Cylinder head suggestions, 468

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I know there's few posts on how to match manifolds to heads, but the main point is there is no reason to open up both the manifold and the head to match the arbitrary opening in the gasket, leaving the weird "double bell-mouth" that can only hurt flow and fuel entrainment.
Instead, make your own 'gasket' to the dimensions of the port and match the manifold to that. Again, 'Search' will reveal the details.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

Exactly Madbill!!!!

Never "gasket match"! thats one of those magazine therm like "port/polish", "massage" ect..... :roll:

Last time in checked, felfpro does NOT designs intake ports.

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

Ed-vancedEngines wrote:If some enterprising Cylinder company came out with a low priced aluminum version of that old girl with same or better port shape that would be sweet.

Ed
=
Ed
Have you looked at the Brodix RR series? Nice piece for the money.
Kick ass little oval, 270cc intake, standard location ex port, 340+ CFM out of the box with a small port,,,,
This is my favorite head for something like this, it is pretty much a true "bolt on" head, stock length bolts, no goofy valve train issues,,,,
Also available in a moderate size rectangle of 294cc

The only part of your criteria lacking is the "low priced" part depending on what is considered low price these days :lol:
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
My427stang
Expert
Expert

We used a set of Dart heads on a 462

Post by My427stang »

Dart 310cc I think, it was the small pair of alum heads, no work done

10.5:1 static compression, an off the shelf Team G single plane, and an off the shelf Comp roller for the first iteration 288/246. 110 LSA, and had an Avanti built 750 double pumper with a cut and epoxied air horn and 2 inch primaries into 3.5 inch collectors

It made 603 hp at 6100 rpm on Kel's dyno in Vegas, and was pretty docile in a 3.73 geared, fully street rodded 55 Chevy with a TH400

We later went to a hyd flat on the street after a couple of roller issues (this was before pressure oiled rollers), but this combo was very strong, and very simple
Last edited by My427stang on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

Max Effort wrote:
Do you think the World products Iron oval port head is a pretty good version of the 049, with the big valves and some improvements?
My complaint about world products has always been their poor casting quality, large steps in the ports where they stop the bottom cut of the VJ, etc. It would be nice to have the option for the lower priced street engines to not have to add porting time onto the job, but with the world products stuff there is always port work needed.

If the engine can be bumped up to a rectangle port, the Dart 310cc head is a proven winner, if the job is on the cheap, they get by with just some mild pocket work and combustion chamber blending.
Wolfplace wrote: Have you looked at the Brodix RR series? Nice piece for the money.
Kick ass little oval, 270cc intake, standard location ex port, 340+ CFM out of the box with a small port,,,,
I will have to look into those, sounds like a good piece.
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
alexwelsh
Post by alexwelsh »

Thank you MadBill and highVE for validating what I had heard from the builder I previously mentioned. I admittedly have fallen prey to "magazine speak" more times than I can recall, and it's good to get FREE advice from the experts here on this site. Thanks for setting me straight, because I probably would have hurt the performance of the heads thinking I was doing the "right" thing.
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

I have been told by a few reputable engine builders that when it comes time to do the port work on the -781s and 049s, less is more. Meaning, don't go hog wild. One guy even recommended not to even touch the intake ports. He said that when you gasket match the ports on the these heads, it causes the port to have a weird bell shape (larger port opening, necked down runner, enlarged bowl) and it's not optimum for flow. He made a special point to hammer out the importance of port velocity. He said to gasket match the intake to the head instead. He said that there are extremely good gains by working the bowl area, and spend the money on a good set of valves. This guy has a flowbench,
That is the guy to build your engine. He has a head on his shoulders with a brain in it.

Also on this same note. For others reading this;
If you have a set of heads that were professionally ported DO NOT GASKET MATCH EXHAUST. You will screw up a good port job.

Mad Bill , Mike, Nate and others here have given you some very very good advice. I like the way that engine builder thinks. Lock him up and keep him. He sounds rare in this modern world of engine guys who call themselves builders.

Ed