Fontana midget - MLS head gasket?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Fontana midget - MLS head gasket?

Post by KnightEngines »

Got a little Fontana midget speedway engine in, head needs resurfacing, if possible I want to switch to MLS head gasket instead of copper.

Does anyone know if they're available for these engines?

Head is like SB2.2 valve layout, but non cross flow.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert
Re: Fontana midget - MLS head gasket?

Post by BlitzA64 »

I ran Gaerte blocks but I believe the Fontana is basically a Chevy II. The original head back in the late 70's/early 80's was Australian, I remember Bud Meyer building one with a Chevy II block and setting a few records in boat racing.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Is it like this one? If so, this should work, depending on what thickness you need, as it's MLS. If it's the right design, I'm sure you could ask Cometic if they have anything other than .040"

https://www.cometic.com/i-24768689-gm-r ... -each.html
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

BlitzA64 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:34 am I ran Gaerte blocks but I believe the Fontana is basically a Chevy II. The original head back in the late 70's/early 80's was Australian, I remember Bud Meyer building one with a Chevy II block and setting a few records in boat racing.
Turns out I actually know the guy that did the port design for the heads.
midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:02 pm Is it like this one? If so, this should work, depending on what thickness you need, as it's MLS. If it's the right design, I'm sure you could ask Cometic if they have anything other than .040"

https://www.cometic.com/i-24768689-gm-r ... -each.html
Nope, not that one!
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

Mr. Duggan? Of Arias/Duggan? I worked at Arias during that whole program and then Arias sold it to Joe Fontana, by then they all aluminum blocks.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Is it the 'Tasmanian Devil' or whatever that engine is that they developed that's based on the Chevy II engine?

cylinder head

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0808sr-tasmanian-devil/
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:11 am Is it the 'Tasmanian Devil' or whatever that engine is that they developed that's based on the Chevy II engine?

cylinder head

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0808sr-tasmanian-devil/
Yep, that's the one!
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Not having much luck with this.

This particular engine runs the Fontana head, the bolt pattern is neither chev nor Windsor, looks like it's chevy 2 bolt pattern.
Mls head gaskets for a chevy 2 with 4.06" bore seem to be thin on the ground....
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Is there anything that matches the bore & spacing & has at least a few of the headbolts line up?
After the important stuff, fire rings & what positions them, everything else is low stress/tech & can be pretty easily modified.
Sorry. Good luck.