WOW! The New RIVIAN pickup just premiered at LA !

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: WOW! The New RIVIAN pickup just premiered at LA !

Post by Newold1 »

How much did Elio pay for that plant? I have no idea. Getting pretty much useless tooling for a vehicle that was not designed as an electric vehicle??

Look at the plant and properties that Rivian bought from liquidation of Mitsubishi for 16 million.

Look at the 600 people they have working in their design and engineering facility in Plymouth (Detroit)

Rivian kept its operations and visibility off the radar for 8 years while it carefully put together a huge team of industry leading individuals to craft the product, the production , the designs and engineering and to secure capital . Very smart -"Loose lips sink ships"

So far I think this group has put together a better startup than Tesla did when it started and their two first products are right inline with the major consumer vehicle needs.

Time will tell.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I own a Chevrolet Bolt, but would have been just as happy with the BMW i3. Both are exceptional cars within their performance envelope.
As for no 8 ft. bed. Current statistics in the market show that the quad cab short bed pickups represent over 85% of the sales in pickups
. That many buyers of dick extensions waste money on vehicles with poor efficiency is not proof the Rivian is a truck.

I have a relative who's worked his way from lot boy at a Dodge dealership to owner of a Rolls/Maserati/Aston-Martin/Alfa-Romeo store. He knows more about the retail car business than anyone you'll ever meet. He tells me, "The car business would be half as big and half as profitable if people only bought what they actually need and waited until they needed it. We make our money selling the dream."

As to electric cars paying in fuel savings, I did the numbers for years and couldn't find enough savings for one to pay for itself. I finally bought an electric because I enjoyed driving it. My wife loves it so much, I seldom ever get to use it.
The original buyer gets a tax credit, then sells it at the time the credit requires they hold and the price is like 1/2 or 1/3 new sticker.
Absolutely untrue. There's no requirement for using the tax credit as to time a BEV must be owned before resale. According to Kelly Blue Book, BEVs are holding their value as well as the general population. BTW, first-generation i3 and Teslas are five-year-old cars now. I just saw a Tesla Model S locally for $18,000. In my mind, they're still $100,000+ cars and the fastest licensed car I ever drove, but the first ones are now just old used cars.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

The great thing that electric vehicles do for the auto industry is they get stale minds thinking outside the box. This drive to newer more efficient technology will bring a lot of new effort and solutions forward to get the internal combustion engines in cars out of the 35-45% efficiency and into new areas where efficiencies are raised and improved and the consumer will be the ultimate beneficiary . LONG LIVE OUR LOUD BELCHING HI-REVVING BEASTIES! Sans with better efficiency! :lol:
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

PackardV8 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:23 pm
The original buyer gets a tax credit, then sells it at the time the credit requires they hold and the price is like 1/2 or 1/3 new sticker.
Absolutely untrue. There's no requirement for using the tax credit as to time a BEV must be owned before resale. According to Kelly Blue Book, BEVs are holding their value as well as the general population. BTW, first-generation i3 and Teslas are five-year-old cars now. I just saw a Tesla Model S locally for $18,000. In my mind, they're still $100,000+ cars and the fastest licensed car I ever drove, but the first ones are now just old used cars.
You're right about the tax rule, I had that wrong.

On the resale, I guess it depends. Normally at 4 or 5 years old a car would be about 50% if sticker, depending on mileage. Luxury cars seem to hit the 50 % number closer to 3 years, economy cars at 5-6 years... so for sure there is lots of room to interpret the market. Used electrics just seem like a very good value as people seem afraid of battery life and possible replacement I guess.

I agree they are fun to drive. The only reason I don't have one is I drive 120 miles a day and need ac or heat most of the time and just haven't seen a deal on anything that wouldn't worry me. There are certainly options that would meet my needs....just need the right price when I'm in the market for a car next time, 2 or 3 probably before my current car is dead.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

mk e wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:00 pm
Newold1 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:33 pm You can't compare Rivian at this point to Elio. It's not even a close comparison.

This afternoon Rivian release the new SUV at the LA show and I hear its a impressive design and product.

I think within the next week or so Rivian will receive all the capital they need to start up the plant in Norman , Illinois. Check some images of the plant. It's a closed Mitsubishi plant just built a few years ago. If you are interested go online and look up Rivian assembly plant in Illinois with images and you will see this plant is already set up for car manufacturing and should be way easier than setting up or building a new plant somewhere.

