tall deck and intake spacer plates

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kurshuk

tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Kurshuk »

On a Tall deck 9.325 sbc block, are you using gaskets on both sides of the plates, just RTV, or gaskets between the plates and intake and rtv between the block and spacers? :?

If just using rtv… which do you use? Its seem more are using the ultra gray type of rtv. I would think getting the intake manifold off would be difficult to say the least just using rtv.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: tall deck and intake spacer plates

Post by Alaskaracer »

I'm running a big block but have spacers. I run gaskets on both sides, only silicone the end rails and very thin coat around the water ports... 10.7" deck on my stuff running a 10.2" version intake.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

Thanks for the reply... I have seen a picture of an engine with the spacers and there was no gaskets just gray rtv, like ultra gray. That would have to be difficult to remove I would think.

:-k :-k
norm

Post by norm »

Whatever you decide make sure it will hold up to fuel.

From the last line of the instructions-- "NOTE: Not recommended for use on head gaskets or on parts in contact with gasoline."

https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... t-maker-2/
67RS502
Expert
Expert

Post by 67RS502 »

If youre going to be pulling the intake, you can use small screws on the spacers and mount the spacers to the head, so they are part of the heads, enabling you to pull the intake off.
67 camaro
girly rollers on pumpgas:
420 - 641hp BretBauerCam, 1.39, 9.79 @ 137.5
383 - 490hp 224/224, 1.56, 10.77 @ 124.6
502 - 626hp 252/263, 049s 1.44, 10.08 @ 132.7
62 Nova cruiser
383/200-4R/12-bolt w 373s
224/224 HR cam
1.57 10.97 @ 121.2
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

norm wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:56 pm Whatever you decide make sure it will hold up to fuel.

From the last line of the instructions-- "NOTE: Not recommended for use on head gaskets or on parts in contact with gasoline."

RTV silicone tends to dissolve in gasoline. Permatex "The Right Stuff" does not list gasoline as an approved liquid.

However, Good Old Permatex #3 "Aviation sealer" says it's good for joining machined surfaces, AND it's gasoline resistant. Sounds like just the thing to attach a nice, flat spacer to a nice, flat cylinder head gasket surface.
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

67RS502 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:41 pm If youre going to be pulling the intake, you can use small screws on the spacers and mount the spacers to the head, so they are part of the heads, enabling you to pull the intake off.
Thanks! will definitely do that. I was thinking of dowels to keep everything aligned. :)
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

norm wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:56 pm Whatever you decide make sure it will hold up to fuel.

Fuel for this engine is Methanol... so maybe it would be ok. Thanks for pointing that out!
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

Schurkey wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 pm

RTV silicone tends to dissolve in gasoline. Permatex "The Right Stuff" does not list gasoline as an approved liquid.

However, Good Old Permatex #3 "Aviation sealer" says it's good for joining machined surfaces, AND it's gasoline resistant. Sounds like just the thing to attach a nice, flat spacer to a nice, flat cylinder head gasket surface.
Not sure how that would work with methanol, you thin #3 with alcohol. Would have to look into that one. I have this on the shelf... will have to test it. Thanks!
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Sorry. Methanol as a fuel never occurs to me. They sold M-05 (methanol-based "Gasohol") here for six months or so before changing to E-10; back around 1980--'81. I've never had a methanol-fueled race car.
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

Schurkey wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:03 pm Sorry. Methanol as a fuel never occurs to me. They sold M-05 (methanol-based "Gasohol") here for six months or so before changing to E-10; back around 1980--'81. I've never had a methanol-fueled race car.
Since moving to methanol I will never move back! :)
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

Another question on the spacer plates... is there any affect on the intake port flow with the spacer plates. This is using an individual runner fuel injection manifold. :?: