Coil triggering

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro
Coil triggering

Post by Fireonthemountain »

Normally triggering of spark in past days were from the grounding of the negative side or ground side of the coils. Tuner has suggest grounds the negative side of the TFI coils to the heads, for best spark with the MDS6. But is this also the case with a points or Unilite trigger in the distributer, and with the older coils such as a Mallory Promaster, that the negative on the coil goes to the heads with the MSD6???
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Coil triggering

Post by Alaskaracer »

No. Two different ignitions. The Mallory is an inductive ignition and MSD is capacitive discharge. Two very different animals.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Fireonthemountain wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 pm Normally triggering of spark in past days were from the grounding of the negative side or ground side of the coils.
Right.
The negative side of the coil was the trigger, and it "fired" through the positive terminal, strange as that is.

"Make sure the coil is grounded" is a joke we use to spoof the new guy.
Like, go get the brass magnet.
and always shake the brake-clean until the ball rattles.

Now, far as how you wire a coil for the CDI, I don't remember.....
Will have to look that up, in the wiring diagram
But I SUSPECT, tuner is correct, that with a MSD 6al, the ground side of the coil, is actually ground!
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

modok wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:44 pm
Fireonthemountain wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 pm Normally triggering of spark in past days were from the grounding of the negative side or ground side of the coils.
Right.
The negative side of the coil was the trigger, and it "fired" through the positive terminal, strange as that is.

"Make sure the coil is grounded" is a joke we use to spoof the new guy.
Like, go get the brass magnet.
and always shake the brake-clean until the ball rattles.

Now, far as how you wire a coil for the CDI, I don't remember.....
Will have to look that up, in the wiring diagram
But I SUSPECT, tuner is correct, that with a MSD 6al, the ground side of the coil, is actually ground!
Ok thanks...I will, if no one says for sure, just test it that way for a few seconds. How bad can the explosion be :lol: I think I will use my weakest coil for the test.