Re: 380 ci sbc bending exhaust valve

Post by gsbrown83 »

Could it be an intake problem causing a lean condition
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

It’s odd it bent #1 so soon after a cool down to get it to the trailer after inspecting. If it was always just #7 I’d suspect the cam or maybe a cooling issue on that cylinder but this happens with different heads, correct? Clearance or seals would be my first guess.
gsbrown83

Post by gsbrown83 »

Yes brand new dart heads. Same always number #7. It's far fetched but what are possibilities of lifter bore doing something funny when warm?
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Does not matter at this point whose heads or whether they are new or not. Even new heads can have valve guide clearance and lubrication issues. When valves hang up in guides while heated from runs they will usually delay closing or opening event timing and the valve will do the "dance" off the top of the piston-whola bent valves! :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

gsbrown83 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:17 am Yes brand new dart heads. Same always number #7. It's far fetched but what are possibilities of lifter bore doing something funny when warm?
What was on it before those Darts? Same thing?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

cjperformance wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:17 am Would be great to see a pic of the stem when removed and uncleaned, then after being cleaned with only solvent to remove oil trace.
Pic of seals, pic of un bent stems , clearance on un bent stems etc.
I have had a couple of similar problems come in. One in an iron head was being caused by a lapped over guide k liner, the other in an ally head was caused by a cracked guide insert- cracked in the exhaust port end.
I'd want to see photos too.

I had an issue last year on a SBC marine engine. Bent an Exhaust valve in short hours. The valve stem was galled. Most exhaust Guide and stems showed signs, but only one stuck enough to bend. I installed new guide liners and engine pro nitro black valves. It was fine after that.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
gsbrown83

Post by gsbrown83 »

Pictures are hard for me to get as i drop it off to him and he calls with updates. He is old school so probably not big on pictures. Let me ask you guys this what is acceptable seal clearance and or type of seals and valve to guide clearance
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

gsbrown83...i do not know exactly how much stem to guide clearance you need, but i have known people to run the clearance on the tight side trying to gain a LITTLE power and it has bitten them in the butt. Make sure you are running stem seals that will let SOME oil pass by them. Mark H.
gsbrown83

Post by gsbrown83 »

For the tires we use I've told him I can give up alot of power to help cure this problem. I'm going to drop it back off tomorrow night. Hopefully he can find something bcz it's getting very frustrating
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Smokey said .003 stem clearance ,, most won't agree
gsbrown83

Post by gsbrown83 »

Update we removed engine last night and it has bent exhaust valves on 1 3 7. All intakes are fine. All even cylinders are fine. Am I still looking into lubrication problem and if so is it because the engine oil is all being naturally thrown to right side due to forces on track
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

If the engine pan, oiling and windage control is not set up for a circle track race engine and that left side 1,3,5,7 are not oiling properly then that will very quickly overheat valves, springs guides, etc. and valves hanging up can happen for sure. Usually though if oiling from improper oil control is an issue pressures will drop dramatically and other issues will show up like bearing wear and failures. I have seen a few circle track cars with a tattle tail oil pressure light big enough in a conspicuous place to let the driver see he has an oiling problem whatever the cause. Hard to watch a pressure gauge or digital read out when your racing circle track.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
gsbrown83

Post by gsbrown83 »

I have a big low oil pressure light. Oil pressure always good. He has had bearings out of the bottom and says they still look new
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

As already mentioned, some valve stem seals are too efficient, especially the perfect circle style teflon with a flat coiled spring around the top making the seal to valve stem tension too tight. I always removed that top spring and guide overlubrication was never a problem. I now prefer the viton seals such as offered by Comp Cams. Some old schoolers still like those all teflon ones. And yes, left turning circle track stuff with out top oiling can momentarily deprive that bank of oil in some cases.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Piston valve relief -ex valve radial clearance on that bank.
Exhaust valve seals too good. Try removing them. Or change the ex to just those crappy black umbrella seals.
So the ex valves get more oil. What do the intake stems lok like? What is the guide/stem clearance on all?

The factory oem valve covers had drippers to drip oil on the rocker/spring. Can you add something like this to the valve cover? Springs should last longer too.
Seems with tall valve covers the oil goes everywhere except where needed.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.