Camshaft help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

motormonkey
Re: Camshaft help

Post by motormonkey »

1300 rpm is alot. Are you sure gears and prop are close to other boats running 7300 rpm? Isn't that like 80hp or more off from everybody else if setups are close?
I'd would be impressed if a legal cam change would bridge that gap. My last v drive cruiser took some power to turn 29s to 6200.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

thedynoguy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:50 am I know I'm going to get beat up for this, but it's Monday morning and I haven't been bashed yet on the inter webs. That engine needs to go on a dyno to see what the problem is. You can throw parts at it all day long, and waste your time and money chasing the problem. There. Bash away...
Not bashing at all. You are spot on. It is just not feasible to get the engine from upstate NY to my dyno in AZ. I would love for him to dyno the engine there, but being he lives on the river and it is already in the boat it is easier for the owner to have his friend come over and drop it in the water. Sadly I have not got a return email or text yet after sending both. When I hear something I will share it as I like hearing resolutions to problems.

Again, thanks for all the ideas guys.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

motormonkey wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:50 pm 1300 rpm is alot. Are you sure gears and prop are close to other boats running 7300 rpm? Isn't that like 80hp or more off from everybody else if setups are close?
I'd would be impressed if a legal cam change would bridge that gap. My last v drive cruiser took some power to turn 29s to 6200.
Yes, he is running 9% gears and I even sent him my personal prop which in my boat runs 91 mph at 7000rpm’s with 12% gears. He also tried four other props as well. We have the same hulls, and our hull weight is similar (with his probably being a little lighter). He ran SS and PS with the hull successfully so it has proven to be a good boat, so that is not the issue. I sure wish I was closer to help iron this out. Poor spring pressure makes a lot of sense, I just hope that is it, if it is not something else that is stupid.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins