lightest steel rods on the market?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

J.C.

lightest steel rods on the market?

Post by J.C. »

anyone done the homework on the lightest over the counter steel rod for BBC in stock and longer lengths?
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

with connecting rods and saying steel the words of light and strong are two conflicting terms.

Eagle sells a light weight rod but the strength is also reduced.

If they are in the budget this look like a good use for the Jager Rod but they are not steel.

Call to Steff's or B&B Performance and ask for Chris Straub. He can tell you all about the Jager Rods.

Ed
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Dyers Top Rods might have some light stuff for a big block so you may want to contact them.

Otherwise, Oliver or a similar design will probably be the lightest commonly available steel rods for the big block.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Crower maxi-light , std length bbc weighs 730 grams
Last edited by Keith Morganstein on Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Ron C.
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron C. »

The Oliver rod is pretty hard to beat. Standard length BBC is 800 gr. See below for there pitch..........blessings........Ron Clevenger.

"The OLIVER I-beam connecting rod features an exclusive "Parabolic Beam" design that reduces beam stress and delivers the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any connecting rod currently available.

All rods are precision machined using only premium mill certified aircraft quality E4340 chrome moly alloy billets, heat treated to produce a 100% martensite grain structure. Continual inspection, statistical process control, batch sampling and fatigue cycle testing assure the delivery of the finest product obtainable. Batch matched individual, replacement rods are in stock."
Creekside Racing Ministry
John 14:6
Ron Clevenger
CSU Gas Dominator ProCharger nonintercooled
Top Eliminator West http://www.topeliminatorwest.net
Steve Morris http://www.stevemorrisengines.com
6.49@219mph (still tunning)
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

why are you so worried about rod weight?

Is it a counter-weight issue?

Dennis
J.C.

re weights....

Post by J.C. »

airflowdevelop wrote:why are you so worried about rod weight?

Is it a counter-weight issue?

Dennis
no issue, with the knowledge on this board, it saves alot of time doing the foot work. :) also, usually some comparisions between products comes up and a better decision can be made what would be best for a application. :)

i do appreciate all replies.... :)
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

The hollow MechArt rods were supposed to be very light. I was told they were investment castings. I haven't seen anything about them in quite some time.
Noob
Pro
Pro

Post by Noob »

I had a set of MechArt Rods for a bmw race engine. They had horrible problems stretching at high RPMS. Awesome looking rods just not great for high compression high RPM engines. I never checked but a fellow racer of mine told me they were stainless and thats why. Not sure if I believe him but that's the rumor.
Mech Engineer
north florida engine/suspension tuner
Fabrication