429 sbc ls build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

slo-svt
Re: 429 sbc ls build

Post by slo-svt »

steve316 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:55 am I haven't see any data from testing that indicates increasing the cu. in. of a given engine decreased the HP. Also have made over 800 hp with heads that flow a lot less. I'm liking the testing rather than copying somebody build. great post =D>
Thanks Steve.
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

Just an update. I ordered the t and d 15015 rocker arms. (Scoggin-Dickey had the best price on those by a couple hundred dollars if anyone needs some). I took everyone's advice and ordered Morel 6483 black mamba DLC coated solid lifters. Dropped the crank and rods of at Joe's to get the rods inspected (pin bores have to be honed slightly to accept the .927 pins) and crank for balancing. I also told Joe to go ahead and order dlc coated pins since I plan on running a fair amount of vacuum pump on this engine. I still have quite a few parts to order but it's coming together a little at a time. My goal is to have this ready for the dyno by Christmas.
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

slo-svt wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:53 am Just an update. I ordered the t and d 15015 rocker arms. (Scoggin-Dickey had the best price on those by a couple hundred dollars if anyone needs some). I took everyone's advice and ordered Morel 6483 black mamba DLC coated solid lifters. Dropped the crank and rods of at Joe's to get the rods inspected (pin bores have to be honed slightly to accept the .927 pins) and crank for balancing. I also told Joe to go ahead and order dlc coated pins since I plan on running a fair amount of vacuum pump on this engine. I still have quite a few parts to order but it's coming together a little at a time. My goal is to have this ready for the dyno by Christmas.
Your not doing anything new. Its been done, the same parts have been specced before.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

slo-svt wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:53 am I also told Joe to go ahead and order dlc coated pins since I plan on running a fair amount of vacuum pump on this engine.
How much is a fair amount of vacuum ?

Randy
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

randy331 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:03 pm
slo-svt wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:53 am I also told Joe to go ahead and order dlc coated pins since I plan on running a fair amount of vacuum pump on this engine.

Randy
It just depends on what the pump will pull. 16+ inches would be cool. I will regulate it down for street driving. Should I have gz “spec” me a kit?

Albert Einstein
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I still think the limiting power factor on this planned wonderful LS7 is the efi intake system! I am not questioning that the OP's engine will make the planned power on a Dyno with the raised runner plenum intake like the Holley Hi-Ram that SAM used, or the tall spider EFI intakes with carbs that others have used. You just can't fit those under the hood. Of a stock Z06 !
What I am bringing up is that the OP listed the EFI intakes he is limited to using. When anyone shows me a non-happy Dyno sheet with this 775-825hp numbers on one of the stock Z06. Hood fit intakes, I will admit my mistaked opinion and ready my plate for crow !
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

slo-svt wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 pm
randy331 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Randy
It just depends on what the pump will pull. 16+ inches would be cool. I will regulate it down for street driving. Should I have gz “spec” me a kit?
I have the gz pro pump on our 421 pulling engine and it pulls 18" or so. I've ran the regulator down and 18" is about it.
It doesn't have coated pins in it.
I had a star pump on a 18* 434 and it'd go over 20 with the regulator closed. He regulated it down to 14" in the car.
We ran the gz sportsman pump on the 355 pulling engine (Tommy Boy) it would pull 15-16 on it with the regulator closed.
The BBC pulling engines seem to need the pro pump to get 15" plus vacuum.
One 469 cube one has the sportsman pump and 10"-12" is about it, but it could use sealed better. He has a dip stick in it that I'm sure leaks some, things like that.

As far as "specing" you a pump,... there's probably an internet expert that'd be happy to do that. :lol:

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Once again, the op has made no mention of hood limit limitations. So....and has even made mention of potentially purchasing a CID manifold. I think his goals are possible. Just glad Im not paying his bills right now :D
A_VAS
Pro
Pro

Post by A_VAS »

what do you guys familiar with thin rings, think of the dims of the grooves on these Mahle set?
is it similar to what is being done w/ .043 stuff as for back and side clearance ?
Thanks
too lazy to make power w/o boost
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

slo-svt wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 pm Should I have gz “spec” me a kit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE6iAjEv9dQ

I'd ask this guy.^^^^
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

CGT:

Please reread Op's post of Nov. 7th regarding his hood on his Z06 ! :wink:
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Newold1 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:23 pm CGT:

Please reread Op's post of Nov. 7th regarding his hood on his Z06 ! :wink:
His post of "not possibly having a cowl hood" was sarcasm as taken by me, in the context of talking about using the manifolds he was speaking of.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Well then we need an exact clarification from the OP as to whether he is talking stock Z06 hood as I took from his comment " I can't possibly have a cowl hood on my Z06"or something else that will allow this build any other intake manifold to get to his original build goal.
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

Newold1 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:00 am I still think the limiting power factor on this planned wonderful LS7 is the efi intake system! I am not questioning that the OP's engine will make the planned power on a Dyno with the raised runner plenum intake like the Holley Hi-Ram that SAM used, or the tall spider EFI intakes with carbs that others have used. You just can't fit those under the hood. Of a stock Z06 !
What I am bringing up is that the OP listed the EFI intakes he is limited to using. When anyone shows me a non-happy Dyno sheet with this 775-825hp numbers on one of the stock Z06. Hood fit intakes, I will admit my mistaked opinion and ready my plate for crow !
In my opinion you may want to consider a different source of protein. Although Crow are considered by experts, safe to eat. They are pretty disgusting creatures.

Albert Einstein
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Not to derail this thread....but I seriously hope people here aren't seriously consuming crows(on a regular basis). I know that a potential survival situation may deem it as necessary but I literally watched from afar as a friend's health slipped away piece by piece from the consumption of them.