Chinese sbc head bare

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

Chinese sbc head bare

Post by cv67 »

Seen some for 399 on ebay but know I can get them cheaper, or could. Didnt they used to be 199 a set?
Source, without signign up for Alibaba and ordering a bazillion of them?
Just wanted to buy a set, take the grinder to them put decent parts in and see what comes of it.
ANyone order these I could jump in on with?

Once I have them anyone wanna set me up with valves HR springs etc?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Chinese sbc head bare

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Trump's China tariffs will increase the price.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I'm sure India or Korea will start making them soon and return the inflated prices.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Those were up a few weeks ago, they come and go. The $265 BBC Head is still up.

The listings are funny. I grabbed a screenshot last time I saw them.
28377F08-9DEA-4200-8D26-39555F1E7DD4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:32 pm Trump's China tariffs will increase the price.
Thank God.
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

Lowest I ever saw the better import casting was $160/ea or $320/pair....was up to $185/ea last week.

Looks like only $399/pair at the moment, give it a week as it always goes up and down some.

The ProComp/Speedmaster casting went in sale a few times at $141/ea, but it ain't the same casting.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Ericnova wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 pm Lowest I ever saw the better import casting was $160/ea or $320/pair....was up to $185/ea last week.

Looks like only $399/pair at the moment, give it a week as it always goes up and down some.

The ProComp/Speedmaster casting went in sale a few times at $141/ea, but it ain't the same casting.
What are the better import castings? Got a link? To be honest I have stayed away from them all, but will have to put together a junk SBC some time soon and it sounds like that would fit the bill.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I had my step brother buy a set of the Assault racing heads from KMJ performance. They were 399 bare. I bought engine pro valves and set them up for solid roller with springs from Herbert. One thing to note with those heads they seem short to me for installed height. I used +100 valves and I had +100 retainers and all I could get was 1.830 with a .060 locator. That's why I had to go with a Herbert spring. Wasn't a whole lot out there for short installed height solid roller springs. It was a short lift mild solid roller cam, the springs ended up at 220 seat and 525 open. I ported these heads, got just over 300cfm on the local guys bench I use on the intake and not quite 200 CFM on the exhaust. I think it was 198 if I remember right at .700, I didn't do much at all in the exhaust other than blending. They run decent though. He picked up 3 tenths in the 1/8th over ported bowties with the roller swap also.
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

FC-Pilot wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:09 am
Ericnova wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 pm Lowest I ever saw the better import casting was $160/ea or $320/pair....was up to $185/ea last week.

What are the better import castings? Got a link? To be honest I have stayed away from them all, but will have to put together a junk SBC some time soon and it sounds like that would fit the bill.

Paul
Tip offs are the shape of the water openings in the deck, note triangle and "w" or Butterfly shapes to all the large holes (no large round holes), the straight edge below where the exhaust crossover would be in the intake manifold flange, and the "fat" upper corners of the valve cover rail...the near similar looking ProComp/Speedmaster casting is different in those areas.
This link just showed up today, $170/ea:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-ALUMINUM-BA ... SwgX9cbdfF

Same head, straight or angle plug links under the name Assault:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bare-Aluminum- ... Swskha1gXm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bare-Aluminum- ... Sw8Zha1gXT
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

I dont know how you guys that do this for a living are making it unless its a specialized build?
More and more guys buy the cheapest junk (like these) but wont spend 500 to a grand for one that works well.
Was curious as to how bad (or good) they may be.

With those selling for 6-700 a set assembled Id worry about a valve head snapping off, something.
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

cuisinartvette wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:27 pm I dont know how you guys that do this for a living are making it unless its a specialized build?
More and more guys buy the cheapest junk (like these) but wont spend 500 to a grand for one that works well.
Was curious as to how bad (or good) they may be.

With those selling for 6-700 a set assembled Id worry about a valve head snapping off, something.
I would never buy them assembled, for that very reason.

There are more than a few Pro head porting guys who use this casting for their "econo" race head. "He who cannot be named here" was one of them.

I'll take a pair of these over wasting money rebuilding some old tired worn out fuelie junk or risking cracked Vortec stockers
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Expect the price of these and other off shore castings to jump in price soon.. And expect the price of cast in USA
Name brand heads to ALSO INCREASE IN PRICE.
Enjoy your trade war.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

F-bird, why don't you just come out and say your are jealous of Americans? You make cracks on here all the time about our laws and politics...what does it matter to you? Honestly, I could care less about what Canada laws or political agendas are. So my advice to you is post your riff in the political section where everyone else who don't give 2 cents about your opinion don't have to read it. Nothing in this thread have you posted was productive.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Uuuuh. Touchy... Just a bit...
I am hardly jealous of you Americans..
I get up every morning and thank god I'm in Canada ,bud.
Every day.
By the way our 2 countries just signed a deal to dtop the Trump tariffs on steel and aluminum illegally imposed on Canada. (But now resolved)
Ya it matters to Both of us.
Now a NAFta/USMCA deal is now POSSIBLE..
YOU in America NEED THAT DEAL MORE THAN WE DO..
PS now with this deal the price of Aluminum maY not spike....

Just you know, I am a citizen of both Canada and the USA. By birth. When ever I or anyone else here buy any high performance parts (including all aluminum cylinder heads they come from USA. (Off shore castings or not) We are your best customer. Like it or not.
Everything effects everything. Especially right on the border. Hardly jealous of you, ever.

The price of those off shore cast aluminum cylinder heads and intake manifolds is going to increase.
Like it or not.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I am sorry if I missed something about the answer to which head is the better casting.Is the assualt the best?