My BBC progress

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GRTfast
Guru
Guru
Re: My BBC progress

Post by GRTfast »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:41 pm I made it to the track this saturday and made a little progress. Best pass was a 9.37 at 142.5 mph. No more wheelies but traction was also not great. Hard to know if my above mentioned modifications took away the traction but i do know the track was being difficult. The engine is working really good and runs awesome on the cheap 100LL Av gas with 12.9 CR. At 3400 pounds the math says 780 hp at a 142 mph and 820 hp at 9.37 ET. My 1/8 mile is 5.95 ET. The car is quite consistent once the track warms up and it starts to hook.
Awesome. Sounds like you are going in the right direction.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Does anyone run a motorplate on the front of their engine without a mid plate ? Just using the tranny mount and a front plate ?
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Me and a bud did a Rambler Rogue with a BB chry with a front motor plate "Elefant Ears" 383 and a 440 motors
727 , 8-3/4 Dart rear. Nitrous . not a 9 sec car but worked well and was a lot of fun. Made swapping the engine trans in-out very fast.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:48 am Does anyone run a motorplate on the front of their engine without a mid plate ? Just using the tranny mount and a front plate ?
Brian
My dad's altered (back in the 80's) used a front plate and trans mount. The car ran high 7's on the bottle, launching off the trans brake. Never had an issue.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

ok thanks, might be a good winter project. I really don't like my side motor mounts. they have never fit right.
Brian
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:42 am ok thanks, might be a good winter project. I really don't like my side motor mounts. they have never fit right.
Brian
Since I was just a little guy, I don't remember how beefy the front plate was. Just something to consider.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Fun weekend at the track. Every time i went this summer my car got quicker so thats a good feeling.

Went 9.34 at 141 and my single adjustable QA1 front shocks along with my suspension travel stoppers seem to be working to keep from doing big wheelies. Thanks to everyone for following my progress and giving me advice !!
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:17 pm Fun weekend at the track. Every time i went this summer my car got quicker so thats a good feeling.

Went 9.34 at 141 and my single adjustable QA1 front shocks along with my suspension travel stoppers seem to be working to keep from doing big wheelies. Thanks to everyone for following my progress and giving me advice !!
Heck yeah!! Congratulations man!
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Big race weekend coming up. Only changes are i jetted up 2 sizes. Car seemed to get louder on a test drive, don't know if that means anything. My carbs are sitting at 84 / 94 with 6.5 PV. Best pass last time was the 9.34 but mph was down. Possibly due to a bad cross wind that day. Every time i have went to the track this summer i have had a new best time so we will see if that trend continues.
Brian
canada1

Post by canada1 »

You have made great progress since the first post a few years ago!
Well into the 800+ HP region.
Looks like you are having fun.

Cheers
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

It's great that you are finding your way with your Tunnel Ram setup. Joe Sherman would be proud of ya.
Great thread.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:48 am Does anyone run a motorplate on the front of their engine without a mid plate ? Just using the tranny mount and a front plate ?
Brian
Depends on the transmission case and block attachment.

I can imagine ears breaking off a transmission easily.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:12 am
Brian
Depends on the transmission case and block attachment.

I can imagine ears breaking off a transmission easily.
I don't think this would be any different from running engine mounts and trans mount, I have seen several front plate only set ups, if you look back some of the early chevys used the lower holes on the front of the block as motor mounts as did the Vega conversion kits.

You could probably fab a cpl of ears from the lower tranny bolts to the frame for extra insurance.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

this morning went 9.266 at 144 mph. Had a great day and year of racing. My season is over now. I'm gonna back track on my last post and say that the 1.8 rockers on the intake valves probably did help. I think the motor liked the big MJ as well. Thanks to everyone on speedtalk who follows my thread and helps me with advice. I'm kind of at the point where i'm not sure how much faster i actually want to go. I'd have to go into super pro below 9.0 and i'm not really interested in delay box racing. I'll keep tinkering and see how close to 9.0 i can get.
Brian
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:51 pm this morning went 9.266 at 144 mph. Had a great day and year of racing. My season is over now. I'm gonna back track on my last post and say that the 1.8 rockers on the intake valves probably did help. I think the motor liked the big MJ as well. Thanks to everyone on speedtalk who follows my thread and helps me with advice. I'm kind of at the point where i'm not sure how much faster i actually want to go. I'd have to go into super pro below 9.0 and i'm not really interested in delay box racing. I'll keep tinkering and see how close to 9.0 i can get.
Brian
Awesome job man. That is moving. :)