No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: EMC 2014-Rules Changes & Why?

Post by Walter R. Malik »

GARY C wrote:
Then why advertise it to the public at all?
When I used to buy mags I did so because I was looking for innovative out of the box ideas I could try on my own builds.
Maybe, just MAYBE, that readers who share the same criteria as you are only a small percentage of the total number of people who generally buy their magazine.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
GARY C wrote:
Then why advertise it to the public at all?
When I used to buy mags I did so because I was looking for innovative out of the box ideas I could try on my own builds.
Maybe, just MAYBE, that readers who share the same criteria as you are only a small percentage of the total number of people who generally buy their magazine.
I have no doubt your right and the lack of good tech is why I haven't subscribed to any in years.

I just thought I would share what one ex subscriber would be interested in.
EDIT!
Also how they cover it was the least of my points, The rules should be open for the builder to do what he does and that is not bolt together engines.
Second was maybe by changing their judging criteria the could include more engine types and not exclude possible contestants.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
nickmckinney
Guru
Guru

Post by nickmckinney »

dfree383 wrote:
nickmckinney wrote:I never said ALL engines submitted could not fit, wow...............

Anyone know if the Kaase heads had the exhaust ports fully divided?

Have you been in the contest before? I don't recall meeting you?

Nope - I have just been playing with mod heads primarily for the last few years so this contest result really cracks me up. We went from being the ugly duckling to the untouchable swan overnight.

Kaase used the best mod architecture for NA and its the rarest/expensive parts to find as well especially that particular intake manifold. Regular 4.6 mod motors would not be competitive here as the intake manifold is too narrow side to side and the block doesn't allow much cubic inch growth at all. Now if you allowed a 12,000RPM limit I will change my story.........
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

nickmckinney wrote: Nope - I have just been playing with mod heads primarily for the last few years so this contest result really cracks me up. We went from being the ugly duckling to the untouchable swan overnight.

Kaase used the best mod architecture for NA and its the rarest/expensive parts to find as well especially that particular intake manifold. Regular 4.6 mod motors would not be competitive here as the intake manifold is too narrow side to side and the block doesn't allow much cubic inch growth at all. Now if you allowed a 12,000RPM limit I will change my story.........
It never ceases to amaze me the preconceptions we can have about some of this stuff. I made a point of showing that the preconceived notion that a short stroke motor is for RPM and a long stroke motor is for torque down low is not necessarily correct but in doing so I completely dismissed the 4-valve motors. I had the preconceived notion that the 4 valve motors wouldn't have any bottom end because the "ports are too big" "velocity is too low" blah blah blah blah. Boy, was I wrong. I fully expected the 4-valve motors to be complete turds below 4500 rpm or so and then really wake up and make big steam upstairs. I guess it's amazing what some cubic inches and some intake runner length will do for a head like that :shock:

That is what's so cool about Engine Master's, where else do you get to find engines that have this kind of development done for this broad of an rpm range? The hurdles you have to overcome to get by the short falls of each engines inherent architecture is what is so cool to me.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

"The hurdles you have to overcome to get by the short falls of each engines inherent architecture is what is so cool to me."

IMHO opinion that is the crux of the matter and the rules should encourage it. In other words "innovation".
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

1989TransAm wrote:"The hurdles you have to overcome to get by the short falls of each engines inherent architecture is what is so cool to me."

IMHO opinion that is the crux of the matter and the rules should encourage it. In other words "innovation".

Which rules need to be changed, to encourage innovation ?
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Unkl Ian wrote:
1989TransAm wrote:"The hurdles you have to overcome to get by the short falls of each engines inherent architecture is what is so cool to me."

More of a philosophical thing than a particular rule. Innovation such as Danny Miller's intake system on the 56 Chrysler motor. For this year the exhaust system on Kaase's motor. Making rules that are not overly prohibitive but allow creativity.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Unkl Ian wrote:

Let me try to finish that question as it should be.

"What rules should be changed to encourage innovation" yet try to allow for a level playing field for all the engine types to be involved and make those rules different enough year to year so the contest does not become redundant...?
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

Back to point form:
Suggestions from another spectator.

1 - make smaller motors legal. 400+ is ok, but not every year.

2 - Adapting manifolds from other makes legal, with no welding.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

Why not allow knock control? They've been available to the aftermarket since 1983, when Carter introduced the Electronic Knock Eliminator, price was about $100.

My SafeGuard individual cylinder knock controller has been available since 1991. It's a small price to pay to protect a high dollar engine from spark knock without killing power.
Thinking is hard work.
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

I haven't seen anyone building EMC engines with knock sensors. Or race engines for that matter. My experience with them on high performance engines is that if you are knocking your engine in search of power, you're pretty far off on the tune. As an EMC participant, I couldn't care less if they allowed them or not because at this level a knock sensor is not helpful at all.
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

Seems like there were several engines lost a couple years ago due to fuel quality.
Thinking is hard work.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

JohnP wrote:Seems like there were several engines lost a couple years ago due to fuel quality.
The contest no longer uses 91 octane street pump gas.
Probably a direct reason for the needed change to better grade of gasoline.
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

JohnP wrote:Seems like there were several engines lost a couple years ago due to fuel quality.

Any competitive ones?
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
JohnP
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnP »

Not everyone who enters is or can afford to hire a world class tuner. Why not allow them to use this tool to guide them and save the engine when they make a mistake?
Thinking is hard work.