We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor
Posts: 10108
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:30 am

Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 pm

This is an example of what AI can do to optimize the shape of a rocker arm for a target mass.
The cylindrical boss areas surrounding the pushrod cup, shaft pivot and roller axle holes are defined before AI begins.
All of the other shape is done 100% by AI.
Basically, it makes a simple shape like a block, simulates the stress, removes the least stressed material (except the bosses that it is forced to keep) and repeats again and again.
This is just for strength to weight. Design for manufacture guidance is in the works.

The process took about 3 minutes on my laptop.
For me to develop as shape with stress that uniform would take at least a week, probably a lot more.
Using that as a starting point, a manufacturable model could be made in one or two days,
image002.png
image001.png
image006.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com Prototypes, Tooling, Molds.

digger
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:39 am

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by digger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 pm

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:36 pm
This is an example of what AI can do to optimize the shape of a rocker arm for a target mass.
The cylindrical boss areas surrounding the pushrod cup, shaft pivot and roller axle holes are defined before AI begins.
All of the other shape is done 100% by AI.
Basically, it makes a simple shape like a block, simulates the stress, removes the least stressed material (except the bosses that it is forced to keep) and repeats again and again.
This is just for strength to weight. Design for manufacture guidance is in the works.

The process took about 3 minutes on my laptop.
For me to develop as shape with stress that uniform would take at least a week, probably a lot more.
Using that as a starting point, a manufacturable model could be made in one or two days,

image002.png
image001.png
image006.png
isnt it just an FEA topology optimisation program, the same as what have been around for years? what makes it AI

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor
Posts: 10108
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:30 am

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 pm

digger wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 pm
isn't it just an FEA topology optimization program, the same as what have been around for years? what makes it AI
The work in progress for design for manufacture goes beyond topology optimization.

In the end, all of it is optimization though, one criteria that is often used today to classify is whether a neural network is involved; having used neural networks many times I find distinction to be artificial, and motivation to use them counterproductive in a many cases.

For example, there was a guy that made a cam design program more than 10 years ago using a neural network. In order to make it easy to fit to the NN he used a bezier curve with uniform spacing between the nodes. He relied on the NN to work out all the problems. He never found much success. If he would have constrained more outside of the NN I think he might have had a winner.
http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com Prototypes, Tooling, Molds.

User avatar
modok
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by modok » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:01 am

That's really neat example. Only smart as the guy using it tho.

A real rocker you might want to design for rigidity and minimal momentum, rather than for equal stress distribution. Weight can be saved in other areas, perhaps a hollow shaft. Dampening vibration is also a consideration. Just giving you a hard time. Very neat stuff to see for those of us still in the stone=age :wink:

digger
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:39 am

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by digger » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:18 am

I've done a lot of FEA over last 20 years I don't agree that the relatively tight scallops to clear the retainer are the optimum especially with low dress area adjacent. You shouldn't see large gradients
Is it for strength as in proof load or fatigue ?

User avatar
modok
Guru
Guru
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by modok » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:20 am

Must have been one of the fixed constraints.

digger
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:39 am

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by digger » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:26 am

modok wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:20 am
Must have been one of the fixed constraints.
reading the OP properly it looks like it. there must be a way to have constraints but in such a way as they arent excessively specific

Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by Jeff Lee » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:14 am

...and then it goes straight to the 3D printer...LOL
NHRA SS/H
1970 AMX
390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches
Red Line Racing Cams

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor
Posts: 10108
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:30 am

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:14 am

digger wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:18 am
I've done a lot of FEA over last 20 years I don't agree that the relatively tight scallops to clear the retainer are the optimum especially with low dress area adjacent. You shouldn't see large gradients
Is it for strength as in proof load or fatigue ?
That is a byproduct of the keep-out zone for the spring/retainer.

It had a 0.1" radius on it.

As it becomes possible to define more criteria those things will work out.
http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com Prototypes, Tooling, Molds.

User avatar
Caprimaniac
Expert
Expert
Posts: 796
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by Caprimaniac » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:46 am

This is cool. Great use of AI.

As other has commented: hit the return- tab, and the part comes out at the other end of the cable.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....

bob460
New Member
New Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:19 am

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by bob460 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:51 am

Cool stuff...........i like it!!

Good job SchmidtMotorWorks.

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6245
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by exhaustgases » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Just curious is that what they used to design those cracking parts on the 737NG? I still think the old slide rule dudes in the past had a better handle on stuff.

hoffman900
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by hoffman900 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Yeah, because no plane before AI designed parts ever fell out of the sky...

What a silly statement, but not surprising. I’d rather not go back to when planes were less safe, louder, and slower.
-Bob

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor
Posts: 10108
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:30 am

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:28 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:47 pm
Just curious is that what they used to design those cracking parts on the 737NG? I still think the old slide rule dudes in the past had a better handle on stuff.
Not even close to true
Jet airliner fuel efficiency has nearly doubled since the 1980's
http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com Prototypes, Tooling, Molds.

hoffman900
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Artificial Intelligence to Design Lightweight Parts

Post by hoffman900 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:50 pm

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:28 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:47 pm
Just curious is that what they used to design those cracking parts on the 737NG? I still think the old slide rule dudes in the past had a better handle on stuff.
Not even close to true
Jet airliner fuel efficiency has nearly doubled since the 1980's
This. And much safer.
-Bob

Post Reply