BBC valve guide hight

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

crazycuda
Expert
Expert

BBC valve guide hight

Post by crazycuda »

On a std mid 80's 454 anyone know what the max cam lift is before the valve guides need to be shortened ?
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART »

Hi John, I would think it depends on the other valvetrain components you are using to some degree.

If I recall correctly, I did a 454 about ten years ago with a .500" valve lift that just needed the guides ever so slightly shortened. That was using a 1.7 Comp Cams rocker, standard length replacement valve with double springs and matching retainers that I believe were Milodon. Hope this helps and at least gets you in the ballpark. CJ
crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Post by crazycuda »

Thanks BLACK BART,
What I have is a cam and valve spring swap comming in the shop next week. I usually pull the heads, set the installed spring hight, etc on the bench. (but the customer doesnt want me to.) So before I get into it I wanted to verify if anyone knew the max lift before I ran into troubles. I still havent been told how much cam he has for it.
This is one of those jobs I am hoping the customer doesn't show up because I feel it will be one of those bite me in the butt if I do it.
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
EngineTech1
Expert
Expert
Post by EngineTech1 »

This is one of those jobs I am hoping the customer doesn't show up because I feel it will be one of those bite me in the butt if I do it.
If thats the case then tell them you can't do it. I never take on a job unless the customer is willing to do things my way. That way if things go wrong I only have myself to blame and don't have to kick myself for letting a customer dictate how I do my work.
BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART »

John I would tell the customer that if you cannot supply the parts and do the job the right way that he either needs to go somewhere else or he will have to pay the bill regardless of the outcome if you run into problems. Put some of the responsibility back on him to plan things out a little better, or just don't deal with him. Good luck, CJ

Daniel has the right idea, follow his lead.