Ford Man O War block Oiling question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Ford Man O War block Oiling question

Post by AA Performance »

Hey guys, just doing a 438 pump gas build and fitting the Durabond cam bearings # 351HP as recommended for the block. I noticed an oil hole on #1 cam tunnel around 9 o clock which is drilled on a 45°angle which goes straight into the main oil gallery. Why? When you fit the cam bearing it blocks that hole off. I have fitted the cam bearing to align oil hole from the main feed at 6 o clock and this allowed the slot in the cam bearing for distributor shaft oiling to align with the thrust plate slot. Cam bearing has a hole but no hole in the block so I guess oil will leak through the slot and eventually go through the thrust plate slot and find its way into the oil hole in front face of the block which goes into the dist shaft for oiling. Hope it all makes sense. Have I done it right? Curious why that hole from main gallery goes into cam tunnel ???? Seems that this could have been made a bit different and better.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Ford Man O War block Oiling question

Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://www.pbm-erson.com/UserFiles/Documents/Product/Man-O-War_Block_Specifications_and_Instructions.pdf wrote:Cam Bearings: DUR351HP These fit 8.2, 9.2 or 9.5 deck blocks. Note: When installing cam bearings MAKE SURE the oil hole in the bearings is inline with the oil feed hole to the main bearings.
877-630-6651 is their tech support number.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Yes I know that. Our time isn't the same as your time to ring hence my reason for the post. If any one has built these blocks, they will know what I'm on about. Curious why the hole from the main gallery intersects the front cam tunnel for starters.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

I know all of the cleveland blocks have that hole and there is spec clearance for how much the cam bearing should cover that hole to restrict the amount of oil flowing through it just can’t remember it right now.If the hole is exposed to much it will cause to great of a leak and give the oil system some problems.Seems like .015 comes to mind.
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

1972ho wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:30 am I know all of the cleveland blocks have that hole and there is spec clearance for how much the cam bearing should cover that hole to restrict the amount of oil flowing through it just can’t remember it right now.If the hole is exposed to much it will cause to great of a leak and give the oil system some problems.Seems like .015 comes to mind.
Thats not the issue and its not a Cleveland block thanks. Its a Man O War block.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Any resolution to this question?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Not really Kevin, just can't understand why the hole is at 9 O clock going into the main gallery. It doesn't line up with the cam bearing hole unless I don't line up the hole from the main gallery but oiling at 6 o clock is better than oiling at 9 o clock. Also the distributor shaft doesn't seem to get pressure fef like normal. It only will get fed more like a leak. The bearings listed is what they recommend for the block.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Is it possible that this oil hole was intended as an improvement for reverse rotation engines? I am not sure what bearing would be suggested.