GM 12557236 head gaskets

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hbps1978

GM 12557236 head gaskets

Post by hbps1978 »

I was wondering how many of the professional engine builders/machinists here have built a GMZZ4 - GM602/604 crate engine and used the GM 12557236 head gaskets? I'm wondering if these composite head gaskets need any Permatex high heat copper spray a gasket installed on them or if they are fine to use "as is" out of the package? I'm building my own version of a GM ZZ4 street engine for a weekend driver/cruiser. Thoughts on these gaskets? Thanks
Performance is my passion
dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Re: GM 12557236 head gaskets

Post by dfarr67 »

I've used them both ways on a SBC- still running. ARP studs/GMPP graphite.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I plan to use some sim composite gaskets on a sbc head swap and prob will copper spray the deck side since it's not worth removing and resurfacing, heads will be surfaced so we'll see if I feel like spray both sides of the gasket at the time.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
gramps

Post by gramps »

Used many times on the 604 with and without copper spray no problems either way. ARP hardware for the washers.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Gasket sealer is not recommended with composite head gaskets. Just make sure that the gasket sealing surfaces are straight and clean. Also make sure that the block threads and head bolt/stud thread are clean and dry. Use thread cleaning tools for cleaning the threads, not tap and die set. Torque the bolts/studs in several steps following factory recommended sequence and tighten the fasteners to the maximum recommended torque and NO MORE.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Sumtingwong

Post by Sumtingwong »

They seal up good without sealer. Absolutely no fun to clean up that gasket off of surfaces.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

I believe those were initially indicated for Corvette engines with aluminum heads, hence there being no center cooling hole. As I recall, thats what I was told. I don't know how true it is or whether that's the reason there are no center cooling holes in that gasket set.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING