cylinder head port epoxy question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

garym
cylinder head port epoxy question

Post by garym »

I would like to know what would be beast product to use to seal/protect the epoxy in my aluminum cylinder head intake ports?The epoxy that was in the heads was old and was starting to crack so I ground the epoxy out and applied new epoxy in the intake ports on the heads, so I wold like to put some type of clear sealant over the epoxy.I would like to know if POR 15 CLEAR would be a good product to use? They also have a caliper paint as well.Any suggestions or input on what to use would be great. THANKS gary m
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: cylinder head port epoxy question

Post by ProPower engines »

garym wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:21 pm I would like to know what would be beast product to use to seal/protect the epoxy in my aluminum cylinder head intake ports?The epoxy that was in the heads was old and was starting to crack so I ground the epoxy out and applied new epoxy in the intake ports on the heads, so I wold like to put some type of clear sealant over the epoxy.I would like to know if POR 15 CLEAR would be a good product to use? They also have a caliper paint as well.Any suggestions or input on what to use would be great. THANKS gary m
My 1st question is what kind/brand of epoxy did you apply over the areas affected???
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
garym

Post by garym »

I do not know what was used the first time but I used JB WELD this time. I have used JB WELD before and it seems to work ok on manifolds, I have a new set of sb chevy aluminum heads and I plan to use splash zone 788 on these new heads, but on the old brodix sb chevy heads that I have I used the jb weld. thanks gary m
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I haven't heard of its use in this app, but model aircraft dope is formulated to resist alcohol and nitro fuel blends...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

Has anybody tried any of the epoxy fuel tank sealers on the market today?
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Whatever the product is, not only does it have to withstand attack from fuel, it has to be resistant to high heat.
garym

Post by garym »

The heat/temp is a question that I have on whatever type sealant/coating to use.I think caliper paint ( POR ) has a epoxy aluminum caliper paint that I am thinking might work but I guess the only thing to do is call POR 15 as they have a toll free tech line.What would be an approiate temp range? And while I ask the temp range question what is the temp range for SPLASH ZONE 788A/788B ??? Thanks for all the repplys hope to get more info on this.
THANKS gary m