Boat turbo tech...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ROGUE GTS
Boat turbo tech...

Post by ROGUE GTS »

Any of you engine guys have experience with turbocharged boats? More specifically closed engine canopy multi-engine offshore stuff?

Most specifically looking for the turbo specific guidelines.

I know all boats need water pumped into the exhaust collector area on N/A or blower stuff.

On a turbo it would need a water cooled center section.
Water pumped into the downpipe.

But what about the header/cast manifold? Do they need to be water jacketed? I do believe so, but haven't found any hard data on it yet. If so, is there a minimum requirement of volume that needs to flow through it?

Is a heat shield/blanket sufficient? I would rather not water cool a turbo header for all obvious reasons.
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

I would think it all depends on the installation, and any coast guard regulations. I think the main reason marine exhaust is cooled is because the engines are in tight enclosed spaces, and you need to keep the heat down for obvious reasons. I have seen many drag boats with just regular headers with no cooling, but the engine is out in the open air.
ROGUE GTS
Post by ROGUE GTS »

Engguy wrote:I would think it all depends on the installation, and any coast guard regulations. I think the main reason marine exhaust is cooled is because the engines are in tight enclosed spaces, and you need to keep the heat down for obvious reasons. I have seen many drag boats with just regular headers with no cooling, but the engine is out in the open air.
Yeah, this would need to be under a closed engine hatch. If it were out in the open I wouldn't care at all, ceramic coat everything and let em' glow red. 8)
jimivice

Boat Turbo Tech.

Post by jimivice »

Engguy is correct. Coast Guard regulations require any exhaust that runs through the transome and has a closed hatch has to have water cooled exhaust to prevent a fire hazard. The company that pioneered turbo marine engines is Gentry Marine. If you need any input , they would be the people to contact.
blownzoom440
Pro
Pro

Post by blownzoom440 »

Scott Koffel of Koffels place 419-433-4410 in huron OH just dynod 2 draw thru IC 454's very mild at 700+ hp eachcall him for some info i am sure he can help.
"69"satellite,3900lbs,8-71,edel victor heads,I/C,446cu.in W/gas 1250 carbs
EthylCat
Pro
Pro

Turbo Boat

Post by EthylCat »

http://www.competitionmarine.net

These guys are based in St. Louis and are definitely the best that I have seen.

Talk to Chip.