72 corvette heads, manifold, and camshaft questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

sowen57
Re: 72 corvette heads, manifold, and camshaft questions

Post by sowen57 »

Thanks magg 2555, I am a little leery of single plane but probably need to hear from some of the head porters on here, to see what's possible, it would certainly be easier to modify.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The base of the L88 air cleaner is the same as the base of the other sbc and bbc high perf engine 14" open element air cleaners. L71. LT1 L78 etc.
Yes it will fit a Qjet. You can check the drop on yours.
Is you 72 sbc vette air cleaner open element or closed with ducts? What is the drop? (Inches).

You could consider changing the hood to the LT-1 car hood. This hood allows a good dual plane hirise manifold. Store yiur origional stock hood in the shipping box, for another day.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Re: Porting and modifing that low rise Weiand team G "Street Ram" intake. You might ask David Vizard about that one. It is covered in his sbc book (engine combo #8)
I recomend that you at least try out a plenum divider.
Can be full or can be a partial divider. Use a qjet (divided) carb spacer to support it in the plenum.

You can drive test and drag test it against the low performer or your stock qjet intake.

I think the long rods and forged crank are a waste of time and money on this street motor.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Also note DV's advice on using a street solid roller cam as in his engine combo#8 383 with that weiand intake.
I have used these cams. They deliver just as DV says.
Set the lash tight. The valvetrain noise is very low.
The valetrain lash stays put. The cams are easy on lifters.
None of the bs problems of the trick of the week hyd roller lifters and radical open close hyd roller cams.
(Noise inconsistant performance)
You get the lift and valve open area you seek.
These are "STREET" roller cams. A custom grind of this is a phone call away. (Custom LSA , single pattern, etc)

Note: the 1972 350 LT-1 engine had a street friendly solid lifter camshaft.

Consider using the new Edelbrock 800 AVS2 carb vs your QJet. It will do everything that matters better.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Sounds like a plan. The one thing I would probably do different is use a 5.7 rod. Only reason is most of the 6" rod pistons use an oil ring support rail and I prefer not to have them on a street engine. Just my preference. I dont think the rod length will make a bit of difference in your application.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

How much power are expecting or do you want?
Jim
sowen57

Post by sowen57 »

I am starting to lean towards the 5.7 rod as well not really interested in the oil ring support spacer either. I will be using the 9000 series cast steel crank not the forged. Only looking for 6000 RPM and 450ish HP and torque. I have the dual snorkle AC, might consider the 73-75 hood with the sealed cowl induction hood, not a fan of the LT1 or L88 style hoods. Its going to have a Qjet as I know them, and know they will give the performance and driveability I want.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Consider getting another stock corvette hood like yours
Then graft on a Stinger style (67 Stingray) hood scoop.
This will allow using the edelbrock Performer RPM Dual Quad Dual Plane high intake and 2X Edelbrock carbs.

Big performance Big power . Justifies using the AFR195 CNC heads.
Great visuals. All the drivabilty of a Qjet.
ALot more power and torque. Can't beat Dual Quad Induction on a Street Vette.
Custom Cold Air Dual Quad Air Cleaner that seals to the "Stinger" hood. Like the 426 Hemi Cuda AirCleaner.
A Factory appearance.
I am not crazy about the L88 hood either.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The 73 up cowl induction corvette hood will/may require modifing your stock 72 windshield wiper system.
My set up does not, (butcher the 72 vette wipers) and opens the door to using a RPM high rise Dual Plane or RPM Dual Quad High rise Dual Plane.
(Aftermarket Stinger Scoop bonded onto a (another) Stock 1972 Vette hood.
Something to consider.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

mt-engines wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 pm wow.... lots of great advice here. :roll:
Yes. LOL
LOL, and that great advise continues. LOl :lol:

Won't be long till the OP is gonna need a blower and a tunnel ram and 4 carbs. LOL

Randy
sowen57

Post by sowen57 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. But I have gone from asking about suggestions for a nice daily driver 383 to now building a dual quad, solid roller cammed engine that will require hood surgery to fit in the car. Does anyone have any first hand experience with the kind of engine I originally asked about?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

BillK wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 pm Sounds like a plan. The one thing I would probably do different is use a 5.7 rod. Only reason is most of the 6" rod pistons use an oil ring support rail and I prefer not to have them on a street engine. Just my preference. I dont think the rod length will make a bit of difference in your application.
What is the problem with an oil ring support on a street engine ?
sowen57

Post by sowen57 »

There probably isn't a problem with the oil ring spacer, but there also may not be any benefit to a 6 inch rod in this engine so it becomes a part I don' need to fuss with.
sowen57

Post by sowen57 »

Has anyone used a regular performer manifold or any of it's cousins Weiand Holley China etc. to build the kind of power I am looking for?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

A victor jr with a drop base aircleaner and holley 4150 worked perfect under the stock hood of my 79. A performer rpm will give better results and fit even better with the same filter and carb.