Race Engine Challenge 2019

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Gregory

Re: Race Engine Challenge 2019

Post by Gregory »

Orr89rocz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:12 pm Interesting competition but can i ask why a 12:1 comp limit and .775 zero lash lift limit? Idle under 1100..

Hardly seems race to me. Hot street maybe lol
The goal is a max street/strip engine. Most competitors aimed for 11.8/11.9 compression ratio. Given that all competitors
ran aluminum heads and a cam with a IVC to be competitive, the dynamic compression ratio brings things close to
pump gas - a little VP octane booster could get you there.
Same thing with the lift rule: take what would be an acceptable lift for a max street engine and stretch it a little - .775
minus lash and a little deflection and you’re in the .750 range.
Unlike our dyno racing competitor, we listen to the comments from engine builders - so keep them coming.
www.RaceEngineChallenge.com
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

I get it and i do like it. Just seems most race only guys are in the 13-15:1 range around me and elsewhere. And lift is .800+ for the bigger inch stuff. Like a 502-509” bbc, you can likely benefit from the higher lift more so than a 370-383 sbc, both within range of your cube rules. Not that it matters tho unless more compression changes induction dynamics in any way. I’m not sure.

I wanted to do a 12-13:1 e85 motor
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Orr89rocz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:18 pm I get it and i do like it. Just seems most race only guys are in the 13-15:1 range around me and elsewhere. And lift is .800+ for the bigger inch stuff. Like a 502-509” bbc, you can likely benefit from the higher lift more so than a 370-383 sbc, both within range of your cube rules. Not that it matters tho unless more compression changes induction dynamics in any way. I’m not sure.

The idea for this first class, was to have engines that would represent the cutting edge of street/strip engine technology. Something that a customer could go to an engine builder and have built to run limited miles on the street, and race at the track.

Hopefully, if this event takes off, they can add a class that represents "Race Only" engines.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

CamKing wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:35 am
Orr89rocz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:18 pm I get it and i do like it. Just seems most race only guys are in the 13-15:1 range around me and elsewhere. And lift is .800+ for the bigger inch stuff. Like a 502-509” bbc, you can likely benefit from the higher lift more so than a 370-383 sbc, both within range of your cube rules. Not that it matters tho unless more compression changes induction dynamics in any way. I’m not sure.

The idea for this first class, was to have engines that would represent the cutting edge of street/strip engine technology. Something that a customer could go to an engine builder and have built to run limited miles on the street, and race at the track. The .775" lift rule, represents the limitations an engine builder would run into for reliability on an engine that has to run a good number of miles on the street.

Hopefully, if this event takes off, they can add a class that represents "Race Only" engines.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Maybe also a "Unlimited Street" class that does allow water injection and or water Methanol Injection.
To ward off detonation on "street gas" . let it all hand out.
Now that I see that multi carbs are allowed I guess I
should pay some attention.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I was able to go through this years rules and I'm surprised at the leeway given to cam journal diameter, lifter diameter and valve angles. That should make for a gnarly competition.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

RevTheory wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:22 pm I was able to go through this years rules and I'm surprised at the leeway given to cam journal diameter, lifter diameter and valve angles. That should make for a gnarly competition.
Well, there's plenty of Street/strip engines running oversized cam journals, .904" lifters ,and all kinds of different valve angles, so why would they be restricted for a class that supposed to represent top of the line street/strip engines.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

CamKing wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:37 pm
RevTheory wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:22 pm I was able to go through this years rules and I'm surprised at the leeway given to cam journal diameter, lifter diameter and valve angles. That should make for a gnarly competition.
Well, there's plenty of Street/strip engines running oversized cam journals, .904" lifters ,and all kinds of different valve angles, so why would they be restricted for a class that supposed to represent top of the line street/strip engines.
I'm not being argumentative; just surprised. Maybe I'm just used to the restrictions placed on various classes at EMC.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

RevTheory wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 pm
CamKing wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:37 pm
I'm not being argumentative; just surprised. Maybe I'm just used to the restrictions placed on various classes at EMC.
I think both those lifter diameter maximums and cam journal size were to make every entry able to have a level playing field with nobody having a distinct advantage there, no matter what brand engine they entered. I believe the intake manifold rules were instituted with the same reasoning.

Some engine builder creativity was encouraged there, opening things for some fabrication instead of just normal store bought parts.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Yeah, I like it. Except that my distinct advantage just went away :lol:
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

When it comes to the lift rule, you need to keep in mind that in a per cubic inch contest, history has shown that
engines in the 400 +- cu in range have an advantage. In our contest last year and EMC years ago, engines in this range had an edge. All the entries this year in REC are no larger than 440 cu in even though REC rules have an upper limit of 510 cu in.

All 2019 competitors have been notified and the line-up will be posted on ST and FB soon, as will the list of tech speakers.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Gregory wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 pm

When it comes to the lift rule, you need to keep in mind that in a per cubic inch contest, history has shown that
engines in the 400 +- cu in range have an advantage. In our contest last year and EMC years ago, engines in this range had an edge. All the entries this year in REC are no larger than 440 cu in even though REC rules have an upper limit of 510 cu in.

All 2019 competitors have been notified and the line-up will be posted on ST and FB soon, as will the list of tech speakers.
Yeah makes sense given the rules.
Curtis Z

Post by Curtis Z »

When will the competitors and the tech speakers be posted?
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Curtis Z wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:35 pm When will the competitors and the tech speakers be posted?
All competitors have been notified. The list of tech speakers should be finalized and posted in a week or two.
We will also post the engine types/specs at that time. Engine builders often run into glitches and have to withdraw.
This is why we encourage anyone to send in an application if they are interested.
www.RaceEngineChallenge.com
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

This thread has moved over to "General Discussion" for a list of the 2019 competitors.