Engine Masters 2019

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

JonKaase
Pro
Pro
Engine Masters 2019

Post by JonKaase »

Let's hear what anyone is planning for this year's Engine Masters!

I have changed my mind a few times before settling on a Big Block Chevy. I found heads and a block,these 1967-1968 parts are not very strong.
But with no Cleveland Fords everything has a chance!.... Kaase
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Engine Masters 2019

Post by Walter R. Malik »

JonKaase wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:00 pm Let's hear what anyone is planning for this year's Engine Masters!

I have changed my mind a few times before settling on a Big Block Chevy. I found heads and a block,these 1967-1968 parts are not very strong.
But with no Cleveland Fords everything has a chance!.... Kaase
I was looking forward to hearing about a 260 Ford from you, Jon.

I can say from conversations I have had with potential entrants that a lot of different combinations will be represented.

Just from the phone conversations I have personally had, the potential entries:
Another big block Chevy 396
327 Chevy
429 Ford
352 FE Ford
343 AMC
326 Pontiac
400 Buick

It would be great to see that much diversity.
Because the Race Engine Challenge is now on a different week, I will be with a team at the EMC.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

JonKaase wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:00 pmI have changed my mind a few times before settling on a Big Block Chevy. I found heads and a block,these 1967-1968 parts are not very strong. But with no Cleveland Fords everything has a chance!.... Kaase
So taking the easy way this year, Jon? ;>)

Since the rule revision to allow pre-'58 engines to use modified intakes, the 374" Packard might have a chance and there's reportedly a 299" Studebaker being entered.

BTW, are there small block/big block categories and if so, what is the CI break?

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

I had planned on a 400 or 455 Olds because I liked the Victor intake for it. But I found a cylinder head and sawed it up. Too many water hazards! No way to get a large enough cross section at the short turn to make any real power. The only Ford with a chance is the 428 FE, but the center 4 intake runners are too short.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

PackardV8 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:07 pm
Since the rule revision to allow pre-'58 engines to use modified intakes, the 374" Packard might have a chance and there's reportedly a 299" Studebaker being entered.

BTW, are there small block/big block categories and if so, what is the CI break?

jack vines
The newest rule revisions did away with "small block / big block" differentiation.
The entrant can now choose whatever 3,000 RPM power band he wishes to run between 3,200 and 7,200 RPM; along with some other rule changes to kinda equalize every displacement engine.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Looks like I've thrown my hat into the ring with my entry submission. The plan is to do another Ford Y-Block and this time with oem iron heads and a cast crankshaft. I'm partnering up with Joe Craine so it should be interesting to see what a 303" Y can do. Ted Eaton / Eaton Balancing.
Ted Eaton
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

get you some Cometic head gaskets!
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I put in an application for a 302 ford with C5AE 289 heads. I had a lot of fun with the one I built in high school and always wanted to do it again. I sent in my application on the last day and then spent all weekend working on an intake port, and I haven't been accepted yet. Figured I better slow down a bit. Geoff Mummert.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Norris Marshall

Post by Norris Marshall »

Guys, id like to come watch the show, when are best days to be there, I can probably only do 2 days. thanks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Mummert wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:37 am I put in an application for a 302 ford with C5AE 289 heads. I had a lot of fun with the one I built in high school and always wanted to do it again. I sent in my application on the last day and then spent all weekend working on an intake port, and I haven't been accepted yet. Figured I better slow down a bit. Geoff Mummert.
A 289 Hi-Po was a really formidable engine for being that small.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:10 pmA 289 Hi-Po was a really formidable engine for being that small.
Walter, agree only with the qualification, "in its day." I wasted some of the best years of my young life trying to make horsepower out of that buzzing little anvil; the heads just wouldn't flow. We've learned a lot in forty years; the stock 2008 truck LS 4.8 will run rings around the vaunted K-code Mustang 271hp 289".

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I'll give you an opinion I've had for a long time. It goes against everything I've ever read or been told . " The exhaust port is the best part of the small ford head". 15 minutes worth of work it'll be capable of making more hp than the intake port with an entire day of playing
I used to work at shop in my teens and early 20's, we built abnormal amount of those engines. At lunch I would eat my Jack in the Box and go through the flow bench book. (Good thing the flow sheets were in plastic covers.) There were alot of SBF iron heads that had exhaust ports that were close to 90 percent flow of the intake port, after porting. One thing I noticed was that the 289 heads were always better on the intake port. The as cast 289 short turn and bowl area were bigger than any of bowl plunge cut type 302 heads.
Don't get me wrong they are small and very sensitive over the short turn and probably one the most valve picky heads I've ever seen.
I have a couple small block cars it would go into nicely when its all done. Over the years I've collected pieces here and there, so its not a far stretch for me to put it together. I just have to decide if I wanna drop the coin on the roller cam stuff or not. Flat tappets would save some bucks and keep some game playing under control.
For now I'm excited I like rules, I think alot of engines have a chance. I think you could see some really good running engines. I think an AMC ,340 Dodge, the 327, obviously 427 BBC. The 350 if any of the heads are good enough to get it out to 7200 without too much cam.

I think its a good year. I like what I saw from the videos at JE piston. In 2016 it was a little unorganized, some technical issues but it was still fun.

What did you guys that went last year think of having it at JE?
Mummert Y-blocks
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Sorry guys for writing "I think" about 6 times at the end of that post. I was trying leave work and some up bunch of thoughts quickly :?
Mummert Y-blocks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Mummert wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:16 am Sorry guys for writing "I think" about 6 times at the end of that post. I was trying leave work and some up bunch of thoughts quickly :?
I will add my "I think" to that.
It will be the closest class in point spread from the top to the bottom of any EMC class in history.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

"I think" it will come down to WHO they allow to compete, as well as how strict the inspections will be on tear down. If they truly have a dozen applicants or so, then they should have a two day competition for Old Iron so that everyone gets a chance to compete against a specific set of rules to showcase all the "Master Engine" builders. The 10.5 compression rule and .600" lift, car headers, car oil pan, and cast manifold will definitely level the competition. No one should be allowed to come to the competition that has not already run their engine to seat the rings and check out everything for leaks, etc. That is a huge time consumer.
Joe-71