BRODIX 5" BORE SPACE BLOCK QUESTIONS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

garym
BRODIX 5" BORE SPACE BLOCK QUESTIONS

Post by garym »

I am possibly going to purchase a 5 inch bore space aluminum block and I have a few questions on which type of cam bearings .I was planning on a 60mm cam bearing babbit instead of a roller type bearing and was hoping some one here could show some pics as to how the center 3 cam bearings are retained in the block with the babbit type bearings. Or is a 55mm roller cam bearing a better way to go? Engine will be either a 738 or a 762 cu in. And my other question is the HIP process a good option to go with , I assume the block is stronger having this done? I would appreciate if a pic could be posted.I enjoy this forum very much. THANKS gary m
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: BRODIX 5" BORE SPACE BLOCK QUESTIONS

Post by mt-engines »

They use spirolocs in the front and rear if i remember correctly and a 1/4" allen heads to lock in the middle. Id use the babbit.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Personally, I'd go for the HIP process. The block is subjected to elevated temps around 900* and pressures of around 15000 psi using an inert gas, usually argon.
Hot Isostatic Pressing (HIP) for densification of metal castings occurs by the uniform application of gas pressure at an elevated temperature upon a material in all directions. Internal microporosity is reduced or eliminated, greatly increasing the cast products mechanical properties, as well as improving the quality of its machined surface.

The HIP Process:

Decreases or eliminates microporosity.
Improves product consistency with less variation in mechanical properties.
Enhances impact strength, toughness, and machined surface finish.
Removes shrinkage defects, creep voids, and internal cracks.
For example, for A356, it changes these specific properties of the aluminum

Code: Select all

Ultimate tensile strength (ksi)	Yield strength (ksi)	Elongation (%)	Stress (ksi) Life (cycle)
A356 Al alloy as-cast plus heat treatment	     
          37.5	                        30.6	                        1.9	         20	      2 X 10^5
A356 Al alloy -- Densal II + T6	   
          39.9	                         31.2	                          4	        20	      6 X 10^5
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
garym

Post by garym »

Thanks for the replys.So how does the 3 button head screws retain the center 3 cam bearings?? Are the screws to keep the cam bearing from spinning or to keep the cam bearing from moving back and forth?? I guess that no one here has any pics but thanks anyway. gary m
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

garym wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:44 pm Thanks for the replys.So how does the 3 button head screws retain the center 3 cam bearings?? Are the screws to keep the cam bearing from spinning or to keep the cam bearing from moving back and forth?? I guess that no one here has any pics but thanks anyway. gary m
They keep them from moving back and forward, you can use green loctite like some guys do. But the bearings to use are fully grooved on the backside. So even if they slip a bit, you still get oil. If i get one in soon i can send you some pics.
garym

Post by garym »

THANKS gary m
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

I run the 4.84" inch block, but have roller bearings. They are retained by spiral locks. Was gonna do babbit bearings but block came setup for the roller so just stuck with it....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer