bbc oil pump on sbc iron eagle 434

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kurshuk

bbc oil pump on sbc iron eagle 434

Post by Kurshuk »

Just a curious...

How many out there are running BBC Moroso billet standard volume wet sump oil pumps on the iron eagle sbc blocks instead of the small block high volume billet pump?

Anyone out there using the Moroso professional gerotor pump on the sbc iron eagle?

Thanks!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: bbc oil pump on sbc iron eagle 434

Post by GARY C »

Kurshuk wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:50 pm Just a curious...

How many out there are running BBC Moroso billet standard volume wet sump oil pumps on the iron eagle sbc blocks instead of the small block high volume billet pump?

Anyone out there using the Moroso professional gerotor pump on the sbc iron eagle?

Thanks!
I have run stock bbc pumps on stock block race builds and still got more psi than I would like even with piston squirtes, I could not imagine running anything bigger/higher volume...
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

It’s not billet, but look at the Sharks tooth. I am very happy with mine
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

The bbc pump is standard volume and the sbc pump is hi volume. The bbc pump comes with 3 springs 50-60lbs, 60-70lbs, and 70-80lbs. assume 8000 maximum rpm, 55mm babbit cam bores, 904 lifter bores, 0.0024 mains and 0.0028 rods, 12an remote filter and lines and accusump. Have not been able to find a gpm rating for the 2 pumps. Peaked my interest because being standard volume.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

This doesn't have actual #'s but they rate the pumps, sbc & bbc, by a few different data points.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-09 ... oil-pumps/
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

Thanks!

I seen that but the links to the charts don't work.
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

Kurshuk wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:27 pm The bbc pump is standard volume and the sbc pump is hi volume. The bbc pump comes with 3 springs 50-60lbs, 60-70lbs, and 70-80lbs. assume 8000 maximum rpm, 55mm babbit cam bores, 904 lifter bores, 0.0024 mains and 0.0028 rods, 12an remote filter and lines and accusump. Have not been able to find a gpm rating for the 2 pumps. Peaked my interest because being standard volume.
Why not just run the 10552 pump with bolt on 3/4 pick up. I bet it would be more than enough oil for an iron eagle small block
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

Melway.

I have a Moroso with bolt on 3/4 pickup. just peaked my interest is all. Wondering if anyone was doing this and feedback on how it is or was working for future reference. If I remember correctly in the 70's and 80's standard volume bbc oil pumps was popular for use on sbc race motors. Some claimed the extra lobes on the bbc pump tended to reduce spark scatter. Used to sell them to the circle track racers when I worked in the machine shop in the 70's.

Thanks for the reply!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Kurshuk wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:30 pm Melway.

I have a Moroso with bolt on 3/4 pickup. just peaked my interest is all. Wondering if anyone was doing this and feedback on how it is or was working for future reference. If I remember correctly in the 70's and 80's standard volume bbc oil pumps was popular for use on sbc race motors. Some claimed the extra lobes on the bbc pump tended to reduce spark scatter. Used to sell them to the circle track racers when I worked in the machine shop in the 70's.

Thanks for the reply!
The M-77 was the std. BBC pump as well as there was a M-99 as well.
it was the BBC pump with the sm blk PU location just in a 3/4" tube. used 100's of them as the sm blk HV pumps were going through quality changes and there was a ton of broken off pumps cause they were redesigning the bodies as we all know
which has lead to the current aftermarket offerings we have today =D> the current number is M99HVS
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Kurshuk wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:30 pm Melway.

Thanks for the reply!
If I recall the bbc has 12 veins and the sbc has 7 or 9, the bbc is something like 10% more volume. Also you may need a specific shaft and I believe the 400 blocks need to be drilled out a small amount as do some after market blocks, at least with the Moroso.

https://www.moroso.com/oil-pump-shaft22090/
Info on clearance.
https://www.moroso.com/pub/media/instru ... nstweb.pdf
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

ProPower engines wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:27 pm The M-77 was the std. BBC pump as well as there was a M-99 as well.
it was the BBC pump with the sm blk PU location just in a 3/4" tube. used 100's of them as the sm blk HV pumps were going through quality changes and there was a ton of broken off pumps cause they were redesigning the bodies as we all know
which has lead to the current aftermarket offerings we have today =D> the current number is M99HVS
What is the difference between the M-77 and the pump that comes with the M-99HV-S kit?

Best I can tell, the M-99HV-S is just an M-77 pump packaged with an oil pump driveshaft and a 305S pickup tube. In other words, is there anything special about the pump that makes it somehow more suitable for use with a small-block?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-m99hvs/overview/
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

The M-99 pump is the same as a m-77 but with the sm blk pick up screen location.
They were better then the M-77 pump to fi6t to the pan correctly. Used them in 348-409 stuff years ago as an upgrade
to the stock pump as they offered more volume.And easier on the cam drive gear then a M55hv pump.

I called melling the other days as I needed a pump and they now offer the same pump with a screen and drive.
I was told the design was the same but don't have it here yet to confirm.
I will let yall know when it gets here if it is.
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

The sbc Iron Eagle block requires the bbc oil pump drive shaft. :D
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Kurshuk wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:30 pm The sbc Iron Eagle block requires the bbc oil pump drive shaft. :D
You are referring to the OAL.
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

ProPower engines wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:17 am
Kurshuk wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:30 pm The sbc Iron Eagle block requires the bbc oil pump drive shaft. :D
You are referring to the OAL.
As specified in the block spec/instruction sheet to use BBC oil pump drive shaft. I guess it could be used as a generic reference to OAL.

Thanks for the reply!