before/after 383 dyno results

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

slo-svt
Re: before/after 383 dyno results

Post by slo-svt »

I was just looking over the data myself. I would have like to see it leaned out with the shop headers on it. I would guess there was another 10hp there. It went a point + rich on the last 3 pulls.
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Could be, but that was with my big 4500 carb, so why jet for his engine, but yea been interesting.

But,.. 670 HP is enough for a factory block.

Randy
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

randy331 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:22 pm Could be, but that was with my big 4500 carb, so why jet for his engine, but yea been interesting.

But,.. 670 HP is enough for a factory block.

Randy

LOL 670 is more than plenty for a factory block. Miss on the tune a skosh and it's all over but the spending.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

slo-svt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 pm I was just looking over the data myself. I would have like to see it leaned out with the shop headers on it. I would guess there was another 10hp there. It went a point + rich on the last 3 pulls.
Where is all the data? Is it posted?
Jim
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

77cruiser wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:38 pm Where is all the data? Is it posted?
Send a pm with what info you'd like.

Randy
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

randy331 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 pm
77cruiser wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:38 pm Where is all the data? Is it posted?
Send a pm with what info you'd like.

Randy
It's no big deal I thought it was posted & I couldn't see it for some reason, or I was going blind. :D
Jim
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

slo-svt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 pm I was just looking over the data myself. I would have like to see it leaned out with the shop headers on it. I would guess there was another 10hp there. It went a point + rich on the last 3 pulls.
Lower oil pressure about 20lbs, better oil pan, 6-7 more inches of vacuum, lean the big dominator out ? Where would it be ?

Randy
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Randy,
can you give me your opinion on the brodix heads,we talked about the valve job previously but how did you find them to work "on",meaning CSA averages,seat concentric to the stems?,i know you did a valve job etc looking more for a comment saying they are poor-fair-good etc :D
i am curious on how the engine owners response was for the good gains,i understand the owner has spent the money but some people dont get the gains they think they should get.
a 383 sbc that makes great torque and 660-670hp
wish i had that lol
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
slo-svt

Post by slo-svt »

I was hoping you could tell me since you and Rick spec my buildz. I would guess somewhere in the 30hp range.

Josh
Pure logical thinking cannot yield us any knowledge of the empirical world; all knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it.

Albert Einstein
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

slo-svt wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:52 pm I was hoping you could tell me since you and Rick spec my buildz. I would guess somewhere in the 30hp range.

Josh
=D>
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

steve cowan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:50 pm Randy,
can you give me your opinion on the brodix heads,we talked about the valve job previously but how did you find them to work "on",meaning CSA averages,seat concentric to the stems?,i know you did a valve job etc looking more for a comment saying they are poor-fair-good etc :D
i am curious on how the engine owners response was for the good gains,i understand the owner has spent the money but some people dont get the gains they think they should get.
a 383 sbc that makes great torque and 660-670hp
wish i had that lol
They are a decent head. If one is buying heads and wanting a wider pushrod area I'd buy the track 1 x head instead of welding it up like I did. They run good too, but need shaft rockers. But he had these headz.. so we used them.

My opinion is, the choice of porters and what is done to the heads is more important than which head, as far as which 23* head.

I'll limit that to the usa made stuff at least.

If you want a 383 like this one, copy it. I'll tell you exactly what it has in it.
Just need to copy that port too.

Randy
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

How did the BSFC look overall, what was the smallest header you tried, did you try the 1.75 x 3 by any chance, spacer help? Good pan?, head or intake combo show a restriction anywhere in the curve, try different fuels? Run together questions, lol sorry
Tom
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Was the cam moved at all?
From where to where?
Did it help or hurt?

I can’t remember, did it have a vacuum pump on it before?

Any more thoughts on why it needed 48* timing before?
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:31 pm
Lower oil pressure about 20lbs, better oil pan, 6-7 more inches of vacuum, lean the big dominator out ? Where would it be ?

Randy
Pan and the vacuum would wash each other out. Lol. Maybe a touch on the oil pressure....the jet change could be 10hp.

As flat as it is around peak. I would wanna see if more duration or area/speed could raise the peak a couple hundred.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

zums wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:04 pm How did the BSFC look overall, what was the smallest header you tried, did you try the 1.75 x 3 by any chance, spacer help? Good pan?, head or intake combo show a restriction anywhere in the curve, try different fuels? Run together questions, lol sorry
Tom
the bsfc #s were about I expected, and way better than they were.
only headerz tested was his 2" ones he has for his car, and the 1 3/4 x 1 7/8 step dyno shop headerz.
Spacer helped a little.
Pan is not a good pan, just what he had.
Ran vp blue, then q16.
As far as restriction, there is always one. Every engine has a restriction.
But, restriction elimination ability is very budget dependent. :D

Randy