'95 Ford F150 fault codes

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

vds
'95 Ford F150 fault codes

Post by vds »

I have an F150 truck here with fault codes, 335 and 452. The 452 code is a speed sensor circuit issue. I have checked the
output of the sensor, which does produce a signal, and the wiring up to the firewall seems to be ok. I have read that the
next thing that can give trouble is a module in the back of the speedo cluster. Does anyone else on here have any
knowledge of this, whether this is a known issue, or ?

The 335 code says: PFE/Delta Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) Signal out of range. I'm a bit in the dark about where to go next re this code. The Cat' was badly blocked, and it was trying to exhaust up the feed pipe from the exhaust manifold
to the EGR. The EGR seems to seal off ok when vacuum is applied. I'm wondering if something else was damaged while
the exhaust was badly restricted
makin chips
Pro
Pro
Re: '95 Ford F150 fault codes

Post by makin chips »

DPFE sensor likely needs to be replaced. There's a way you can do a voltage test to confirm whether it's reading high but I can't find it at the moment.

Have you cleared the code since repairing the exhaust system?
vds

Post by vds »

Yes I did clear the codes It took a decent run before they reinstated, but both returned. I thought I had it for a short while
I'm a bit stumped on that EGR code, it would be nice to have a factory manual for the truck, it would probably have
enough detail to work out how the system works
Do you think you might be able to find that test procedure Mr Chip ?
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

No luck. Honestly, I'd look at replacing the DPFE sensor depending on cost, and it looks like they're $28-33 USD at Rock Auto if you're in the United States, which I have a feeling you're not. What size engine? 351?
vds

Post by vds »

Yes it does have a 351 engine. Does that DPFE sensor need to be coded to the vehicle after it is installed ?
No I'm not in the USA, we're on the other side of the Pacific, but shouldn't be an issue to get one off the
Rock Auto people
bobalattie

Post by bobalattie »

The dpfe sensor is a 3 wire pressure transducer.. with it plugged in 1 wire will have 5 volts, one wire will have less than .2 volts and the last should be around 1.0v with no egr gasses flowing. It should raise up in voltage when you apply vacuum to the egr valve to induce flow.

Try and find a ford part if you can, the aftermarket ones don’t seem to last as long as they should with hot exhaust gasses in the sensor.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Dpfe is super common ford issue, the speed sensor on the rear end the one you’ve checked/replaced? Those are common as well but if the tone wheel that it reads has metal material in the teeth it will affect its reading and amplitude. A good digital oscilloscope is the only real way to test them.
vds

Post by vds »

OK thanks for all the info. I replaced the DPFE with a Motorcraft one from a Ford dealer, and so far that code
hasn't returned. Racer, is that tone wheel inside the diff housing, that the sensor reads ? I checked the speed
sensor to see if had an output signal, which it does, but not that the signal was consistant, or even, maybe that's
the next step.
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

The wheel is mounted to the differential alongside the ringgear.
allen012

Post by allen012 »

check these ford codes sites, i have also a ford 150 truck which i use for roadside service near me, i am the second owner of the truck so first owner was saying to me i did some code change for increasing the performance, so so far i didnt check that and its performance is perfect, in normal use and as well as in when i use it for towing purposes.
vds

Post by vds »

In Summary on this, replaced the DPFE and the speed sensor on the diff, cleared the codes, and it's been ok since