Spring retainer OD way smaller than spring OD?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Spring retainer OD way smaller than spring OD?

Post by BradH »

I noticed a picture of an aftermarket LS-type spring & retainer combination where the OD of the retainer is so much smaller than the spring itself that probably .100-.125" of the spring was showing around the circumference of the retainer.

The retainer was either ti or tool steel, so I don't know how much difference that makes. However, I don't recall having seen a spring & retainer setup before that left so much of the outer coil of the spring exposed/unsupported. Is this more common than I expected? Thanks - Brad
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Spring retainer OD way smaller than spring OD?

Post by ProPower engines »

In some cases depending on the spring rate used.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I've seen a few like that lately, like the new chrysler hemi
Only with hardened steel retainers.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Pic that I was referring to in my 1st post. Maybe the exposed section of the spring isn't as wide as I originally thought, but it's still a pretty significant difference in ODs.
LS spring_small retainer.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I have never encountered a problem with the retainer being a smaller O.D. as long as it covers 60% of the wire diameter and the step in the retainer is correct.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

If the contact point is greater than half way between the id and od of the spring (covers half or more) then the spring won't be trying to roll past it. Add a small amount because things move and you should be ok. I certainly wouldn't be having the retainer any wider than the widest ground surface on the spring, that's just extra valve weight for zero purpose
geraldtson

Post by geraldtson »

Yes its more common than you'd think. Just another way of selling you less of something and trying to convince you your getting more. I've been having hard time finding the bigger or Correct size titanium retainers here lately. Seems every time you get really good and satisfied with something somebody's gonna come along and screw it up! Most,not all but most of the performance industry seems to be heading in this direction nowadays. They want to feed you Horse Shit and convince you it's Ice Cream! The retainer in the picture seems questionably small. I would be searching for a better fitting one.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Delving into the S/T archives, I find a related question re spring ID vs. retainer step OD: https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2642

Anyone know why the 'scalloped' retainer design appears to have vanished?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Depends on the retainer material, spring load, if spring is chamfered and the use I imagine. For example I have some comp moly and tool steel retainers and the only diff is the TS use less material because it's stronger.

Someone on here(I think) once posted bout how the retainer stress point is not at the edge and as long as you have enough material it won't pull thru the springs then your good, provided the retainer is strong enough for the load to not buckle. Not worded that way of course.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

geraldtson wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:11 pm Yes its more common than you'd think. Just another way of selling you less of something and trying to convince you your getting more. I've been having hard time finding the bigger or Correct size titanium retainers here lately. Seems every time you get really good and satisfied with something somebody's gonna come along and screw it up! Most,not all but most of the performance industry seems to be heading in this direction nowadays. They want to feed you Horse Shit and convince you it's Ice Cream! The retainer in the picture seems questionably small. I would be searching for a better fitting one.
That's how most proper retainers are made these days. Anything over 60% of the spring diameter is just wasted material and added weight.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

ti retainers 007.JPG
ti retainers 010.JPG
i run these on my 383 streeter for 12 months
40 passes CT 1277 PSI spring
230-600 seat and open
680'' roller engine seen 7500 at the track often.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

What about things like retainer press/interference fit into the spring, or is that not the recommended thing anymore?
Looking around for retainers for a particular spring that I had here and all I could find was a retainer with .020 clearance
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

paulzig wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 pm What about things like retainer press/interference fit into the spring, or is that not the recommended thing anymore?
Looking around for retainers for a particular spring that I had here and all I could find was a retainer with .020 clearance
Good question
The spring and retainer I put up fits perfectly with each other, no interference or excessive clearance, there is no excessive wear pattern on retainer either just what I would expect to see.
I have some flat tappet stuff I am using at the moment with a spring rate of 420lb/in that comes apart easy and some comp springs and retainers with way less that is tight but the parts are spose to be compatible, I don't have a proper answer so hopefully, Walter, Jay or Bill could enlighten us :D
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

paulzig wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 pm What about things like retainer press/interference fit into the spring, or is that not the recommended thing anymore?
I was always told/taught that you should be able to turn the spring over and the retainer fall off. If it doesn't, something isn't right.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

One of the things that is surprising is how close -- or not -- the recommended retainers for a variety of springs match the dimensions of the associated spring. Some companies pair up springs with retainers that are .005" +/- within the spec for each step of the spring. Others seem to put very little effort to minimize the clearances between the spring & retainer... scary loose IMO in some cases.