Actual cfm used vs carb size

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

randy331
Guru
Guru

Re: Actual cfm used vs carb size

Post by randy331 »

Why don't you post up your back to back testing data Fbird ??

I don't mean "I put one on and it did a big burn out" etc, but real back to back testing on a dyno where the theory can be validated.

Or maybe you haven't even actually tried one ?

Randy
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

Buy 3 of them 2 into 1 carb adapters. Put the first one on the carb opening on the intake. Then put the other 2 adapters on top of each carb opening of the first adapter and perpendicular to the first. Boom - 4 Carbs. It'd be awesome. :lol:

But seriously Fbird, where's the dyno (or drag strip) tests to show how good this worked for you? Or you just KNOW this would work?

Rick
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 am If you show up with this at a single 4 bbl carb rules limited race class, they will ALL bock... Whine and squeel.
If your talkin about a 2 carb to single adapter,.... no they won't whine and squeel, they will laugh and send you packin cause you can't read the rules. LOL

Randy
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You need not wait for me. You can do it yourself.
You may even come up with a BETTER 2x4 adapter than me. The only way You can debunk it, is to try it yourself.
Feel free. Mine is in the works. But you need not wait on me. It's not that hard either.
You're really going to bitch when your car picks up a bit....
:-)
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

randy331 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 am If you show up with this at a single 4 bbl carb rules limited race class, they will ALL bock... Whine and squeel.
If your talkin about a 2 carb to single adapter,.... no they won't whine and squeel, they will laugh and send you packin cause you can't read the rules. LOL

Randy
If it was a disadvantage they would say ya sure run it.
But they know better 2x 4 bbl carbs have a advantage over 1 4 bbl carb especially on a V8. And you're right, you can only make the 4 venturi so big.
8 venturii are BETtER.

Even on a adapter, on a single 4 bbl intake.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

6 venturii over a plenum of a single 4 bbl manifold's plenum also has an advantage over just 4 venturi of a single 4 bbl carb.
Another story.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Rick360 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:51 pm Buy 3 of them 2 into 1 carb adapters. Put the first one on the carb opening on the intake. Then put the other 2 adapters on top of each carb opening of the first adapter and perpendicular to the first. Boom - 4 Carbs. It'd be awesome. :lol:

But seriously Fbird, where's the dyno (or drag strip) tests to show how good this worked for you? Or you just KNOW this would work?

Rick
Resized_20190409_130800.jpg
Like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

:cry:
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:50 pm You need not wait for me. You can do it yourself.
You may even come up with a BETTER 2x4 adapter than me. The only way You can debunk it, is to try it yourself.
Feel free. Mine is in the works. But you need not wait on me. It's not that hard either.
You're really going to bitch when your car picks up a bit....
So,..your just on here posting a bunch of BS as fact.

Randy
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I might even come up with a cutzy name for it.

Just kiddin... And I knew you'd bitch the most.
Go build your own...
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

CGT wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:13 pm
Rick360 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:51 pm Buy 3 of them 2 into 1 carb adapters. Put the first one on the carb opening on the intake. Then put the other 2 adapters on top of each carb opening of the first adapter and perpendicular to the first. Boom - 4 Carbs. It'd be awesome. :lol:

Rick
Resized_20190409_130800.jpg
Like this?
Ha ha. ! I have to keep that. Hang it on my fridge.
:-)
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Doesn't the "add as many carbs as you can" theory ignore the fact that you need some air speed through a venturi to make a carb meter fuel properly? Doesn't splitting that airflow among more venturis decrease the signal in any one venturi? After all, the engine can only pull so much air volume based on other limiting factors.

I'm surprised that we are still having the old "more flow is always better" discussion on this forum. Might as well grab some heads with the largest CSA you can find if it's really all about minimizing pressure drop along the length of the intake tract.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

8 venturii perform better than 4 venturii.
And over a wider rpm range too. Allowing more net airflow as a side benefit. 4 venturi do not do this as good as 8 do. Especially on a V8. Get away from single 4 bbl holley carb thinking. You are limited by the performance of 4 venturi. 8 is better. The height of the carbs also adds another advantage. The higher the Y shape inside the better. (Compared to the single 4 bbl)
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

CGT wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:55 am
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 am There is nothing there to say this will work badly.
It has been done before and does work.
Expect to meet or Exceed the power of a big dominator carb on a capable motor. 500+ + hp.
Yup it does lend itself very will to supercharged single carb blower applications where 2 carbs are desired.
It will also work in N/A high power engines.
The more capable the engine (power output), the better it will work.
If you show up with this at a single 4 bbl carb rules limited race class, they will ALL bock... Whine and squeel.
Because they Know you have a advantage.
You'll go a bit quicker/faster. Great for bracket racing.
Easy jet changes to weather tune it if needed.
(It will tend to not be so sensitive to different or changing weather conditions)
Yup every guy that sells single 4 bbl carbed engines will whine, squeel, bitch and swear. "That cannot work"
It will.
920x920.jpg

Where is that dang LIKE button!!! This post deserves it for sure.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

ClassAct wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:19 pm
CGT wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:55 am
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 am There is nothing there to say this will work badly.
It has been done before and does work.
Expect to meet or Exceed the power of a big dominator carb on a capable motor. 500+ + hp.
Yup it does lend itself very will to supercharged single carb blower applications where 2 carbs are desired.
It will also work in N/A high power engines.
The more capable the engine (power output), the better it will work.
If you show up with this at a single 4 bbl carb rules limited race class, they will ALL bock... Whine and squeel.
Because they Know you have a advantage.
You'll go a bit quicker/faster. Great for bracket racing.
Easy jet changes to weather tune it if needed.
(It will tend to not be so sensitive to different or changing weather conditions)
Yup every guy that sells single 4 bbl carbed engines will whine, squeel, bitch and swear. "That cannot work"
It will.
920x920.jpg

Where is that dang LIKE button!!! This post deserves it for sure.

Hi its Vince with Slap Chop! You’re gonna be in a great mood all day cause you’re gonna be slappin your troubles with the Slap Chop. Now look here’s a potato. One slap you got big chunks for stews, two slaps home fries in a second. And now look at this when you add a mushroom you more you do it the finer it gets you don’t have to switch any blades. Now, you love salad, you hate making it. You know you hate making salads that’s why you don’t have any salad in your diet. Now watch this one slap, salad! Now I love Pizza to but once in a while get the veggies in, at least throw it on top of the pizza. You’re gonna change your eating habits. Soup, Coleslaw, stuff we want, 5 seconds. 4 or 5 seconds, its done.This thing this tuna looks boring. Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life. Add this tuna putting it in like this now you’re going to have a nice, tuna, salad. Look at this you’re gonna have an exciting life now. Look here’s a hard boiled egg. One chop, you add the pickle, you add the green onion. And what you can do is mix things together add the ham and you’re gonna love this. You don’t have time to make breakfast, breakfast to go. You’re gonna love my nuts. Watch this almonds, walnuts. Comes with a cover so you can do everything in the cover. Alright or you can do it on the board, whatever you like. So easy, one finger, if I can do it with one finger you guys can do it with your whole hand. Kids can do it. :lol:
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

go easy on F-bird. I think he knows what he is talking about. I considered putting a pair of Q-jets back to back on a single to dual carb adapter. Then the four big barrels would be right in the middle and it could use a pair of factory throttle cables run to a single cable adapter. I just haven't found 2 Q-jets yet that work right !! Might not set the world on fire but it would be relatively cheap and fun to try. Look cool on a rat rod.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com