Benefits of tapered quench for NA applications?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Benefits of tapered quench for NA applications?

Post by BradH »

Is there any public-domain research or testing available on possible benefits of tapered quench pads for NA applications?

This would be where the quench area has a small divergent angle from the cylinder-side to the plug-side of the pad (a "mini wedge" rather than parallel surfaces between the piston top and the cylinder head). I presume it's similar to what I hear as "softening" the chamber for power-adder applications.

Thanks - Brad
Mikej26
Re: Benefits of tapered quench for NA applications?

Post by Mikej26 »

I don’t have any info, but I’ve been wonder this same thing and am looking forward to what others have to say.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

BradH wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 am Is there any public-domain research or testing available on possible benefits of tapered quench pads for NA applications?

Thanks - Brad
I saw an attachment or a link in the last 3 days posted here regarding this; it was a paper on the design considerations for a Toyota 4 cylinder.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I have been asking that for about 10 years now with no luck, in a recent discussion on FaceBook with power adder guys running different versions of soft chambers it seems they never gave it a thought as to the possible benefit of directing the quench on a na engine.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Flame travel
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Powertrip
Pro
Pro

Post by Powertrip »

The Toyota paper discussed a directed squish, not a tapered quench if I'm reading that paper correctly. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence in the two stroke and Harley bike world, but nothing as far as track or dyno proof. It is something I would like to investigate one day.
The price of progress is trouble.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Maybe this is directed quench? This is on my hemi head vintage race bike...The quench you see is about .032-035......Does it work? I don't know but the engine , more moderately tuned and running lower rpm than the others, put the competition on the trailer for a few years in my land speed racing class...

Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
learner1

Post by learner1 »

As of yet i don't believe in tapered or angled cylinder head quench pads, however, my opinion is subject to change. I feel quench is very important and a tapered pad would reduce it and i wouldn't reduce the quench with a taper or angle in favor of directing it. I do believe in directing the mixture by shaping the piston to create quench and i believe in un-even quench pads.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Do a search here on Speedtalk on both "quench" and "squish". Quote a bit of good input and findings.

Also go to Larry Widmers work at www.theoldone.com
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Do a search here on Speedtalk on both "quench" and "squish". Quote a bit of good input and findings.

Also go to Larry Widmers work at www.theoldone.com
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Tapered squish is surfaces that are not parallel? Some of what is being talked about seems to be "angled" squish bands
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Is a quench pad even needed or was it just the best place to fill in the piston to achieve the needed compression goals?

I think people trying to push the limits of crappy fuel led to the belief that all engines need a tight quench area but many high compression naturally aspirated race engines have been done with no quench pad what so ever as well as OEM engine with compression to fit the fuel at the pump, the big difference is that they run the proper fuel for the engine.

Here is an example of the type of piston. Image

Another Image
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

There is a lot of conjecture regarding definitions and with regards to what others may have written I suppose it remains unclear at least to me. Regarding specifically the linked PDF. They are using squish to describe a parallel and angled piston to chamber shape and describing what sounds a lot like flame masking.
TAPER SQUISH COMBUSTION CHAMBER – The
squish area formed by the piston top and cylinder head
bottom surface has been tapered by being inclined along
the cylinder head combustion chamber wall (Fig. 10) .
This taper squish shape reduces the masking portion
around the intake valve when it is open, increasing intake
air volume (Fig. 11). Moreover, in the early stage of combustion,
this taper squish helps combustion pressure to
increase gradually and, at the latter part of combustion,
increases the burning velocity (Fig. 12), thereby en-hancing
anti-knock quality. It is inferred that the increase of
flow velocity to the squish area promotes the flame propagation
to the end of the squish area upon piston descent
(Fig. 13). Fig. 14 shows the benefits of the improved performance
in the prototype stage.
Really is worth reading and reviewing the various figures and will answer many of the questions posed here.
https://www.spyderchat.com/1zzfe.pdf

- Paul
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

SBC 327, 462 casting. Tapered area over the spark plug area.
Is this an example of the tapered quench thinking from way back?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

More of my vintage bike junk but i think it applicable....notice the 'sloped" thin squish band around the piston circumference that matches an area on the head...I milled the cylinder to get a .032 squish....These hemi head lumps are detonation prone on 93 octane with 9-1 compression because there was no effective squish from the factory....My bike engine runs detonation free on lower octane with a measured 9.15 compression and similar cam timing..I would have to say it works in my situation...

It seems from photos that newer stock sportbikes making far more N/A HP per displacement than any factory produced car ,have a narrow squish band around the combustion chamber....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire