Another Turbocharged Mopar

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Turbo231

Another Turbocharged Mopar

Post by Turbo231 »

I had another post earlier about turbocharging a 340 Mopar to put in a drag car. I have friends that are recommending a Gen 3 Hemi instead and are suggesting I would get more bang for my buck going this route. My only experience with a modern Hemi is the 5.7 in my truck. I have neither motor now and will have to buy. So should I go old-school LA smallblock or jump in with a pullout 5.7 Hemi? If Hemi, where do I start and how easy would it be to hit my goal of 650+ hp at 6500 rpm?
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Re: Another Turbocharged Mopar

Post by Ron E »

I answered in your other thread. A 5.7 would be a great engine to use. Just make sure it's a 2009 or newer version. The 6.4's are great but are selling very high.
Turbo231

Post by Turbo231 »

Ron E wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:38 pm I answered in your other thread. A 5.7 would be a great engine to use. Just make sure it's a 2009 or newer version. The 6.4's are great but are selling very high.
What about the 6.1 Hemi?
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Turbo231 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:01 pm
What about the 6.1 Hemi?
A good choice as well. They are still selling for more money than the late 5.7's, but you do get a little more too. Check out car-part.com. You can see what's available .
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

383 big block mopar engines are a dime a dozen and are MUCH stronger.
A stock low cr (9:1) base 383 (2bbl motor) is just right.
Big bores short stroke lots of heads etc. Including high perf ex manifolds.
But consider mounting the turbo (s) at the rear of the car where the mufflers go.
Consider the TorqStorm blower instead of a turbo. 700+ HP capable (single)
or 1000+++HP capable dual torkStorm
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Hey. I grew up with B & RB engines. Still love them. It is said by many to stay at, or below 600 crank HP with them. 6.1 stock internals hemis are plentiful with over than at the wheels. 5.7's are around with 500, or so at the wheels. The 383's get into main cap moving is one thing. Plus they are about 100 lbs. heavier. But, they are cheaper and very reliable within their limits. With the 2009 and up 5.7's with the 2.05" intake you're around 320 CFM at .500" lift. That takes some Indys at the least on a B engine. Probably best would be a 6.1 and bigger as they have forged cranks and piston cooling jets. But, of course, they cost more.
The short block design of the gen 111 hemi's is similar to the LS motors.
Andy F could help a lot with his B & RB experience.
Justin_inc

Post by Justin_inc »

IMHO you cant beat technology, even with a R/RB big block in there, the modern stuff will kick the snot out of them for half the cost and considerably less headaches. So again IMHO you are better off starting with a Gen3 of your choice than kickin the old crap. We are currently working on a 6.1 swap, with some decent parts thrown at it for cheap. And when i mean cheap, for less than what you'd do a standard rebuild on an LA or R/RB block