BEST SPARK PLUG WIRES

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

shiftbyear
BEST SPARK PLUG WIRES

Post by shiftbyear »

Going to the dyno soon BBC 500 cid, HEI distributor. Moroso spiral core wires were recommened. Open to any suggestions. Thanks
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: BEST SPARK PLUG WIRES

Post by Schurkey »

Do I remember correctly? Big Joe was no fan of Taylor (?)

I figure any plug wire with continuity will work, the big deal is service life--so given a choice, I'll take a helical-wound wire vs. carbon rope style. I don't think it matters in terms of horsepower.

But I've been wrong before.
camaro/holland

Post by camaro/holland »

When digging into this I've found out that a lot of opinions were divided between Moroso Ultra 40's and Firecore.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Seems to me there was a pretty long thread in the advanced forum that was interesting to read.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

I've had good experiences with firecore for a number of years. Pulling them off several times doesn't bother them unlike some as they are crimped properly . Twice I had ignition issues with wires sets made from Morroso 8mm wire (not Sure exact type likely not ultra 40).
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Anyone ever wonder what company makes the actual plug wires?
These wires are then advertised as god's gift to racers by race companies in different colors.

Could it be someone like this> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjF4NqMVbQk

I think I have used every brand and color with the appropriate BS thrown at us over the years.
This includes cheap, over priced and sponsor supplied sets.
I can't say that I ever ran one that did not work out of the box.
I did cycle them out as is the norm from use or maintenance checks.
Since there is no HP gain from one brand or color to the next I quit worrying over this long ago.

Back when we only had solid core wires I think I changed them more often but they were easy to tell when they were failing.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

any of the spiral wound core wires should do the job.
If you are going to use an MSD box while dynoing or even just a good HEI self contained distributor any RF leakage from the wires will interfere with the dyno electronics.
We sets of the Moroso 8.8 spiral wound wires on our dyno for when the customers wires are leaking and causing issues.

Most solid core wires have too much RF leakage that causes the instruments to go crazy during a session.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The owner of a shop I frequent was having misfire and other problems with a V-6 powered Ultima sports racer. I suggested he call the outfit that supplied the injection system (actually, it might have been the MegaSquirt DIY system...) he did, and detailed all the issues. The Tech asked "Are you using Taylor HT wires?"
"Yes."
"Lose 'em!"
He did. No more probs. :-s
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Depending on application my preferred wires are...

Moroso ultra 40
NGK
MSD
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

I was chasing some RF interference problems on the Dyno and finally called L&S for some tech help. He asked what wires I was using, (they where some spiral core units), he told me to ditch them and use some cheap carbon core wires. Problem solved.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
DSRE388

Post by DSRE388 »

I had a customer accidentally buy solid core wires for a 470 Pontiac i built and my dyno operator almost started buying new parts for the dyno until we figured out what was going on lol
Ive never had an issue with spiral core wires on the dyno i mainly use.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I have not tested to see if I can make more power with one set of wires over another (yet) but have not had issues with msd and the others that surprise most is I keep cheap summit brand universal wires around. A hand full of times I have used them on engines to diagnose issues. I have never had an issues with them on my Land & Sea dyno. The one that surprised me was a 350 I tested for someone. It had procomp wires on it. I had low expectations but for a basic pump gas iron head deal it made 480hp without one glitch. If I ever get around to testing wires I might include a set of those just for kicks and giggles.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

My race and street bikes (all two cylinder except for the two engine bike) all have Packard 440 solid wire. Some have 5K ohm NGK plug terminal caps on the non resistor spark plugs when some resistance is needed for the digital electronic ignition. I use a Superflow dyno and the shop owner never complained about RFI interference.
So if I pull along side your vehicle will the RFI radiating from my engine will it interfere with your electronics? Didn't the old solid lifter Vettes use sheet metal covers over the solid core wires?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

The 5Kohm resistor should cut the RFI to acceptable levels. My (street) bikes have resistor caps, and resistor plugs but solid-core wires.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Ok, does it make any difference where the RFI suppression come from and where it's located on the ignition wires ? Can it be a resistor plug cap or a resistor plug or resistor wires?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire