Caliper clocking?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Caliper clocking?

Post by Roundybout »

My sons at the point on welding up the caliper mounts on his kart. Are there any pros and cons on where its mounted? I know the bleeder needs to be the highest point but that won’t be a problem with any way it’s clocked on mock up. Did a ton of reading online and I’m basically inclined to believe it doesn’t matter. Is there any difference in braking/steering feel if they are mounted at the 9 o’clock as opposed to the 3 o’clock position? What about the 6 o’clock position to lower the center of gravity?
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Caliper clocking?

Post by af2 »

Roundybout wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:36 pm My sons at the point on welding up the caliper mounts on his kart. Are there any pros and cons on where its mounted? I know the bleeder needs to be the highest point but that won’t be a problem with any way it’s clocked on mock up. Did a ton of reading online and I’m basically inclined to believe it doesn’t matter. Is there any difference in braking/steering feel if they are mounted at the 9 o’clock as opposed to the 3 o’clock position? What about the 6 o’clock position to lower the center of gravity?
Front or rear?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

af2 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:23 pm
Roundybout wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:36 pm My sons at the point on welding up the caliper mounts on his kart. Are there any pros and cons on where its mounted? I know the bleeder needs to be the highest point but that won’t be a problem with any way it’s clocked on mock up. Did a ton of reading online and I’m basically inclined to believe it doesn’t matter. Is there any difference in braking/steering feel if they are mounted at the 9 o’clock as opposed to the 3 o’clock position? What about the 6 o’clock position to lower the center of gravity?
Front or rear?
Doh! Fronts. Rear is a single caliper with the disc mounted on a solid axle. That’s mounted at about the 3 o’clock position.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

Makes no difference relative to the braking/steering feel.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Since you never have water immersion concerns on this application, and if you can make the bleeder work close to the 6 position, that's what I would do,

No point mounting ANYTHING higher then required.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

j-c-c wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 am Since you never have water immersion concerns on this application, and if you can make the bleeder work close to the 6 position, that's what I would do,

That was my feeling too. Try to get the center of gravity as low as possible. Just wasn’t sure if by doing that anything would be effected negatively. Upon looking at the other competitors karts, they’re mounted all over the place. Any little edge I think could help at this point. Thanks.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Roundybout wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:07 am
j-c-c wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 am Since you never have water immersion concerns on this application, and if you can make the bleeder work close to the 6 position, that's what I would do,

That was my feeling too. Try to get the center of gravity as low as possible. Just wasn’t sure if by doing that anything would be effected negatively. Upon looking at the other competitors karts, they’re mounted all over the place. Any little edge I think could help at this point. Thanks.
6:00 if they will work there.
GURU is only a name.
Adam