-0.015" Big Block Timing Chain

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: -0.015" Big Block Timing Chain

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote:Thank you so much for that input of fact vs. speculation tenxal! =D>
Was the chain a recent purchase? As I mentioned, their tech guy said they no longer make the -15 part for the BB.
#-o Yes, thank goodness you found out! Three links in succession of differing length installed in a timing chain??? Spintron data?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Neat little parts! Did it/they work without modifying the cover? I built this one years ago, but I'd have to hack and weld a 'power bulge' into my shiny new aluminum cover to clear it.. :( Combined with the greater expansion of the aluminum block, I think the dash 10 chain should do the job.
BTW, the deflection in my new stock chain is 0.53", corresponding to ~ 0.011" tighter c-c by Rollmaster's chart. (They also list cam and crank snout diameters a few thous different than my measurements.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Kevin Johnson wrote:
MadBill wrote:Thank you so much for that input of fact vs. speculation tenxal! =D>
Was the chain a recent purchase? As I mentioned, their tech guy said they no longer make the -15 part for the BB.
#-o Yes, thank goodness you found out! Three links in succession of differing length installed in a timing chain??? Spintron data?
Err...I think the copper links are just a color code for a chain assembled with selected high end of tolerance roller diameters Kevin, e.g. three links times five thous short each equals a-15 chain, not one with three short links. #-o

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Kevin Johnson wrote: #-o Yes, thank goodness you found out! Three links in succession of differing length installed in a timing chain??? Spintron data?
MadBill wrote:Err...I think the copper links are just a color code for a chain assembled with selected high end of tolerance roller diameters Kevin, e.g. three links times five thous short each equals a-15 chain, not one with three short links. #-o
Wow, I hope you check that out carefully. Daubs of paint would be another common way to do that. Plating shorter links would be an expensive method to help ensure that they are not mistaken for longer length links when things get mixed together somehow.

At one time Porsche did not use serial numbers on the 928 rod beams and caps. Then suddenly they started doing it with numbers ranging from 000 to 999. Then a customer sent me a picture of an original misaligned cap from his engine with matching serial numbers which indicates that somehow, by chance, the rod and beam from two separately produced parts separated by hundreds of pieces in production became mixed up at the factory.

My old friend, Jean-Claude, described being in a Renault plant and Porsche plant in the 1950s. Workers in the Renault plant could be seen encouraging parts to fit with hammers (ala the comments from the Vincent engineer text you read near the arrival of your son). In the Porsche plant when something did not fit the worker stopped and called out the part and it was checked to see if it conformed to the design specs. Jean-Claude raced both in the Mille-Miglia and LeMans and was later an engineer for Matra.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Bill, yes...chain was purchased with the past year. I know that .015 short Cloyes chains for the BBC (9-134-15) have been dc'd by Cloyes. Supposedly, SA Gear will provide chains up to .025 short. Their performance chains are Rolon style...good stuff.

Honestly, I'd opt a Cloyes 9-134-10 and rock on. 8)

Though this could be the shizzle for 'ya..........

http://www.competitionproducts.com/Cam- ... HJ_N32rGzk
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Yes, I'm going to add a dash 10 chain to my next order. Together with my 'high expansion block' that should do it.

Re you link: interesting concept! Apparently the right side tensioner (on the 'tight' side of the chain, flying in the face of normal practice) is supposed to stay fully deployed at low RPM , resulting in an advanced cam index, then progressively retract at higher RPM, causing the cam to retard. At the least I'd think the tension would need to be fine-tuned to the cam type and contour, spring force, etc. In reality I can't see how it could possibly work... #-o

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Might be that the image is reversed. Hopefully. I know when I first made scrapers for the Honda B and D series I did not realize they used counter-clockwise rotation.

Another issue with the tensioner on the loaded side is that it increases chordal action. You can see a concern for that with the LS chain guide. If you want to engineer a tensioner based on that, try outward pressure on the normally slack side as that will reduce chordal action. Porsche used that idea in the chain tensioners for the dual cam chain in the later 928 heads.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Wow, I did not know that CV still offered a kit like that. I know Comp Cams used to have a kit like that but they quit making and offering that about 10 years ago.