Elio bought a closed GM with all the tooling.....just sayin
Wondering why they havent done anything besides claim we(the city I live in) caused the failure of the company. They supposedly bought that plant over 5 years ago.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

mk e wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:00 pm
Newold1 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:33 pm You can't compare Rivian at this point to Elio. It's not even a close comparison.

This afternoon Rivian release the new SUV at the LA show and I hear its a impressive design and product.

I think within the next week or so Rivian will receive all the capital they need to start up the plant in Norman , Illinois. Check some images of the plant. It's a closed Mitsubishi plant just built a few years ago. If you are interested go online and look up Rivian assembly plant in Illinois with images and you will see this plant is already set up for car manufacturing and should be way easier than setting up or building a new plant somewhere.

Elio bought a closed GM with all the tooling.....just sayin

Where ws this? How long ago? This one?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.n ... ired_b.amp

Elio says Shreveport caused the failure of the company like someone posted above.
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

They also say this thing has 10,000+ ft lbs of "Total Grounded Torque".

So what's that? I've got a pretty good idea but I thought I'd ask.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:30 am
Wondering why they havent done anything besides claim we(the city I live in) caused the failure of the company. They supposedly bought that plant over 5 years ago.
Yeah....the fact that they decided they needed the plant is way they failed (are failing to be generous). They had the ability to raise maybec$250M and chose a path to market that required at least $1B. ...no way that could ever work and they were toast when they decided it would
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:43 pm
Truckedup wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:13 am Like the Honda Ridgeline, it's a truck for people who don't like or need a "conventional " truck...Great for pulling a boat or occasional trips to the Home Depot..They will sell well in California, not so much in rural areas ....Overall it's good competition for the GM, Ford and Ram and their powerful but complex Diesel engines...
It's straight electric? what the range and recharge time?
It was listed at the website. <shrug> Didn't you click the link?
Don't be my mother just tell me what I asked, did you read the link? :D
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

PackardV8 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:23 pm I own a Chevrolet Bolt ...
Thanks :D A customer of mine builds a number of structural underbody/chassis parts for those, and I contributed my tiny piece of the puzzle to the robotic weld line for those parts.

As for the Rivian ... I will file this under "I'll believe it when I see it". Due to my position working with OEM parts suppliers, I usually get wind of upcoming projects because of the tooling and automation equipment being built and commissioned for them, and I would not be violating any NDAs (because there aren't any, LOL) to state that I've heard nothing of this one. If they want to start building this in calendar year 2019 as claimed, they had better get cracking on the tooling (actually, it should already be designed and mostly built if they want to make that date). Maybe they're using a different circle of suppliers that I'm not involved with ... it's possible. Maybe they're reusing existing GM/Ford/Chrysler part numbers wherever they can (which would actually be a smart thing to do for a new design). There's no reason for them to reinvent door locks and latches, suspension parts, etc. Even so, it's obvious that the sheet metal is specific to this vehicle, and that means the fixtures and robot lines for welding it together have to be specific to this vehicle. I've heard nothing.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Rivian made it into an NPR piece on the LA car show I heard last night. They said Rivian has raise about $1B (double what I saw went I'd googled) and are doing the truck and a 7 pass SUV which I assume will share parts and assembly line? If they have that much money they should have enough to roll something off a production line....should.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Another article. This one says they have $450M and plan production in 2020. Some decent pics in the link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch ... dirty/amp/
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Just heard from a pretty reliable source at a major firm in New York City that Rivian has just in the last few days received capital commitments(over $1B )well beyond what they need to get both the pickup and the SUV into production and orders out the door as planned. I think they will be just fine. JMO
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

I think they'll miss the promised dates if the tooling and automation isn't already designed and mostly built, and if they just got financing (I agree that $1B should about do it) that hasn't happened. Plausible ... but late.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Brian P wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 am I think they'll miss the promised dates if the tooling and automation isn't already designed and mostly built, and if they just got financing (I agree that $1B should about do it) that hasn't happened. Plausible ... but late.
Maybe production in 2020 means September (or later)for the 2021 model year? Can they hit that or is that what you're talking about already?
Mark
Mechanical Engineer