Ford goes pushrod?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Ford goes pushrod?

Post by Steve.k »

Ford building a 7.3 litre pushrod gas v8!This is going to be interesting!!https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/ne ... er-diesel/
pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: Ford goes pushrod?

Post by pamotorman »

I would guess it would cost less to build and increase the profits for ford.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Be interesting if all new head design ?
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

All three major North American manufactures designed OHC V8 engines, then on new designs went back to pushrods. The conclusion would be that at least with a v8 the overall best design as installed in the vehicle the pushrod makes a superior package.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

When Ford went OHC and GM stayed with pushrods, GM took a raft of shit from the automotive press for an update to an antique format. Twenty years down the road, which was the correct decision? Within the on-road performance envelope and dollar cost per horsepower, nothing yet designed is better than the 2-valve OHV8.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
blackford
Pro
Pro

Post by blackford »

Not surprised. Less expensive to manufacture, less complicated, smaller more compact engine, lighter engine. Pushrod V8s have been perfected over the years and Mopar and Chevy have benefited from it. I'm especially impressed with the LS series of modern Chevy small blocks...power and reliability and good fuel economy when you keep your foot out of it.
65 Mustang FB, 331 custom built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, Ported Maxx 180s, T5z, 9" 3.89 gears. ~460HP@6500

2013 Corvette 427 Convertible daily driver
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

Often though the 4 cyl was not a very bright engine. The problem with a V8 is it makes too much power with todays technology for the average driver. So scale a V8 down to say 3 liters instead of a 2 litre 4 cyl.

Better weight, packaging, cg, aerodynamics, slightly worse parts count, better balance and shaking forces, run it as a 1 1/2 litre 4 with cylinder deactivation for low cruise pumping losses and better running pressure ratio for better sfc. You would think the inherently small chamber would help compression and emissions?

What's not to like?

But it's not DOHC 4 valve, must be obsolete.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

The chevy LS motor took the best of what all the mfgs had and brought it together. I doubt the overhead valve motors are done. But for the superduty truck a upscaled version of the bbf is going to be very cool indeed.The head technology available now has endless limits to hp and tq for these series of trucks. Very Cool. The new 5.0 in our f150 is impressive to say the least.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Often though the 4 cyl was not a very bright engine. The problem with a V8 is it makes too much power with todays technology for the average driver. So scale a V8 down to say 3 liters instead of a 2 litre 4 cyl.
This! Idk why we havent seen smaller displacement engines. For more standard passenger type cars that is. I guess more parts and assembly time? Sports cars with hp wars and emissions concerns bigger cubes seem to make sense. But i wouldnt mind seeing some smaller 3-4 liter type deals
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

We need to understand that Europe just outlawed diesel engines in all cars and light and medium duty vehicles!

Why, particulate emissions, that's why!

The growth of light and medium diesels here in the US is a STEEP and QUICK event. Efforts thru EGR and treatment systems has not been able to control the measurable increases in diesel particulate emissions, even with the new super low sulphur diesel fuel production and cleaner burning big truck diesels!

I think you will see more moves from vehicle companies to replace diesels with new super enhanced torque gasoline engines I think Ford might be trying to get out in front of others in this future engine fuels pollution control environment.

The big automakers realize that larger SUV and truck sales will dominate the auto market for quite a few years to come and they have to have low emission vehicles in this market to meet the ever increasing clean air standards. They also realize that the BIG truck market has to stay for quite some time with larger displacement diesels and any effort to limit their use would have catastrophic affect on the worlds economy! That would be the only way overall diesel engine usage could be brought in line with future standards. Ain't gonna happen!

As for larger Ford V-8 gas engine think about what a turbocharger did for the Ford Eco-Boost V-6 engine. Imagine what a Turbo-charged v-8 EcoBoost technology engine could do for a pickup or medium duty truck. YEP, huge torque numbers with more efficient gas engines.

This is where I think Ford, GM and Dodge will go with their truck power plants! JMEducated Opinion
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Ford used small engines most 4.6 282cu. Few 5.4 around 327cu. If they had made 5.7 and 7.0 liter the 4 valve would eat them alive with unlimited rpm and breathing. But two valve pushrod cheap and compact, good emough for low rpms pickup engines use.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

A ecoboost 7.3 would be unbelievable power.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Exactly! That would be FUN power, Can you say Dodge Hemi Ram eater! =D>
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

How about a cam over cam, hemi headed V-8 engine?

The top cam can operate the exhaust valves if this is possible?

pdq67
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

I may have missed it but I see nothing in that article or the linked TFL article indicating that it is a "pushrod" design.

Seems more likely to me that they would build this based on an existing (in current production) architecture, and in the case of Ford, that is OHC.