycles and a new coat of lube is allowed to enter the interface. One revolution of the one armed bandit ring bearing is more than any flat tappet will ever see in a single revolution.
Film strength as little to do with this. Its a function of the plating additives like ZDDP, and the EP additives like moly and calcium, and boron.

To think or say that you don't think that any of his top 5 oils would damage ANY engine is completely misunderstanding what can and does occur in some engines. I have no doubt that Rat is unaware of some of the point loads of some extreme performance and endurance engines.
I assure you, I can take his top rated Pennzoil Ultra and destroy an engine in minutes with that crap. And before we perform an autopsies, I can tell you the parts that are failed or failing.

Hey lada ok, you live in the right part of the world. Take a few quarts of that Pennzoil Ultra 5/30 to a guy running a BADD boat and see if you can get them to run it. Tell them all about 540 Rats tests and see how they feel about it. Let me know if its you and Rat they laugh at, or if they laugh at us for saying its JUNK!
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

racear2865 wrote:
Lockwire wrote:
BigBlocksOnTop2 wrote:''ACE" Arm Chair Engineer. I have always found it interesting how a piece of college paper can make some people act, especially mechanical engineers. Thirty- three years in power stations, I have saw them all. From the bull shitters to the over inflated egos to the real deals. A good friend of mine is a mechanical engineer and was a professor at Va. Tech. He is a main ''go to'' in the company and he is not afraid to put on coveralls and get greasy dirty doing a job. hats off to these guys. This other guy here on ST has backed himself into a corner. The crap has been going on for a while, yet no proof......bullshitter.
X2. I have seen them in Motorsport all over the world over a lot of years. :lol: Ask AJ Foyt and a couple others what they think of engineers. I have one guy I helped a little with a quite quick SCCA car and all I heard was this and that engineer, could'nt win the runnoff listening to them. 90 % bullshitters and do not know in Motorsport what make the cars quick. MHO.

Ive been a engineer for over 40 years and I too have met many BULLL shitters in ALL walks of life but for you to arbitrarily say all engineers are bullshitters, I would think again every time you drive across a bridge that spans at least a mile and think each time you take a elevator ride up a sky scraper that is more than 10 stories and if I were you I would never ever fly in an airplane. You have now talked about me and many many of my friends. An crap, please forbid that our military with their firepower, will never meet another enemy. And just because AJ Foyt did not like engineers, lets go to Nascar pits. NHRA pits. What data are they downloading. I appreciate your candid thoughts of what and who I am. Oh I must edit this as I am a Mechanical Engineer
reed

I'm betting you're the type of Engineer who actually works with the people who use your design and doesn't profess to walk on water.
Call it a hunch. :)
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by speedtalk »

Another Friday night, another oil thread gets locked.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin