Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Not interested.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Race Engine Challenge 2019

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Gregory wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:52 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:35 pm Why would you limt the engine to just one carb
If as said many street motors DO run 2 carbs.
The latest Holley/Edelbrock intake manifolds for carbs, for modern
Engines like the LS and the new Hemi use 2 4 bbl carbs.
In both single plane and dual plane type.
Yet are not tunnel rams.

Especially if as promoted here that 2x4 carbs has no power advantage over a single 4 bbl carb.
Why not let the 2x4 carb combos run. Wether on a dedicated dual quad manifold or 2 x4's on a adapter, on a single 4 bbl manifold. Let em run. Let the power "chips" fall where they may. Especially since the $$$ smart money $$$ is on the single 4 bbl engine being king.
I think you need to read the rules for the Race Engine Challenge on our web site: section 106 and 107.
www.RaceEngineChallenge.com
I think he might have been referring to proposed rules for next year ... a little ahead of time. :-P

By the way ... the rules "tab" on that site no longer works.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:41 pm Not interested.
Both classes were won last year by engines with 2 x4's

Rules are the same this year....perfect for you.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

gmrocket wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am Both classes were won last year by engines with 2 x4's

I was out of the loop last year. Were they tunnel rams?

Edit: Answered my own question.
Last edited by RevTheory on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

gmrocket wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am

I think they should let fbird run a of thoze adapters he promotes on his tunnel ram and he gets 4 carbZ !! LOL

Randy
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

What exactly are you not interested in? I'll give you a hand and post them right here for you to read.

105 – IGNITION
Unlimited. ECU and ignition components may be mounted either on the front or a plate attached to the flywheel
side of the engine block and/or back of heads/intake manifold.
106 – CARBURETION
Unlimited. Water or any other auxiliary fluid injection systems prohibited. Must be equipped with a single
point rearward pull mechanical throttle linkage compatible with the dyno actuation linkage. A bracket providing
an anchor point for the dyno throttle cable and a compatible linkage ball is required at the pull point. A diagram
detailing the requirement will be provided to all accepted REC participants.
All engines will utilize an electric fuel pump and regulator and supply line filter supplied by the dyno facility
and each engine builder utilizing a carburetor will determine the fuel pressure. Both single and dual feed
applications will be given one (1) type 8 AN connection fuel line.
107 – FUEL INJECTION
Unlimited. 65 psi maximum supplied fuel pressure at dyno gauge. Water or any other auxiliary fluid injection
systems prohibited. Must be equipped with a single point rearward-pull mechanical throttle linkage compatible
with the dyno actuation linkage. A bracket providing an anchor point for the dyno throttle cable and a
compatible linkage ball is required at the pull point. A diagram detailing the requirement will be provided to all
accepted REC participants.
Fuel pressure regulation will be provided by a system consisting of an electric fuel pump, regulator and supply
line filter as part of the dyno fuel system. Fuel pressure will be set at 65 PSI maximum on the dyno fuel pressure
gauge. Fuel pressure will be set prior engine start up (engine off)l.. This is a Supply and Return system. A
single -8 AN fitting will be required for fuel hook-up to the fuel rails. A single -8 AN fitted and return fuel line
will be supplied to fuel tank.

So where does it say only a single 4 bbl carb is allowed, period? What makes you think that anyway? You obviously read it somewhere. Where at? Unless it was in the rules, which you weren't interested in reading, then you shouldn't have any reason to stand so strongly behind that conviction. What's the issue here?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Well, 106 does read:"... utilizing a carburetor..." :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

MadBill wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:16 pm Well, 106 does read:"... utilizing a carburetor..." :)
Yeah thats an interesting one, it says 'a' carburetor but also says 'unlimited' , that probably should be more clearly stated.
Craig.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

randy331 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am

I think they should let fbird run a of thoze adapters he promotes on his tunnel ram and he gets 4 carbZ !! LOL

Randy
Had not noticed, nor paid. attention to this competition.
Look at all them carbz...Maybe better get busy cuttin down a tree to make up the adapter for the tWo - FoUrZ
induction :-)
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:45 am
randy331 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am

Randy
Had not noticed, nor paid. attention to this competition.
Look at all them carbz...Maybe better get busy cuttin down a tree to make up the adapter for the tWo - FoUrZ
induction :-)
You must have a drawing or something you can show us...I still can't picture it.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

RevTheory wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am
gmrocket wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 am Both classes were won last year by engines with 2 x4's

I was out of the loop last year. Were they tunnel rams?

Edit: Answered my own question.
inline class winner ran a cast tunnel ram, the canted class was sheet metal

did not see any super duper adapters running 4 or 6 four barrels
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Thats cause I did'nt enter.. Its 2 x4 bbls. Not 4 or 6...
I'd do the tunnel ram.
But if you sponsor me, GMRocket, I'll do the 2xQjets on a adapter. Scheme.. "SiX BaRReLs-O'-FuRRy". ;-)
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Interesting competition but can i ask why a 12:1 comp limit and .775 zero lash lift limit? Idle under 1100..

Hardly seems race to me. Hot street maybe lol
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Orr89rocz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:12 pm Interesting competition but can i ask why a 12:1 comp limit and .775 zero lash lift limit? Idle under 1100..

The compression thing gets me. Its pretty unlimited otherwise. .775 lift ok, epoxy welding permitted ok, 12:1 is kinda no mans land compression. Too little for good fuel, too much for pump. But as long as everyone is required to have the same does it really matter? ...not really
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

CGT wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:33 pm
Orr89rocz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:12 pm Interesting competition but can i ask why a 12:1 comp limit and .775 zero lash lift limit? Idle under 1100..

The compression thing gets me. Its pretty unlimited otherwise. .775 lift ok, epoxy welding permitted ok, 12:1 is kinda no mans land compression. Too little for good fuel, too much for pump. But as long as everyone is required to have the same does it really matter? ...not really
I was told that the 12/1 rule was to limit breakage from detonation caused problems on the dyno so there would not be any stoppages along the way holding things up and thus continue to move ahead ... believe me, it is an exact limit ; 12.14/1 on one side got me disqualified from winning.

One side deck of the block was milled .010" more than the other side and a thicker head gasket was formerly used on this re-purposed engine. I missed this and used the same thickness head gasket on both sides. The pistons were hitting the head hard enough on that side so there was lots of oil in those cylinders.
I would make a bet that the lacking ring seal caused more power loss than a tenth of a point of compression ratio gained.

I will rectify the issue and will be back with it again this year along with another entry.

See everyone there.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.