Drag tires too old?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

fdicrasto
Expert
Expert
Drag tires too old?

Post by fdicrasto »

So I bought an 83 Monte Carlo drag car from a friend that had been idle for 4 years. Got it all together and checking out the Hoosier drag slicks(D105 compound,14x32x15) and front tires, they seem in remarkably new condition. No cracks or dry feel, the sidewalls are smooth as silk and was told they need to be replaced simply because they are 4 years old. Car was stored in an enclosed trailer in the Northeast till I brought it down to Florida last year. I have to replace out of date net and harness, need recertification of chassis but am fighting the tire deal because of their suppleness. Heard Marvel mystery oil can do wonders for the slicks. Sorry for so much blah blah blah but I would love some experienced insight here. Phil D.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Drag tires too old?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://www.hoosiertire.com/technical/

The weather conditions in the Northeast often dip below 32 degrees. The car has been idle in a trailer for four years, presumably with the tires in the same position, taking a set, i.e. under load (read stress) from the weight of the vehicle while cycling through the seasons with the air expanding and contracting.

What could possibly go wrong.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

I get it, just got to loosen my grip on the wallet.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Hoosier is pretty specific about storage.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/tires/drag_racing/faq/#more
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

You might try to get the date numbers off of them and call Hoosier to find out when they where built they could have been in warehouse for four years also.Tires sit around in warehouse for a long time before they are sold.And it’s wd40 that will bring back the sticky in dry slicks wrapped in Saran Wrap (and it works).
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

They have better products that are made specifically for this.

Leave the WD40 for the normal WD40 usage...not on tires.