Dart Iron Eagle SBC Casting Defect Opinions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: Dart Iron Eagle SBC Casting Defect Opinions

Post by wyrmrider »

There's a picture like that of a blown fuel roadster with the crank on the ground spinning and the tires still smoking
I drove Boyd Pennington's car once- ONCE- trying to sort something out
had to change my pants
The fireman changed to a rail- big mistake- RIP
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

Cubic_Cleveland wrote:As for this clown, do yourself a favour and do some checking of his posts on here, and what professionals have to say. Also do some research into why those cracks probably occurred.
Perhaps you could provide a link or two and save us the trouble of searching around ?
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Interested in the outcome myself. I am seriously thinking of buying a SHP block , but not if there are gonna be real issues. [-X
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

Ok... Thanks everyone.

I'm going to try an send it back, don't expect any problems as I have not even taken it out of the box yet. With my luck the casting defect would cause a problem for sure.

The application is drag racing, manual trans 5 speed, big tire car. 4.185 bore x 4.00 stroke, 8000 rpm. Will let everyone know how it goes, this was ordered with a 50mm cam bore too.

Tom
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

The Radius Kid wrote:
Cubic_Cleveland wrote:As for this clown, do yourself a favour and do some checking of his posts on here, and what professionals have to say. Also do some research into why those cracks probably occurred.
Perhaps you could provide a link or two and save us the trouble of searching around ?
The way this guy has attacked me below should give you an idea of his MO. If not, just click on his name and look at some of the other posts he's made on this type of topic. Why he has to bring his bigoted views on religion into it I have no idea.

For the record I'm not a Dart dealer, nor do I have an online store. Just an automotive machinist who uses Dart products, if these problems were as common as Kazoom would have you believe, I wouldn't use their product nor recommend them to my customers. Anything can fail, sometimes it's a parts defect, a lot of times it's incorrect application or human error.

I have been maintaining for 3 seasons a 370" turbo SBF making over 1000HP in an 8.2" SHP block with no block issues to speak of. It's a drag race application, and in the beginning had converter ballooning issues that chewed out the thrusts. Crank and bearings were toast, but the blocks still the original.

Recently done the machine work on a 302" turbo iron eagle SBF, pushed the head gaskets out on the dyno at peak torque from a tune up that was too aggressive. Pulled the engine apart to inspect the damage, found there was none. Replaced head gaskets, owner fixed tune up, makes 1500HP on meth, going into a drift car.
Kazoom wrote: for over 5 years now starting on this site i have asked a simple question from the internet dart peddlers & alldart akbar fanboys like yourself that live there sad lives on the net

as to why there are so many complaints about Dart Blocks Cracking online only to be repeatedly insulted, bashed and have death threats made to me and my kids BY

some internet DART DEALER "clowns" and there alldart akbar fanboys online

whats really pathetic is TO THIS DATE NOT ONE online internet Dart parts peddler/dealer or fanboy has ever answered that simple question...

how about instead of spewing your aussi "clown" shat you take a CRACK at the question yourself ....

and if its not to technical for you, try clicking on some of the links to all the guys complaints of THEIR DART blocks cracking

here's just one example (post #81) ... of dozens of cracking Dart blocks in the same spot...
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showt ... st20529242
("I also have at least 12 racers that have broke their dart blocks as I have and the problem is the block. Burning a plug and blowers blowing up I'm sure don't help but from all that has come forward to say their blocks have broke in the same spot leads me to believe the block is failing.")...
The bit you so kindly put in bold about torched pistons and damaged blowers I think is a big clue Kazoom, also the really sharp edges on the oil holes in some of the pictures you provided. Maybe if you did this stuff for a living and got out of your moms basement you would have some idea...
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

psychomotors wrote:Interested in the outcome myself. I am seriously thinking of buying a SHP block , but not if there are gonna be real issues. [-X
Do yourself a favour and look into all the people who use these blocks successfully. There are 3 SHP builds currently under way in the shop I work at.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

all high hp blocks need to be detailed, stress risers modified, oil passages cleaned. reamed. or bottle brushed etc
sharp edges are just looking for a crack
detonation kills anything and everything
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

To the OP I would exchange the block just to be on the safe side but I would not hesitate to run Dart Blocks, I could not tell you the number of nitrous and turbo guys I know that beat on theses blocks for years not to mention most 420" circle track motors are built on Dart Blocks and have been for years.

When you consider that Dart Has been the leading seller of aftermarket blocks for years and has probably sold tens of thousands of them I think a few broken ones are going to show up especially when you have guys building small blocks producing over 2000 horse these days.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

In all honesty,I don't have a dog in this fight either way.
What I do see is a casting inclusion in the OP's pic and what looks like porosity in the pic Kazoom shows.
I don't know how wide spread the problem is,but I would hope it's limited in scope given Dart's rep'.
If the OP's block HAD to be used,that inclusion could be carefully dressed out.
However,given that it's new,I would send it back.
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
Biteme
Pro
Pro

Post by Biteme »

Looking at the 1st pic the op put up, that's a definate send it back!
It should never have left the factory like that.
It's what's called a factory 2nd.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Kazoom: FACT... YOU are the one that started with personal attacks (your word) "clown" and since you wont post a link to other Dart block problems, i will... viewtopic.php?p=590717#p590717
Do you read your own references? It's a 10 year old nitrous engine using mains that were not designed for that power level..But it has survived for 10 years.
It appears you hate Dart and you remind me of John from BMP and his anti ARF threads!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

Kurshuk wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:59 pm Hello everyone,

Have an Iron Eagle SBC with a casting defect in the #4 main saddle. Just looking for opinions on if this needs to go back to Dart. Noticed it as soon as I opened the box. Thanks! :D
There is no practical way to machine that defect away. I personally would not hesitate to run that block but if your dealer will exchange it and doing so will make you sleep better go for it.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

Kazoom...why do you have such a hard-on for this? I've seen your posts all over the internet for years now. I don't get it. What's your angle? Do you work for a rival company?

What is the percentage of defective blocks versus number of blocks sold? What's an acceptable number in your view? Stuff breaks even good parts do at times. Are these blocks supposed to be indestructible in your mind?
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/