engine masters live feed?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Re: engine masters live feed?

Post by Steve.k »

Very impressive for that small motor also. Do you know intake Bill?
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

Edelbrock perf rpm airgap ported by Geoff.
Carlquist Competition Engines
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

BILL-C wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:47 pm
Steve.k wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:30 pm [quote="Walter R. Malik" post_id=830132 time=<a href="tel:1570463079">1570463079</a> user_id=17962]
[quote=bob460 post_id=830050 time=<a href="tel:1570405283">1570405283</a> user_id=31874]
What was the issue with Kaase's engine?
There were no issues that anyone could see ... simply not a high enough score.
Walter do you know what heads the 289 of second place were using?im thinking the screw in stud hi perf version. Wasn't much to choose from.
[/quote]
Steve.k wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:30 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:44 am

There were no issues that anyone could see ... simply not a high enough score.
Walter do you know what heads the 289 of second place were using?im thinking the screw in stud hi perf version. Wasn't much to choose from.
Geoff Mummert used a set of 1965 289 base model 2v heads with a very well refined cnc porting program run on them.
[/quote]

Any chance you helped on these Bill?
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

We gave Geoff a hand with project. He’s a real sharp guy and was able to make some improvements over our program. I think that if he didn’t have the mysterious skipping issues and was able to get in 3 good clean runs he would have won competition. He put in a real good effort on a very small budget and deserves a lot of credit for a job well done.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Bill was that in the dyno or ignitions?
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I have a question for competitors and that has to do with correction factor? A lot of you guys come from areas where altitude and air density would be a lot different. How close were dynos to your own testing with correction factors?
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

bob460 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:24 am
Hey Bob, no i havnt, do you have a link. Was it a typical stroker 351 or a 400 block? Im guessing stroker?
[/quote]

Using a factory 2 bolt pillow clevo block with factory cast iron heads,flat tappet cam just made an impressive 603 ft lbs and 759 hp on pump gas

[/quote]

Ah yes , stroker 351.
A 400C with offset ground crank, 4V heads and optimised for EMC rpm range could be a cool deal.
The taller deck of the 400C allowing some extra runner length would be helpfull in this rpm range.
Craig.
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

Steve.k wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:58 pm Bill was that in the dyno or ignitions?
I haven’t had a conversation with Geoff yet on that, so, not sure.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Steve.k wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:04 pm I have a question for competitors and that has to do with correction factor? A lot of you guys come from areas where altitude and air density would be a lot different. How close were dynos to your own testing with correction factors?
Barry Robotnick's numbers were exact and Adney Brown's were very close.
We're at the same altitude and only 200 miles away though.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I doesn't appear to be a problem with dyno. We were playing games with some different spark plugs. The particular set we ran had 4.9k resistors, there is a possibility that the 7 box and the 2 amp coil were jumping through the porcelain to the head or something of this nature. Its a bit of a mystery right now. It would happen right at the hit when loading the motor down or it wouldn't.. This is the theory right now. We are going to run the engine and try lower power coil like we were using on the dyno at Westech. We did not experience any issues there. We did not get to test are own ignition parts there because the first box was bad. We had to get another box put it on the run stand and check polarity and timing before we put it in the crate. The truck was coming the next day.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

I’m wondering if the msd box was mounted too close to the distributor and there was too much electronic “noise” for a clean pickup signal. I’ve run across mysterious skipping issues on dyno from pickup wires too close to coil and wires.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

We were playing games with some different spark plugs. The particular set we ran had 4.9k resistors, there is a possibility that the 7 box and the 2 amp coil were jumping through the porcelain to the head or something of this nature.
Do you use something like 'never sieze' on the plug threads?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

yes on anti sieze, like I said before were playing spark plug games with some special adapters.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I quit using anti-sieze because it caused a lot of ignition problems.

:(
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
Ted

Post by Ted »

Steve.k wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:04 pm I have a question for competitors and that has to do with correction factor? A lot of you guys come from areas where altitude and air density would be a lot different. How close were dynos to your own testing with correction factors?
The 303" Ford Y-Block was down 24HP and 24TQ from my own dyno. Conditions were similar enough that I didn't expect a big change from one location to another. The exhaust hookup at the JE Piston facility was quite a bit different from what was tested in our shop so that will be revisited. Joe and I will have the Y back on the shop dyno and will test with a similar exhaust hookup as was used at the EMC. Ignition and fuel will also be tested as I'm typically not that far off with the numbers from one location to another. Ted Eaton.
Ted Eaton