Source-supplier for custom wheels?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Source-supplier for custom wheels?

Post by mk e »

Anybody got a reasonable source or supplier for custom (as in make to this print) wheels or wheel parts thinking custom center section for standard 3 piece rim parts?
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: Source-supplier for custom wheels?

Post by mk e »

May have found a place.

wheelflip.com

Says they have a selection forgings available even though they don't show it on their site.

Has anyone here used this place:
http://www.brwheel.com/

They have a nice web site, have been around since at least 2015 that I can verify although they say 2012...but I can't find anything about anyone using them, nothing good or bad. I found a couple people say they were thinking about trying them but no info from anyone who has used them. The guy is friendly and knowledgeable, prices quoted were great, but I can't find any reports of them actually making wheels for anyone?
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Last set I ordered was some years back, but Halibrand did a perfect job, but a quick search did not find a current website. Anyone know where they went?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Decided to give the brwheel guys a shot.....well see how it goes.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Nice looking Chinese wheel but definitely what I'd consider a European style. Smithers certification?,never heard of it!
I'm curious how this will turn out for you, Mark. Keep us posted.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

SupStk wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 pm Nice looking Chinese wheel but definitely what I'd consider a European style. Smithers certification?,never heard of it!
I'm curious how this will turn out for you, Mark. Keep us posted.
I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a Chinese cert that means anything.

They say they can make anything I ask for that will fit on a forging they have. I decided on monoblock thinking they would be lighter and had them send the 18" options and designed 18x8.5 and 18x10 that look a lot like OEM ferrari 308 wheels and carved out as much metal as I dared, they ended up at 23.4lb Front and 24.3 rear on CAD which seems pretty good. All 4 wheels painted silver and delivered to my door are under $1500....if its not a scam of some kind.

You can see the ghost the forging in the section view. There were 3 families with different widths....I did what I could to use 1 family so the fronts are 8.5 instead of 8 that I was planning...but I have 8.5 now and it works fine so I figured best to get them looking the same F/R which means working within a common forging family.

They do 2 or 3 pcs as well....at least they say they do, I'll believe it when my wheels show up :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

PackardV8 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:15 pm Last set I ordered was some years back, but Halibrand did a perfect job, but a quick search did not find a current website. Anyone know where they went?
Bankrupt
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

You can contact Sportmachines and see who they had make their custom GMC Syclone/Typhoon and Ford Lightning wheels that they sell. They have these wheels custom made. They're not just selling stuff already on the market.

www.sportmachines.com

https://www.sportmachines.net/promotion ... ica-wheels
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I'm kind of rolling with brwheel now. The latest is they didn't like a couple things I did on the design and said they would prefer to just redraw it in their own system. I thought it was an attempt to charge more or delay but that was only a couple days ago and this morning renderings popped into my inbox to review. I had a couple small things I wanted changed and requested the actual drawing so I can understand exactly what changed where but it seems like their rolling.....I'll now their rolling when I see metal being cut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Had them blend the bolt c'bores smooth and brake all sharp edges....they look right so I green lighted production.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

1st one off the mill.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Smithers Rapra is a global company with USA headquarters in Akron, OH and world class testing facilities. ISO 17025 certified facilities.

https://www.smithersrapra.com/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/smithers ... 00353.html
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Wrong link posted above. Sorry

https://www.smithers.com/careers/our-co ... -locations

The Smithers Group would be the name I was looking for.
JC -

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:55 am Wrong link posted above. Sorry

Is this correct for wheel certification? In the materials section it appears to be mostly related to pharmaceuticals and chemicals.

Mark, I like the looks of those wheels and their willingness to incorporate upgrades to your specs. Have a feeling this will turn out well. Gotta say I was skeptical at first!
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

SupStk wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:34 pm
midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:55 am Wrong link posted above. Sorry

Is this correct for wheel certification? In the materials section it appears to be mostly related to pharmaceuticals and chemicals.
material certs maybe?

SupStk wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:34 pm Mark, I like the looks of those wheels and their willingness to incorporate upgrades to your specs. Have a feeling this will turn out well. Gotta say I was skeptical at first!
Thanks and I was pretty skeptical too :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer