need help with a 1954 Ford 239 Y-block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: need help with a 1954 Ford 239 Y-block

Post by Schurkey »

pdq67 wrote:EPA found out that about 34 to 35 percent of car smog emissions produced came from the draft tube with the rest coming from the tailpipe and the carb. and gas tank filler cap.
I thought the percentage of harmful emissions coming from the draft-tube were/was higher than that.

Any way I look at it, PCV was the best thing that ever happened to the automotive engine. Less internal contamination, longer bearing and oil life, less harmful emissions, safer roads (not oil-slick from draft-tube residue.)

I'm old enough to remember concrete roads that were absolutely black between the typical wheel paths. And Driver's Training hammered into the students about slick roads at the start of a rain shower--the rain would lift the oil from the center of the road, spreading it into the tire tracks.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

Only forged cranks were in some 292 truck engines.
First PCV in Calif. in 1961 ?
312 block is weaker to get clearance for longer stroke crank
top end oiling via unaligned holes in block and heads with a small slot connecting them at fire deck!!
Dave B,
LIGHT 'EM UP
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

My old weird Willys stuff has PCV way back. The 62 Tornado 6 has a factory PCV system and it is mentioned in the SAE report. I'm pretty sure they also had PCV prior to that, and there may have been retrofit kits for really old stuff. I was surprised at this - maybe they did it for the above mentioned advantages? Definitely a little off topic from the original post.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

you can get bronze bushed and rebuilt rockers from Rocker arm rebuildrs in (I think Anderson) Nor CAl and "tipple plated" hard chrome shafts
I say that because chrome does not stick to steel, it peals like a bad bumper or cheap hand tools
I did say 292 instead of 312 for a reason- actually lots of reasons leave the 312s to the restorers
They Y block Lincoln motor is also one tough motor- parts not as easy as a 292
what about oil filter?
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

My first car in 1964 was a 56 Ford 292 three speed.. I was in HS and had very little money but managed to buy a 3 carb intake a Wolverine cam and 57 distributor. I knew nothing and fumbled through it. I could almost keep up with the Chevys and probably tore the first gear out of 6 transmissions..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I had the same body but a 53 with the last flathead- business coupe with no back seat 3 speed T85 with OD and 4:11 gears
real quick
even quicker when I obtained on of neighbor AK Millers El Caballo Flatheads
4 strombergs Lucas Ignition, cam by AK " It's got a lot of lift AND a lot of Duration" were the specs
Once we figured out how to get it to hook up it was extremely fast
We showed the hook up trick to Les Ritchie who's right tire was going up in smoke 57 Ranchero with the tailgate down- that made it even faster...
Les then busted his knuckles on the dash trying to speed shift his three on a tree
we bandaided that by making the low and second not exactly across from each other
Then we made floor shifts by cutting up some steering columns
I backed into (that's spun out) into a dirt pile and kinked the exhaust- took awhile to figure why overheating :)
blusalomon

Post by blusalomon »

I saw your picture of your y block 239 and I am interested in the carb/throttle connection on the left side of the carburetor. Is that something you fabricated or is original? If it is something that was fabricate, can you send me some closeup shots of the connections? Does anybody else know how this was done or has the correct part for a 1954 f100 y block 239
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I'm not able to open the files I'll try again later- no problems before- previously
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Thinking back to my own 272 days, there was an adaptor screwed to the block for the oil filter. I could never stop it from leaking and don't know if the leaks were coming from the filter adaptor, the oil pickup or the pump its self. They all leak don't they??
A bit of a silly idea in a way having the pump on the outside?
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Bib Block Chryslers don't leak and it's easy to change the oil pressure
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

From the Roto faze website
8 each pistons, pins and rings for 292 cu. in.
Ford Thunderbird. Factory originals. Eight miles on them. Can still see machine marks on rings. Factory stock removed for hop up. Good for 272 rebuild. Price: $250.00. (310) 325-8844.
How's your project coming?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Ken_Parkman wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:32 pm My old weird Willys stuff has PCV way back. The 62 Tornado 6 has a factory PCV system and it is mentioned in the SAE report. I'm pretty sure they also had PCV prior to that, and there may have been retrofit kits for really old stuff. I was surprised at this - maybe they did it for the above mentioned advantages? Definitely a little off topic from the original post.
I am absolutely fascinated by the old Jeep Tornado SOHC engine!! It's the USPS mail truck engine!!!

It's a true hemi, SOHC engine!!

Back years and years ago.

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Back again!!

My buddy Gene had a .60" over 292, "Y" block with Jahns 11.5 to 1 CR pistons in it along with the great old Isky Z-30 solid lifter cam and 3x2's and Heddman headers on it!!

It was in a '55 Ford HT as well as a '56 one. 3-speed tranny though.

Sucker had, "smitties", mufflers on it that I could hear for miles as he came and went!!

Loved the old, "smitties", in fact I ended up with them. All burned out can shells!!

Bad thing about it was that when he and the rest of us hen up to Kahokia(Sp?), MO to it's drag strip, he got beat by a '57 Chevy HT with a 2x4 301 in it.

pdq67
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

The other day you bumped a thread that was last active only 5 years ago, now you're down to only 4 years old? You are slipping. Come on, you can't have used up all the really old ones yet, try harder!
DON'T PANIC
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

IMHO, the kids need to know our history is all and I continue to learn about the old stuff daily myself!!

You know, like figure out how to install a highly modified Jeep Tornado SOHC top end onto say a 260 or 289 Ford V-8.

They both have a 4-bolt head-bolt design whereas the SBC has a 5-bolt design.

pdq67