Bill, those Feuling tensioners I used obviously required me to drill and tap the block for them and I also used a mill on the block to make a nice flat perch for mounting as the castings on the iron block are not perfectly flat or even. They did fit under a stock 1 piece cover with no interference problem. I did run them on the loaded slack side of the chain. Worked great and I could realize some difference when degreeing the cam.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

i could see porsche doing that but they charge for it.i dont actually know but i would think if u g0t a chain set that was correctly designed to b shorter it would cost a hell of a lot more .
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

jake197000 wrote:i could see porsche doing that but they charge for it.i dont actually know but i would think if u g0t a chain set that was correctly designed to b shorter it would cost a hell of a lot more .
...and it does.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Err..no. Per: http://www.jegs.com/i/Cloyes/220/9-134/10002/-1 and: http://www.jegs.com/i/Cloyes/220/9-134-10/10002/-1 , the ten thous reduced chain is the same price..

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-3670x3 = standard sizing, $133.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-3670x3-5 = .005 shorter, $152.

I'm surprised that the price difference isn't larger--but then, that chain and gears set used to be $202 at Summit a year ago.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Bizarre. The standard, -5 & -10 chains from Jeg's are all $70. The same p.n.s from Summit are respectively $67, $74 & $65, yet the sets from both, identical but for the chain, are all ~$20 more for the minus sizes.. #-o

OK, Got some great info guys. Signing off the thread now...

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Post Script:
Received and installed the 'dash ten' Cloyes chain (identified, as specified, by two copper-colored links) and it fits much tighter on the same sprockets as the new standard chain I removed; just enough slack to compensate for the calculated ~ 0.004" C-C greater expansion of the aluminum block.

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:59 am Post Script:
Received and installed the 'dash ten' Cloyes chain (identified, as specified, by two copper-colored links) and it fits much tighter on the same sprockets as the new standard chain I removed; just enough slack to compensate for the calculated ~ 0.004" C-C greater expansion of the aluminum block.
:lol: I guess I am just a bit jaded after the GM/Melling high-flow oil pump purchases.
https://www.ustsubaki.com/pdf/the-complete-guide.pdf wrote:...The chain’s wear elongation limit varies according to the number of sprocket
teeth and their shape, as shown in Figure 2.11. Upon calculation, we see that sprockets with large numbers of teeth are very limited in stretch percentage. Smaller sprockets are limited by other harmful effects, such as high vibration and decreasing strength; therefore, in the case of less than 60 teeth, the stretch limit ratio is limited to 1.5 percent (in transmission chain).
The length increase needed to yield the -0.015" spec is far, far less than 1.5 percent.

Cloyes also has a patent on tooth design that would allow stretched chains to operate properly (I know you only purchased the chain for your existing gears):
https://patents.google.com/patent/US5848948A/en wrote:... Specifically, each sprocket tooth 112 is thinned along the flank radius 114, 116 as shown in FIG. 6, and as represented in exaggerated form by the cross-hatching in FIG. 7 while the root diameter is maintained the same. This thinning of the tooth builds in a backlash when compared to the theoretical sprocket design. Since the root land is elongated, the chain is in hard contact with the root diameter of the sprocket throughout the entire chain wrap. It will be understood that the inventive aspects reflected in FIG. 6 and FIG. 7 find equal application to both driving and driven sprockets.

In point of fact, the chain wrapped around standard non-thinned sprockets is usually in hard contact with a standard sprocket root diameter only at the immediate area of entry and exit and not over the remainder of the wrap angle. In addition, chain wear and elongation when used on these standard non-thinned sprockets further loosens the chain wrap in the non-entry and non-exit regions. Stated another way, this means there is no backlash in the standard non-thinned sprocket. Moreover, near the central portion of the wrap, the chain is able to leave contact with the sprocket. This loose condition over the central portion results in the chain rollers rattling against their bushings and against the sprocket teeth--a major source of noise. ...
I am guessing (my powers of clairvoyance are waning) that this patent is the referent of this 2017 vintage Cloyes webpage:
Occhams Razor: Pre-stretched on a rig to a spec.

I am open to further data.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.