General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Re: GM Rocket block oiling problem

Post by tuffxf »

Gday,
I run between 3.5 and 3.8 on the mains, 3.2 - 3.3 rods, 20/50 torco.1.8 - 1.9 thou on morel ultra pro lifters
No issues touch wood.
Your issue will be what you have done to the lifters sending lots upstairs as well as how much is bleeding past the lifter and past the lifter axle imo.
Cheers
WoundUp

Post by WoundUp »

exhaustgases wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:08 pm
rewguy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:02 am
Warp Speed wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:06 pm

It is for straight 50w!
I don't know how familiar you are w maxracesoftware......Larry Meaux......But a few years ago he talked about the oil clearance He and his buddy Chris used in their engines......and this is very similar. Even Darin Morgan made a statement along the lines of.....It had been twenty years since he ran less than .003-.0035 on rods OR mains in ANY engine period. This especially is a run "almost right off the trailer", very little warm up time, sportsman style crank.........(no winberg or kellogg) etc. The cheaper cranks tend to move a bit more than the big dollar stuff..... And we've run similar clearances for years and bearings always look new after a year of thrashing.
I liked the its too much for the 50w comment. I guess the old aircraft engine designers knew nothing :lol: :lol: , and since they pretty much did things in the ww2 days that didn't catch on in the racing world for 20 to 30 years later. Good find about Larry Meaux.
There's no comparison between engines built in 1940 and engines designed and built now.

Since ww2 engines are so good, why don't they still design and manufacture engines that way? There's no way an engine designed and built 80 years ago can compare in any way to something recent when it comes to manufacturing tolerances, clearances between parts, etc...

Maybe that's why they could use 50w with no issues.

What are these things you refer to that they did that supposedly didnt catch on in racing until 1970?
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Charliesauto wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:06 pmThose grooves you added are massive and it appears you have two per hole. If you ever do another set, have someone surface grind them or mill with a carbide endmill. One .002" deep flat per hole adds a lot of oil and consider doing just one hole per lifter.
Amen.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

The wide main and rod clearances everyone here is touting, may be warranted, if you are making 2500+whp. With the mid 9 second runs, I am guessing thats not the case, unless the engine is in a cement truck! Lol
The thread is about an oil control problem. While the extensive mods to the lifters, and maybe positioning of the lifters to the oil galley are the main cause, the slobbery clearances Everywhere are not helping!
With All Due Respect to the big names mentioned, oiling systems are probably one of the last things anyone here should challenge my veiws on, regardless of combination....... :wink:
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Warp Speed wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:37 am The wide main and rod clearances everyone here is touting, may be warranted, if you are making 2500+whp. With the mid 9 second runs, I am guessing thats not the case, unless the engine is in a cement truck! Lol
The thread is about an oil control problem. While the extensive mods to the lifters, and maybe positioning of the lifters to the oil galley are the main cause, the slobbery clearances Everywhere are not helping!
With All Due Respect to the big names mentioned, oiling systems are probably one of the last things anyone here should challenge my veiws on, regardless of combination....... :wink:
I hear 'ya. Multiple seemingly insignificant individual things can have a big effect to the overall situation. All that little stuff adds up.

Another thing that's rarely considered is the huge amount of oil that gushes from the cam bearings.
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Surprised that no one has mentioned sump design. Do you have baffles and windage tray because bad design can really whip up the oil and that will drop oil pressure as well.
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

Yes.....it has a kickout, built in baffle and windage tray. After restricting the oil, it now has a rock steady 73-74 lbs oil pressure across the finish line with no issues at all. Thank God.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Titan is a bottom feed pump....do you have enough clearance to the floor of thepan.....in other words could it be sucking the floor up to the bottom of the pump?
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

shoedoos wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:09 am Titan is a bottom feed pump....do you have enough clearance to the floor of thepan.....in other words could it be sucking the floor up to the bottom of the pump?
7/16 and the bottom of the pan is sturdy