EMC 289

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: EMC 289

Post by Walter R. Malik »

It seems there are two threads running under the same title and I'm getting it all mixed-up.
Oh, well.

I am pretty sure others probably are, also.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:40 pm It seems there are two threads running under the same title and I'm getting it all mixed-up.
Oh, well.

I am pretty sure others probably are, also.

There is Mummert’s Engine, which Bill-C supplied the basis of the heads for. I asked how this engine differs from the road race versions he uses this head for. Someone asked a question, and he and I responded.

You could just ask a question about Mummert’s engine if you want to steer it back on topic?

This doesn’t seem hard...
-Bob
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Not hard ... however, I didn't think it was a requirement for someone to steer it back "on topic".
The going "off topic" was certainly more than just comparing other engines with completely different rules to Geoff's EMC cylinder heads.
I was simply wondering if someone was going to begin their own different thread which I could then follow.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:19 pm Not hard ... however, I didn't think it was a requirement for someone to steer it back "on topic".
The going "off topic" was certainly more than just comparing other engines with completely different rules to Geoff's EMC cylinder heads.
I was simply wondering if someone was going to begin their own different thread which I could then follow.
Geoff, was there some special modifications made inside the oil pan and crankcase other than simple over the counter stuff...?

Those "68 Ford 302 4 barrel heads you mention which are hard to find ... are those the ones with the 289 type "kidney" chamber...?
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

The 68 four barrel heads as far as I know are just 289 heads with 302 numbers on them. The pan is a GT-350 replica pan standard Aviad part, so it has neat baffles and trap doors in it for road racing. My buddy Dave built a nice perforated metal shield that bolted to the main girdle, but thats about it.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Quick pic testing tri-y and home brew waterpump drive
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mummert Y-blocks
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Why that cylinder pairing on the tri-y? Did you think about buying the Elston spec headers CA sells? Was there a rule on what constitutes a “production” header? If it’s a catalog item, is it then considered “production” even if made to order?

On the Sportbikes that use that pairing, obviously they have different firing orders, but they run a balance tune between the secondaries.
-Bob
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

A V-8 is a pair of odd fire 4 cylinders hooked together to make an even fire 8. V-8 Tri-y work on a 270-450-270-450 basis, the other side is y'ed every other. This common for all 90* v-8's
Mummert Y-blocks
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Mummert wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:52 pm A V-8 is a pair of odd fire 4 cylinders hooked together to make an even fire 8. V-8 Tri-y work on a 270-450-270-450 basis, the other side is y'ed every other. This common for all 90* v-8's
You're right. I had a brain fart. I'm use to seeing them like this:

The front primary looping under is typical on I-4s or flat plane cranks as it pairs with cylinder #4, had it all registered in my head wrong.
-Bob
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

left bank 5-8 pairing is every other.

Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Mummert wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:09 pm The 68 four barrel heads as far as I know are just 289 heads with 302 numbers on them. The pan is a GT-350 replica pan standard Aviad part, so it has neat baffles and trap doors in it for road racing. My buddy Dave built a nice perforated metal shield that bolted to the main girdle, but thats about it.
Geoff i no its not iron but have you worked much with the edelbrock estreet series heads at all or the next step up the jrs? We did a 306 with mildly ported estreet and airgap. And the performance really surprised me.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Years back, we played with perfomers rpm, which I believe are the same as E-street but with better parts, and vic jrs,. I liked the performer rpms pre 2003' before they changed the casting, on smaller engines.
If there is something to be learned from this whole project, what it takes to make 450 hp on a pump gas 289 as far as cylinder heads go is more based on air speed than based on big flow numbers.
Mummert Y-blocks
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

Geoff,

Your thoughts in the " 400" EMC " thread ?

Jon
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

Mummert wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:32 am . The bore was 4.041 filled by off the shelf JE SRP Pro flat top pistons. We played some games to get the ring tension down. Compression 10.47:1
Any thought given in using a zero-gap ring in an application like this ?

Jon
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

JC565Ford wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:48 pm
Mummert wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:32 am . The bore was 4.041 filled by off the shelf JE SRP Pro flat top pistons. We played some games to get the ring tension down. Compression 10.47:1
Any thought given in using a zero-gap ring in an application like this ?
I think regular are rings pretty near zero gap when the engine is running. But I think zero gap rings give you nice cold leak down.
Jon
The ring people don't do a good job at showing scientific testing that I've seen , people are either for them or not. Engines are filled with compromise. Lets a say a zero gap ring had less cylinder leak at low running speeds, that would show a torque gain, if you put a conventional ring in the engine that had more leakage but it had less drag, it might show you the same power.
Mummert Y-blocks