GM Rocket block oiling problem

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: GM Rocket block oiling problem

Post by BOOT »

Are the lifters going too high and just into the roller area causing a huge leak?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

I would drain the oil and check for aeration after a short blast.
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

What is the GPM of the Titan oil pump ? You might need an Accusump. That is a lot of Main and rod clearance. I think the flow of a standard SBC pump is 7 GPM at 3000 rpm.How high are you turning the engine? I am wondering how much flow at 6,7,8000 rpm?
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Rewguy, are those Lunati roller lifters the ones you are using ( i assume so) ? Are those identical to the lifters used in the past ? Mark H.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

rewguy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:14 pm p.s. When the engine first fired it would not oil the rockers.......I added small grooves to the pushrod feed hole to help. About .020 deep, and .025 across. PLENTY of oil then. But I have a very hard time believing that the grooves are the issue with running the pan dry this quickly.
Have you tried priming the engine? I did the same thing more or less using a Dremel tool to groove, once assembled I primed it. Nice, lots of oil (had same issues, would not oil up top until running for a minute with the first set of non grooved lifters, actually burnt up a rocker tip and valve over the season) but after a few seconds you could hear the pump suck air. #-o The is with a Dart Little M and fortunately I had installed .090" restrictors in the front (was wide open in the rear) so I plugged the back lifter gallery oil feeds and ran it. It's not brilliant, 7 quarts in a 6 quart pan and the oil pressure gauge fluctuates between 42 and 50 for the last half of the track. I'll finish off the season then look at the bearings in the off season. I plan on restricting it further for next year, trial and error on the engine stand by plugging the front and adjusting the rear orifices as required.

Using Lunati ultra pro which I believe is made by Morel. The bodies I believe are about .001" bigger than Comp and that is what I attribute to the "no oil" issue (at least in my case) I plan to hone another .0005" into the bores as part of a major refresh down the road with new, non grooved, lifters. I had no oil pressure issues before I put in these oiling grooves.

Does your block not have provisions to restrict the lifter gallery feeds?
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Drop the pan 1 to 2 inches in the front spin the pump with a drill and watch where the oil is going.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

rewguy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:21 pm 20190731_155754.jpg20190731_155628.jpg
Lifter to bore clearance is .0019
That looks like a Morel lifter with two edge orifice holes. With .0019 lifter to bore clearance, you should have had plenty of oil to the top without modifying the lifters. We run that style lifter with .0013-.0014" clearance and no modifications and get plenty of oil thru the pushrod.

Those grooves you added are massive and it appears you have two per hole. If you ever do another set, have someone surface grind them or mill with a carbide endmill. One .002" deep flat per hole adds a lot of oil and consider doing just one hole per lifter.
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

I would make a drain hose from the back of the valve covers to the pan
tjus

Post by tjus »

i had same issue with Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 in my hyd roller BBC changed to mobil1 5w-50 and no issues.
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

tenxal wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:19 am Have you tried it w/o the vacuum pump?
I have not tried it without the vacuum pump as my valve covers don't have breather enough provision for adequate breathing
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

Charliesauto wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:06 pm
rewguy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:21 pm 20190731_155754.jpg20190731_155628.jpg
Lifter to bore clearance is .0019
That looks like a Morel lifter with two edge orifice holes. With .0019 lifter to bore clearance, you should have had plenty of oil to the top without modifying the lifters. We run that style lifter with .0013-.0014" clearance and no modifications and get plenty of oil thru the pushrod.

Those grooves you added are massive and it appears you have two per hole. If you ever do another set, have someone surface grind them or mill with a carbide endmill. One .002" deep flat per hole adds a lot of oil and consider doing just one hole per lifter.
I agree completely......
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

swampbuggy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:32 pm Rewguy, are those Lunati roller lifters the ones you are using ( i assume so) ? Are those identical to the lifters used in the past ? Mark H.
It is the first build for us on this. So they are the only lifters we've tried in it.
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

steve316 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:03 pm Drop the pan 1 to 2 inches in the front spin the pump with a drill and watch where the oil is going.
I believe we will try this soon. I plan on restricting the oil to the top first as long as I can figure a way to do so.
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

Warp Speed wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:06 pm
exhaustgases wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:27 pm
Warp Speed wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:03 am That is a bunch of bearing clearance!
Yeah for 0W-20 it would be.
It is for straight 50w!
I don't know how familiar you are w maxracesoftware......Larry Meaux......But a few years ago he talked about the oil clearance He and his buddy Chris used in their engines......and this is very similar. Even Darin Morgan made a statement along the lines of.....It had been twenty years since he ran less than .003-.0035 on rods OR mains in ANY engine period. This especially is a run "almost right off the trailer", very little warm up time, sportsman style crank.........(no winberg or kellogg) etc. The cheaper cranks tend to move a bit more than the big dollar stuff..... And we've run similar clearances for years and bearings always look new after a year of thrashing.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

rewguy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:02 am
Warp Speed wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:06 pm
exhaustgases wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Yeah for 0W-20 it would be.
It is for straight 50w!
I don't know how familiar you are w maxracesoftware......Larry Meaux......But a few years ago he talked about the oil clearance He and his buddy Chris used in their engines......and this is very similar. Even Darin Morgan made a statement along the lines of.....It had been twenty years since he ran less than .003-.0035 on rods OR mains in ANY engine period. This especially is a run "almost right off the trailer", very little warm up time, sportsman style crank.........(no winberg or kellogg) etc. The cheaper cranks tend to move a bit more than the big dollar stuff..... And we've run similar clearances for years and bearings always look new after a year of thrashing.
Yep! I am going to be in the same boat in a couple weeks when I start assembling the Rodec block that has the same oiling as yours. I will plug the rear valley and plug the front galley with .040" holes for the cam. I hope it is enough to oil the upstairs. I was told by a few friends that ran them to do it this way,, We will see. Just putting it out there from another .003" drag racer that my last engine ran 15 years seeing 10,000 more than once and 8500 at the shift. And yes the burnout was with the engine temp at 100*
GURU is only a name.
Adam